• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help setting up Rock Shox forks pls
  • Aus
    Free Member

Just upgraded from old old Pace forks, to some Rock Shox SID Team 2008 (bought off here) so am new to set up intricacies.

Have set up as per manual and bought them as 100mm travel. They're moving plushly and all seems well, except according to the stanchion guides, they're resting at c. 90mm travel ie. I can't get the 100mm guide to be exposed but at rest, they sit 10mm above the 80mm guide mark. Measuring the total stanchion showing = 95-100mm. Why won't they 'rebound' to give full 100mm travel?

Any help (explained in simpleton terms pls) would be fab

Ta

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is a relatively common problem with air forks and RS in particular. I think it has something to do with the negative chamber (the chamber that helps push the fork back to full extension) becoming flooded with oil. The negative chamber works on the last part of extension/the first part of travel I think, hence why if it stops doing its job, it causes the last 10% of extension to fail – doe that make sense.

Best thing to do is call TF Tuned as they can handle warranty issues and it's a relativel easy fix if that is the problem.

Aus
    Free Member

Ah – maybe makes sense. When I let a little air out of the -ve chamber, a little oil splurts out too

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

When you put more air pressure in the neg chamber than the pos – the stanchion lowers are forced up a bit. Some folk like them like this (gives better small bump compliance or summit). If you want to check (and have a shock pump) let some air out of the neg chamber until the the pos is about 10 psi higher than the neg.

Oh – and getting a little spurt of oil is normal: even a good sign. There should be oil in there.

Aus
    Free Member

cool – will try. And am I right thinking you inflate +ve first, bounce a couple of times, and then -ve?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are they dual air forks? (2 air valves, one top, one bottom)
    If so, have a gander at this little guide of mine –>

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AVAoGIWBz4H1ZGc5bjJxNTJfMGh2MmtiZGdr&hl=en

🙂

Aus
    Free Member

many thanks PP – v helpful guide

Kip

Mr PeterPoddy
    that’s flipping genius that is…cheers 😀
    Will sort my new to me 2008 Rebas according to this tomorrow and hopefully won’t find them to be totally mullered as I though they were today!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help setting up Rock Shox forks pls’ is closed to new replies.