• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ski.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help needed to locate slow punctures
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have 5 inner tubes here of various vintages and patchedness. All have slow punctures that I cannot locate.

Got any tips?

bassspine
    Free Member

when out riding always carry a bucket with at least 1.5 gallons of water in it in case of punctures 🙂

romster
    Free Member

bin the lot and buy some new tubes …..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RealMan
    Free Member

Blow them up, put them in water. Look for the bubbles. Squeezing helps too.

peachos
    Free Member

pump them up until they explode. the hole should be easy to identify then.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

lol

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pump them up until they are twice the size – the holes will be easy to find then

flow
    Free Member

Stretch and spit

wwaswas

easiest way is a bathfull of water as you cna put the whole tube in at once. As above – get them about twice normal size and they're easier to spot.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

trying to keep a whole tube under water when it's inflated to twice it's normal size is like trying to wrestle a whole troupe of oiled russian contortionists.

only a lot less fun.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bucket of water / water butt etc, inflate tube and immerse in said water container, rotate tube around until you find bubbles escaping from the hole. Mark hole with the yellow crayon thing you get in puncture repair kits.

I'm shocked you had to ask 😯

Edit:

Ah!

😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

use nitrogen to fill your tyres, it's bigger molecules may be too fat too escape

meehaja
    Free Member

buy new tubes. line tyres with old tubes (with valves cut off) increases weight, but also increases puncture resistance (at least it used to when I BMX'd)

ski
    Free Member

I have a slow in my front for the last 2 months, keep pumping it before every ride, as its such a slow one, cannot be bothered to fix it, how sad is that!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to locate slow punctures’ is closed to new replies.