• This topic has 29 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Help! Persistently stinky dog content
  • v8ninety

Our family dog, who is knocking on a bit, has developed a rather pungent odour, which is sort of fishy. She’s been to the vets who suggests blocked anal glands. We now know how to clear them (bork) but it’s not made a huge difference to the smell. She’s also had antibiotics to no good effect. We are getting to the end of our tether with it now to be honest; she’s becoming an increasingly out door dog as a result, and it’s a shame.

As a last resort I thought a quick consult with veterinarytrackworld would be worth a shot. Any ideas or suggestions? Humorous or otherwise welcome…

stox
    Free Member

I was going to say anal glands. Are you sure you are fully emptying them?

We give our dog fibre with her food to keep her poo firm ..this helps to ensure her glands empty each time she toilets.

cinnamon_girl

Is she ‘scooting’ ?

daftvader
    Free Member

Our dog has bottom breath (smells like when the anal glands have let go) we are using a product called plaque off amd after a few days seems to be making a difference. May be worth a look?

v8ninety

Yeah, emptying okay, we think. She has good firm poo too, which is a small mercy. Her glands don’t seem to be impacted, and she’s not distressed. Just smelly! She’s not scooting, and she’s not got (especially) bad breath, I don’t think.

cinnamon_girl

What do you feed her on? Older dogs can be less tolerant to rich food so perhaps something bland such as chicken and rice?

daftvader
    Free Member

What about a medicated shampoo?

andyl
    Free Member

First thought was anal glands too.

Bit of all bran mixed into her food perhaps? (as stox mentions)

Also dentastix mint flavour to help with any breath

v8ninety

She eats ‘Wagg worker dry food, with no extras. She’s got a good appetite, and ironically, her actual poo isn’t that smelly. I’m stating to think again about breath now though. I’m going to have a good look in her mouth again. Thanks for the thoughts so far x

cinnamon_girl

That’s your problem right there! Would you eat dry food???

mountainman

Bad breath is our old Bernese’s problem,tooth rot was the cause,check the mouth out carefully as some vets are reluctant to poke around the nashers.

v8ninety

She loves dry food, lol! She has plenty of water available all the time, and has eat it for years. Not sure why dry food would start to make her smell after 10 years, but I’m open to a sensible rationale; we’ll try anything. In my experience though, wet food fed dogs can smell worse than dry food fed dogs. (And it’s not dog fart pong; it’s less intense but more constant).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Our dog always ate dry food, @cinamon most dogs will eat anything and be happy with it provoded they are started early.

OP teeth/breath would have been my suggestion as she’s already on dry food (I agree totally about wet vs dry food when it comes to smell). Increased farting / smell etc is not something restricted to dogs in old age 😐

andyl
    Free Member

I would never feed our dog on wet food. At 7 1/2 she still wolfs down her dry kibble like a dog that’s been starved for a week and offered a bowl of freshly cooked chicken.

cinnamon_girl

Did the vet examine her/feel around the tummy for any bloating or tenderness?

v8ninety

Did the vet examine her/feel around the tummy for any bloating or tenderness?

I expect/hope so (but I didn’t take her), that would surely be part of any basic examination, wouldn’t it? (But IAMAV). In any case, her tummy doesn’t seem tender or bloated, and it remains her favourite thing to present to a besocked foot for a rub. She’s not actually poorly or off colour in any way, just increasingly honking. I’m going to have a good look at her teeth next, I think.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

That’s your problem right there! Would you eat dry food???

Spot on!
    A quick google of Wagg Worker reveals thatr the main ingredient is “cereals”. I suspect that much of that will be wheat.
    We knocked wheat out of our dogs’ diet and haven’t had a problem with anal glands, or fishy arse, since (3 years).

Give the poor bugger some decent stuff.

What sort of dog is it?

EDIT:

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0014/wagg-complete

cheviots
    Free Member

On the other hand both our dogs are fed dry food (eukanuba) and are in tip top health. YMMV
    One of my parents dogs many years ago developed a smell, which after lots of differant diets and visits/tests at the vets was diagnosed with a kidney disorder, which was treated with some powder being dissolved in its water bowl.

You are probably doing all you can, but maybe try to go to the vets yourself next time and voice your concerns.

v8ninety

Really interesting stuff to think about, thanks!

easygirl

Our dog used to smell yeasty, was a skin infection that was cured with a medicated shampoo?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

On the other hand both our dogs are fed dry food (eukanuba) and are in tip top health.

Eukanuba is a whole different kettle of fish though.
    Wagg has “cereals” as the main ingredient, with “chicken” coming in at 4%.

This Eukanuba has meat as the main ingredient, with no wheat at all:

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0097/eukanuba-adult-large-breed-rich-in-lamb

Wagg is cheap shit. I’d change that before doing owt else.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Yea possibly content of dry food as mentioned.
    We feed ours Eden and don’t have any issues.
    When trying other things (with wheat) had smells similar to what you describe

Sandwich

Switching to a senior version of whatever you are feeding/going to feed will also help. Feeding the same bulk but with reduced nutrients seems to help the older dog.

v8ninety

Thanks everyone. Going to look into that Eden food, and also get her teeth properly looked at. Dunno about the senior food thing; she’s still very (hyper) active for an old’un

Rob_S
    Free Member

We feed ours on Oscar Pet Food (there are various options)

http://www.oscars.co.uk

to find your local Nutritional Advisor who will be happy to talk to you about the problems you are having and what food may help with the problem.

They also deliver to you to save you lugging bags of dog food around.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

That Eden looks good! 65% Meat and fish, and No grains at all. I’m going to give it a go on my pooches.
    Introduce it gradually over a week or so.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

No help with the stinkiness, and unlikely to be a popular opinion in this thread I suspect, but if a change of food doesn’t help, and you can stick with a primarily cereal based dog food with no ill effect, it will dramatically reduce the carbon footprint of your dog, which is typically equivalent to owning and running an extra car.

bruk

I’d be checking mouth for any rotten teeth as the next step and checking ears too as they can be a source of very bad odours. If the skin is also clear then possibly look at a change of diet.

globalti
    Free Member

Is it possible that you are actally turning into a dog and your sense of smell is becoming more sensitive to doggy aromas? When a pretty poodle bitch trots past, do you find yourself sniffing appreciatively and feeling a stirring in your loins?

LeeW

Just be glad you don’t have two Basset hounds. Other half has two and they’re appalling.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Help! Persistently stinky dog content’ is closed to new replies.