Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • help please – can you swap cantilever brakes for V brakes?????
  • any2wheels
    Free Member

some help for a novice please…….will normal deore v brakes fit straight on to forks and pivots for old cantilever brakes and still work??…….were the designed on the same geometry??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Worked for me.

qwerty
    Free Member

Y E S

any2wheels
    Free Member

many thanks lads…..

convert

but you’ll need different levers as V’s require more cable pull thant cant’s

mugsys_m8

The actual brake mounts should be the same. So the brake calipers will be fine. However I think the ‘pull ratios’ are different, so that they might not work well with a lever designed for cantis. Not sure what you are planning lever wise.

Prob not directyl relevant, but to give you an idea of pull ratio problems: On road/ cross bikes V brakes need a travel adjuster etc if a road STI lever is being used because of the difference in pull ratios, whilst cantis are designed t work with the pull ratio of the STI lever…

I’m sure someone will be along to say I’ve got it right, or to say I’ve got it wrong…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu need v brake levers as well – When I converted my bike I could get the Vs to work with canti levers but the lever travel was very long and soft

epicyclo
    any2wheels
    Free Member

gonna get a complete deore set from wiggle…..so sounds like it could be good……many thanks people.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘help please – can you swap cantilever brakes for V brakes?????’ is closed to new replies.