Help. Numpty needs help with garmin.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help. Numpty needs help with garmin.
  • Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

So finally took the plunge and ordered a Garmin Edge 530.

All i want to do it upload a GPX route i have created with OS mapping but it wont upload. Says An Error occurred with your upload. Please try again.

Quick google suggest its not a compatible file type. But is a GPX exported from OS mapping. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong before it goes in the bin ?

Thanks all.

whitestone

How are you trying to upload it? Directly via Explorer/Finder or via Garmin Connect? I find the former to be more reliable. I’ve not had any problems with GPX or TCX files from Strava, RideWithGPS, GPSies, etc.

List the exact steps you are taking, otherwise it’s just guesswork as to what’s wrong.

If you go the file copy route then the Edge series require you to copy the file to “New Files” and then reboot the device.

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Cheers Whitestone.

Plotted a route using OS mapping.
    Exported the route to .gpx
    Load Garmin connect.
    Upload the gpx..
    it loads and the instantly says “An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.” Tried it with 3 different GPX tracks. I suspect it doesnt like the GPX file that OS mapping is creating.

How do you guys plot your route in a format that Garmin will work with.

You need to connect the Garmin to your computer and it comes up like a usb memory stick. If you look into the file structure there is a folder called New Files. Put your GXP in there and the Garmin device will convert it. Takes a short time but you will be able to access the route and follow it.

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

I was just about to say what wobbliscott just did.

Premier Icon threerock44
    Subscriber

Semi thread hijack. Do you need to have a card installed in the GPS with OS maps on? (I have a venerable Garmin 800)

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Cheers wobbli…

Worked a treat. Bloody frustrating though that the bespoke software wont do it.

Thanks.

whitestone

GPX is a standard file format – it’s actually a text file in a format known as XML (this is a very strict form of HTML that web pages are written in) – it’s unlikely that the OS are creating an invalid file – try loading it into something like bikehike. If that works then the fault lies in how you are using Garmin Connect.

@wobbliscot gave the step by step instructions of what I’d written.

One thing to note is that the route name that appears on your Garmin device may not be the same as the file name. The route name is held in a field within the file and it’s that what the device uses.

Yes it is a bit odd that it just doesn’t come across and get sucked in automatically. Though you can create routes on Garmin Connect and send directly to my Garmin (desktop and smart phone/tablet apps), so maybe go into the route creator part of Garmin Connect and import the GXP into that before finalising it and exporting it. Probably no less faff that dragging the file across though, but gives you the opportunity to edit it or rename it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.