Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help – Paint come off with Heli-tape removal
  • Premier Icon pnik
    Subscriber

Preparing old bike for sale and thought i’d peel off the old heli-tape thats been on since new.

Well that didn’t go so well now have a big patch of bare metal on the side of the down tube, and the paint stuck to the inside of the old tape.

Its an On One 29er inbred in the bright orange, respray would cost more than its worth. Any suggestions? Should I try to get some orange touchup paint from Halfords etc.

Premier Icon pnik
    Subscriber

By the way I have no expectation of a perfect repair, but I’d like to be able to stop any corrosion on the frame and to make it look less obvious.

Premier Icon pnik
    Subscriber

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

Can’t help with the paintwork (put a sticker over it?) but to get the heli tape off safely you need to heat it up first (e.g. hairdryer) so the glue softens.

Premier Icon pnik
    Subscriber

Yeah, although heating it up seems to have left glue residue everywhere but the cold bit came of clean, well apart from the bare metal.

Concerned that anything covering it up like a sticker or more tape will take more paint off when that is removed.

brownsauce

A big bare patch like that will look crap if you try patch it up with brushed on touch up paint , it needs to be sprayed on , plus a coat of primer if its down to the metal

Damaged letter graphics will make it even harder to get looking respectable

Colour matching it wont be easy at halfords as its click and collect orders only , you cant walk in store to have a look at their paint colour charts.

I’d just adjust price accordingly and sell as is , its a ton of work / hassle for a convincing repair

lightning

To be honest, it’s a sellers market at the moment. My brother just sold his old Kona Blast and it went for over £400.
    People want bikes and new ones are hard to get.

Just list it as is on Ebay, explain how the paint came off, and it will likely fly out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.