Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Help needed with early Santa cruz bullit
  • Lummox

Hi there

Moment of carelessness has led to me beginning the new owner of a bullit of gen 1 age ( seller states he thinks it’s 2004, however I believe it may be older)

Struggling to find info online so resorting to stw hive mind. Looking for answers to the following.

What is the biggest shock that can be fitted without mods, and what travel will this give?

What is the biggest travel fork that can be fitted?

Thanks Al

P.s any build pics of older gen bullits appreciated

What is the seat post size?

Frame is on it’s way to me via parcel farce so can’t check anything physically at the mo.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Have a look here – http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=33 – and older geometry info here – http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=311277 (you may need to log in).

I’d love an old Bullit frame for a resto project (missed a small on ebay recently). Had one of the newest ones – heavy as . . . but how much fun 😛 . Make sure you post pics.

Lummox

thanks for the link

getting excited as to potential builds

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kaesae
    Free Member

Hey, from 03 onwards the bullit had a gusset connecting the top tube to the down tube. All the santa cruz frames had it from 03 onwards as well.

If the frame doesn’t have a gusset then it an 02 or older 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

If your bullit is an 02 or older it will have a 200mm shock I2I and 6″ of travel. If it’s a newer bullit it will have a 215mm I2I and 7″ travel.

If you want to know about running different shocks call santa cruz or TF tuned, any similar company, there’s a good chance they will have some knowledge.

scaredypants

kaesae speaks the truth (I think) – also got a redesigned swingarm and longer travel (so quite possibly a different shock length)

If it’s a 2003+, seatpost is 28.6 (yeh 28.6 not 26.8)

kaesae
    Free Member

Lummox, fire up a pick and I’ll tell you what I think?

Lummox

will do, as soon as it arrives, can link to ebay sale in the meantime

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250776443095&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_615wt_1139

from what i’ve seen so far it is pre 2002 which is not what i thought i was buying, however not writing it off.

steveh

I’d say it’s mark 1b with the revised swing arm that changed it from the original one. I got mine in 2000 after a previous bike was stolen. Definitely not a 2004.

scaredypants

I R no expert…

Swingarm looks like the changed 7 inch travel one (from 2002/3 or later ?) but my 2003 front end has a small plate gusset at the headtube (mine’s a large though, maybe smaller ones didn’t get one?) – or maybe mine was a 2004 that I bought in late 2003

ken_shields
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of my old one. If it looks like this it’s a 2002

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Kaesae – these changes were made in 2002 not 2003.

The bike in the pic is definitely 2001 (or earlier.) Y2002> had the aforementioned gussets on the front triangle, 5th Element shock, 7″ travel, mods to swingarm to take 8″ disc rotors and the rear derailleur routing changed from top tube / seat stay to down tube / chainstay. They also added small gussetts to the chainstays where they tie into the cnc sections and the bridging extrusion which connects the two cnc sections together was als beefed up.

SC make running changes throughout the life cycle of their products – many of the minor tweaks aren’t publicised in any way. ( swingarm gussets being a case in point as they were failing there)Mail SC the frame number when you get the bike and they can confirm for sure exactly what you have.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

They also got rid of that curve in the seat tube so you could get the seatpost right down

Lummox

Clear as mud then! 🙂

Guess it’s a waiting game

Come on parcel farce!

vinnyeh

When did they get shot of v brake mounts? Mine (2000 or 2001) had them- and so does the op’s apparently.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

V brake mounts were definitely out by 2002. Not sure if they were ditched with all the other swingarm changes or if they been phased out before then.

Doesn’t really matter whether changes were made 02 or 03 as the OP frame predates the major changes and the move to 7″ travel. If the swingarm doesnt have the chainstay gussets – check that area carefully for potential fractures.

Great bikes btw 😉

cookies

Great bike – mine has lived a hard life from doing the Mega Avalanche to pulling kiddie trailers… 5th element shock works well, tf tuned did mine.

STATO
    Free Member

I had a 2001 for quite a while, great bike. You can fit 6″ forks but dont expect it to ride well uphill. Standard they used a 8.25*2.25 shock ~6″ travel. Later 2002+ ran a 8.5*2.5 shock to get ~7″ travel, you can actually fit this to the 2001 with the shock shuttle slid forward. However… I got rid of the shock shuttle and fitted a 8.75*2.75 shock to give ~8″ travel! It was a hoot!

kaesae
    Free Member

I thought the changes happend in 2003, maybe late 2002. The frame in the ebay listing looks like a 2001, it’s definately one of the older models.

Those are still good frames, I would check the shock once it arrives to make sure it works and the bearings as well.

There are a lot of photo’s on the net for 2002 frames that have no gusset and there are photo’s for 2002/03 frames with the gusset.

I will always think of them as 2003 frames, until I see something conclusive.

Good luck with the build.

robidoo
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread hijack.

A long shot but does anyone have a bullit rear triangle lying around that they could sell.
    I have had a front end in my shed for years.can’t bring myself to throw it out.

Great bikes too.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

As I say it doesn’t reallly matter anyway as the frame in question is 2001 or earlier but I guess I should know what I’m talking about seeing as I bought and owned one for 8 years 😉

Still got the receipt right here dated 28th May 2002, 2002 SC Bullit frame No KUB25009. If it’s a UK supplied frame Dickon @ Jungle is usually very helpful.

I replaced mine with a Cube Fritzz but wish I hadn’t sold it now. Very low maintenance too…

kaesae
    Free Member

I’ll speak to Dickon lateron and see what he says, to be honest I pester all the different companies a lot. When ever someone asks me a question, I tend to ask the experts.

Any chance of a look at the receipt?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Interesting stuff. Sooooo, what about this one then? Early 2Ks also?

jhw
    Free Member

I would place that as at least a 2003 and probably a 2004. Not a 2002, as I had one, and that ain’t it. He could’ve upgraded the shock I suppose.

I recall the travel on my 2002 was in fact 5.5″, not 6″, and definitely felt less plush than 6″ bikes of the time. The brake jack was the main thing though. Not good. Still a fun bike to ride but hopelessly outdated today.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

That bike’s also a 2001 or earlier. Kink in the seatube, lack of Gusset / plate at the headtube and cable routing on swingarm all dead giveaways.

It may have the 5th E shock on it because they were testing these January 2002 (on 2001 frames) So, it’s quite possible they shipped and sold many of these. I ordered my 2002 frame with all the changes I outlined above in early Feb 02 and it was received in the UK end of May so I was one of the first to get one. SC was a more exclusive club in these days so its more than possible dealers were still selling 2001 frames with Fox shocks on them throughout 2002.

Not sure what you are on about there jhw – if you had a 02 with a Fifth you should have been getting 7″ no problems. Agree on the brake jack but you learned to adapt to that quickly enough. It’s only outdated in the sense that circa 35lbs is considered very heavy now for bikes of that genre. Still a weapon in my view…

Kaesae – I’m not posting up my bloody receipt – you call Dickon then post back up confirming I’m right 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ha ha, all my bikes are circa 35lbs – it’s my benchmark weight 😆 . Sadly that little Bullit sold though 🙁

kaesae
    Free Member

I always like to confirm things and I cant see any reason not to show the receipt ❓

@ mamadirt that’s one of the mark 1’s 98/99 to about 2001/02, I don’t think the shock is original, what’s the I2I on the shock? it’s also a size small.

I had the exact same frame it was my 3rd or 4th full sus in red, loved that bike 😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

No idea on the i to i kaesae. It was on ebay a little while ago and I didn’t think it sold, but just got in touch with the seller with an offer and it’s gone . . . prob for the best though, eh?

Lummox

Still watching with interest longingly looking out the window waiting for the postie

kaesae
    Free Member

They come along all the time, I could probably source you a frame, I ebay traded in used parts for 5 years. I have a lot of excperience 😀

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I cant see any reason not to show the receipt<

Receipt only proves I purchased a 2002 Bullit.

As stated it really doesnt matter as the OP most definitely does not have a 2004 frame. Whatever he has (and I’m confident its 2001 or earlier)it pre-dates all the MAJOR changes brought in early 2002.

Google ‘Santa Cruz Bullit 2002 5th Element review’ and have a look at the results.

Lummox – I personally wouldnt look to try upping the rear travel to 7″ and or fitting Boxers et al. At that time folk were mostly running Junior T’s or Z1’s on these frames. Good luck with it I’m sure it will be a sweet ride.

Lummox

Thanks all, still waiting on delivery, have a set of super t’s waiting, should work great as to my limited understanding theyre an amalgamation of jnr t’s and drop offs.

Will give frame a good look over as this mis description now gives me the caveat to return the frame if I’m not happy.

kaesae
    Free Member

You should look for tyre rub and cracks in the head tube, I would also check the shocks function.

Better to go over the whole frame and check for cracks and any other damage, check the bearings as well.

Lummox

well frames arrived and not quite as described, so long and short is i’ve asked for a full refund.

Highlights include, gouged and damaged driveside BB shell on the face, dent on top tube about 2″ from headtube, seatstay has gouge and dent, general ‘rawing’ is extremely poor – still very visible sandpaper marks and i believe it was black originally as some of the tricky bits haven’t been fully stripped of paint. All that combined with not being what i thought i originally was buying is why i want my pennies back.

Arse!

Thankyou to the STW massive for your help in identifying and dating the frame.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Hard lines.

You’ll have noticed the tubing’s pretty damn beefy so dents and dings need to be quite severe to threaten the structural integrity of the frame. Still, if it’s not as described and as he’s technically 3 years out on the year of manufacture I’d be lobbing it back too.

As Kaesae says – they do come up. Just keep looking.

Little more below on the dates. I reckon quite a few 2001 frames would have been coming through first quarter 2002 mostly with Fox but possibly / latterly with the 5th E. There will also be 2001’s kicking around with 5th E retrofitted. I found the shock very reliable and Tim Flookes knows what he’s doing with them.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?14977-santa-cruz-bullit

kaesae
    Free Member

The 5th element with the platform dampening was a bit unreliable, the shim stacked version from TF or Stendec was a great shock. 5th element licensed the pattent to manitou as far as I know and the materials used in the construction of the shock improved in the manitou version.

As for the frame being not as described, most used frames are shit, I spent 5 years buying checking and servicing frames and made very little money doing it. Sellers will tell you what ever they think you want to hear and most simply don’t know anything about bikes?

That said I learnt a lot and I love working on bikes, also I helped out a lot of bikers and kept frames that would have been destroyed in circulation.

Lummox, if you want I will help you find a frame and check it out, my emails in my profile. You can get a good frame cheaply but more likely than not you will need to service it.

kaesae
    Free Member

As for the dents on the top tube, normally caused by fork top crowns, rockshox boxxers being a likely candidate, lots of frame have them.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Help needed with early Santa cruz bullit’ is closed to new replies.