Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Help – New Job Needed!
  • EvoKnievel
    Free Member

Hello

I'm looking for ideas really – I've been working as a quantity surveyor for the last 12 years. I'm part qualified, and have got to where I am now through hard work and experience.

The thing is, it doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm sick of the internal politics, sick of the lies, the pressure (which is mostly artificial) and "playing the game". I rarely work less than 60 hours a week, which doesn't seem to be enough to satisfy my employer. I feel like I give way too much to the company, when the money I make just goes into someone else's pocket!

An additional problem is that due to existing financial commitments, I need to earn a similar amount to what I do now.

So, what I'm looking for is ideas for a new career direction. I'd ideally like to work outdoors, or at least out of the office at least part of the time.

I have a young family, so regular hours would be a plus, and I'd like to spend most nights at home!

Has anyone got any ideas, or am I searching for a non-existent holy grail?

Thanks in advance!

muggomagic

I'm sure there are jobs out there, but (I've no idea what you earn, but guessing it's above the national average) you are more than likely going to need experience or qualifications for the pay to be similar to what you're on now.
    What about looking for work with a different employer?

Keep looking at all the job sites on the net, you might find the new career you are after.

tails
    Free Member

What about looking for work with a different employer?

+1, bet it's thin on the ground though. Can you not express your concerns to your boss.

EvoKnievel
    Free Member

Can you not express your concerns to your boss

I'd love to. Unfortunately he's been promoted recently and seems to be getting sucked into the political mess. He's overloaded himself and doesn't really know whether he's coming or going.

I think we're beyond that anyway – time to make a change I think. I just need to have an idea what to do – hence the original post!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Help – New Job Needed!’ is closed to new replies.