Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help please, quiet or sound proof internal doors.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi all, I’m trying to shut out noise from other rooms in the house & need some help or experience of others in the know.
    Any ideas, are fire doors quieter by there nature? A self closing option would be good, as would catches that are quieter than the standard cheapo B&Q items that seem to echo through the house since I gave in to the wife & replaced the carpet with wood flooring 🙁

Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d say more sound will pass through a partition wall then most solid doors…….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The wall in question is brick & plaster boarded each side, so it’s possible most of the noise is coming through in between the door & frame, but it seems the actual door is the main culprit.
    I’m really looking for a ready made solution if possible.
    Cheers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nbt

fire doors block a LOT more sound than a regular door, yes, and self closers will help but are incredibly annoying. Fitting fire doors if not easy, they’re big heavy things and take some work to heft around. takes me around 3 hours to hang a fire door with the aid of a mate to move it around, so expect to pay for a half day if you get a man in to fit it. Fire doors are a little more expensive to buy than regular doors too – we have four panel doors, the lightweight ones were about £15 and the firedoors were £50 from B&Q.

BTW If you want a plain wood flush firedoor, I have a spare in the garage going free…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Doors are nearly always the weak point in any wall (accousticly anyhow). You can have a 50DbRw rated wall, fit a normal fire door (about 28DbRw) and the performance of the whole wall drops to almost that of the door alone. Sound rated doors are very expensive and very heavy!
    For most uses though we spec a normal well fitted fire door possibly with a drop down seal at the bottom and accoustic seals around the sides.

project
    Free Member

Howdens do sound blocking doors, fire doors are also thicker than normal doors so will stick out of the frame edge.

Spongebob
    Free Member

The door is where a lot of sound escapes. Double airtight seals round the edges will help.

For the door, something heavy and dense that doesn’t resonate too much.

In a deep door frame, perhaps you could hang two doors with a void inbetween. The handles would need to be low profile and offset however.

Acoustic plasterboad is available for walls. There’s acoustic decoupling systems for studwork too.

Best to ask a sound engineer really.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks for the replies chaps, & the very kind offer from the notoriously bad typist, thanks for that, but I’m sure you understand women, plain doors won’t cut it 😉
    I hadn’t heard about airtight door seals before, do you have a link to somewhere with info? a solid door with airtight seals could prevent me from having to rip out the frame if fire doors a that much thicker.

All the best to you all, thanks.

project
    Free Member

You could fit an intumescent smoke seal to the door edge, involves tyhe use of Router,this will seal the door edges.

nbt

thanks for that, but I’m sure you understand women, plain doors won’t cut it

Why do you think I’ve learned how to hang doors, know that fire doors are £50 a pop, and have one going spare? I’ve had to replace ten bloody doors, that’s why….

Airtight doesn’t sound good, surely you want to breathe?

And an intumescent strip should make no difference at all, when fitted they should be flush with the frame and only expand when subjected to heat from a fire – trust me, I have several firedoors with intumescent strips in the house 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks to you all, it seems the best thing I can do is fit a heavy door with a seal, best I speak to these guys.

Thanks again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help please, quiet or sound proof internal doors.’ is closed to new replies.