Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help! Saving my little man's face! (Full Face recommendations)
  • parkie8

Hello,

My six year old is loving his biking. However, he keeps using his face for a brake….esp at speed. Obviously, we’ve stuck him in a helmet (Bell Faction), but he has now planted his face twice. Yesterday’s trip to A&E and emerg dentist sees him trudging off to school today with a chipped tooth and a very aching jaw bone.

Can anyone suggest a good / light weight full-face lid?

Also, am I right to be concerned that sticking a full-face on him will just increase the risk of neck injury?

Would appreciate some info……was much easier when I was a kid….we just bled a lot!

joemarshall
    Free Member

I think BMX clubs require full face helmets, so I guess there are ones that are okay for little kids. They don’t look too heavy.

No idea what they are, but if no one on here is any use the local bmx club will know.

reedspeed
    Free Member

My 7yr olds done it a few times,but,as you say,we all did it !!,however,does he just do it when youre there ?,or on his own ?.

I_Ache
    Free Member

THE make a FF for kids.

br
    Free Member

tbh With any helmet you need to try before buy, and we just got ours (son was about 8 then) from our local LBS – who when the ones they had in were too big had no problem in getting one in for his size, although it took a few attempts as he was so wee.

Son and friend:

igm

My six year old fits a small adult Giro full face. It isn’t that light though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The black 661 in the pic above would be good for a child because the chin piece doesn’t come out very far. I had one and I could almost lick it, only lasted two rides before I sold it to my brother.

ianv
    Free Member

Small adult should be fine.

parkie8

Thanks, all. Good info.

I Ache and b r; 661, do seem to do a good xs full face, so may go down that route.

igm; does your 6yr old struggle with the weight or is it a ‘get used to’ thing?

reedspeed; once with me there (downhill…one min’ he was next to me laughing his head-off, the next min’ I’m picking him up off the floor), yesterday’s was all his own fault, (coming off the bottom of a ramp. Lost the back end and used his front teeth to break the fall).

Appreciate the help.

aracer
    Free Member

My 5yo lost a tooth coming off his bike (trip to emergency dentist etc.) Though that was doing tricks whilst riding back from school – should I put him in a full-facer for that? 😯

blueraven
    Free Member

After my youngest had a couple faceplants on general XC/trail centre stuff I picked up a lightweight XC helmet with a faceguard, his riding doesnt really justify a heavy full face helmet.

Depends what kind of riding your lad is doing really I guess but if its not full on DH you might wanna look at something like THIS its light enough to ride in all day and sufficient for what my lad rides.

parkie8

blueraven. Great link, thanks.

For everyone/anyone intrested: the 661 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sixsixone-Comp-Shifted-Unisex-Helmet/dp/B005PLQMEW/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img) weights the same as the Cratoni (http://www.cratoni.de/en/bike-helmets/1291794700_mr/c-maniac.html) at 265g.

My kids current helmet (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bell-Faction-Black-Medium-Helmet/dp/B000NOO5RM/ref=sr_1_17?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1347875513&sr=1-17) weights in at 397g. Perhaps that’s why his head seems to make the ground before his hands?

We’ll see if a lighter weight stuck on his head gives him a chance to get his hands down faster!

Thanks for all of your help!

igm

Parkie – struggles and refuses to admit it I think.

parkie8

igm – don’t we all!!!!

ianv
    Free Member

My son started wearing a full face (Azonic Fury, small) at 6 and he never had any issue with the weight. He does not wear it all the time though, just for bmx and downhill. I am pretty sure he would hate to have to wear one all the time though, riding any distance in a full face would be horrible.

The urge enduro-matic might be worth a look as a possible compromise.

At his bmx club there are loads of younger kids wearing them no problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help! Saving my little man's face! (Full Face recommendations)’ is closed to new replies.