Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help needed XT shifters cable change.
  • dylanoleon
    Free Member

Due to all my LBS being fully booked, I’m attempting a lot of my own servicing and repair jobs. This was my first mistake!
    Iv managed to push the new cable too far into the xt shifter housing and now cant retrieve it.
    Is it a case of taking the whole thing apart???
    Thanks.

scaredypants

push it from the other end ?

pinch-nose pliers to pull it out ?

or do you mean the “lump” has passed over whatever’s supposed to stop it ?

Liftman

Take the little plastic screw out which gives access to the cable end

andyl
    Free Member

not sure how you have pushed it too far. Got a picture of what you have done?

scaredypants
    oldfart

try pushing cable back out while operating the shifters , at some point you should see the nipple comeinto view .when it lines up push it back out .though if youv’e pushed the nipple beyond it’s slot that could be a bit awkward .

Hello

I’m sorry but I don’t understand? the little plastic nubbin you remove to feed a new cable in yes? Then I can’t understand how any problems can occur. Not trying to be divisive, I’m definitely no expert, I just don’t understand

Yours, Confucius

andyl
    Free Member

hang on, are you the headset guy? I just remembered a friend of mine does mobile bike mechanics if you are have a few things you need doing.

dylanoleon
    Free Member

Andy I am headset guy! Tried/trying to instal xt shifters and xt brakes for my old lx combo’s, which I will be selling at some point. Oldfart has it right. The nipple end has gone too far into the housing! It’s supposed to stop at first resistance so when the trigger is pressed tension is caused. I must have hit one of the triggers when pulling it through. Andy please give me your mates number or email, And someone else please post a story of bike DIY gone wrong, cos I’m having the weekend from hell, and need to feel better. Can’t see me riding on Monday as planned. Now I know why you pay so much for a service!!!!

andyl
    Free Member

This is his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AA-Cycle-Maintenance/225462337535006

For the sifters you need to have them at the first position before you put the cables in. If you don’t they go in at the wrong bit and can jam. Just try shifting one way up or down and try and wiggle the cable back out.

I’d offer to take a look for you but am the other side of Bristol down by the Mendips.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help needed XT shifters cable change.’ is closed to new replies.