Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • help please – mmmbop front mech?
  • jamiep
    Free Member

Previously had a top pull Deore but a crash cracked the bracket and I now need to get the damn thing adjusted before every ride. In fact, it was never great before then.

This came to a head last night when I spent 2 hours failing to set it up properly and the adjuster screw heads are now well passed their best (I my have had a few cans while doing this, which will have contributed :wink:).

Anyone got a link to a suitable replacement? I’m a relative newbie and so don’t know all my options. Running 3×9

Cheers. 1×9 2×9 isn’t an option at the moment – I want this sorted in time for a bikepacking weekend

perthmtb
    Free Member

Erm… another Deore 3×9?

Like the M590 here

Just make sure of your terminology, do you really mean “top pull” or “top swing”. The former is when the cable approaches from above, but is irrelevant as all Shimano FDs are now dual pull. However, the latter means the clamp is below the cage, like this

Versus bottom swing (or conventional) where the clamp is above the cage, like this

It matters because some frames only have clearance for one or ‘tother. To be safe, just look at what your current one is, and replace like with like.

jamiep
    Free Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. my current one is the bottom pick but your link is to the bottom pick. Now confused as to which to get.

I didnt want a like-for-like because I’d always struggled setting that one up

perthmtb
    Free Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. my current one is the bottom pick but your link is to the bottom top pick. Now confused as to which to get.

Ah Ok, well here’s the link to the one in the bottom pic M591 The model number of the top swing is M590, and the bottom swing M591. Confusingly there are also 10 speed versions with the same model numbers, so make sure you get the 9 speed ones.

I didnt want a like-for-like because I’d always struggled setting that one up

There’s no real difference in setup or operation between them, it’s just matter of where there’s room on your seat tube for the clamp, as some frames have suspension linkages, bottle holder bolts, or curved frametubes where one or other clamp goes.

So, you’re really better off replacing like with like. All FDs basically setup and operate in exactly the same way – be they SRAM or Shimano, 8/9/10 speed, double or triple, so choosing a different model is not going to help you with setup. Just follow the instructions that come with it carefully, step by step, and if you still have problems come back on here to ask advice…

jamiep
    Free Member

cheers pal. ordered, but slx for the same money

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘help please – mmmbop front mech?’ is closed to new replies.