Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help needed. STW member near Monmouth
  • HughStew

As per title, if you have some 26″ wheels with shallow rims.
    While I don’t ride any more due to mobility issues, I have just got some 26″ wheels for by wheelchair, on the basis that I can get a wider range of tyres. The aramid bead tyres have arrived but they are not very round and the wheels are Spinergy so have very deep rims so I can’t get them on the rims.
    I can make the tyres round by fitting them to a normal 26″ wheel and pumping them up.
    If you fit the above criteria could you PM me and we can arrange for you to come to my house and give me a hand.
    Thanks

mboy
    Free Member

Give the guys here a shout…

The Griffin

Very helpful, sure they will be able to accommodate one way or another…

HughStew

Thanks, I called them and am going to see then this evening.

mboy
    Free Member

Excellent 👍🏻

5lab

there are a few techniques for getting tight tyre-rim combos to work. assuming you can get all-but-the-last-25% on

1. check the tyre at the opposite end is squished into the middle of the rim
    2. pull the tyre up from the opposite tyre round to the end you cant get on (inch by inch)
    3. put washing up liquid on the rim where its stuck
    4. edge the tyre on mm by mm, don’t try to lever a large amount on.

csb

We’ve all been there, some combos can be a nightmare of snapped tyre levers and swearing. No 1 above is the key I find. Glad you are sorted.

jameso

1. check the tyre at the opposite end is squished into the middle of the rim
    2. pull the tyre up from the opposite tyre round to the end you cant get on (inch by inch)
    3. put washing up liquid on the rim where its stuck
    4. edge the tyre on mm by mm, don’t try to lever a large amount on.

FWIW, for 1. be sure to start opposite the valve and aim to have the last tight bit lined up with the valve. That’s the important bit. Then work round both sides equally one hand per side, pushing the tyre into the rim and edging the bead over. The last bit should go on easily then.

theotherjonv

^ this, some people are taught to start at the valve but then you don’t get the benefit of getting the bead down into the well.

Also for seating, a tool like this helps

Original Tyre Seating Tool

Marko

If you have no luck, message me. I’ve a collection of 26″ wheels here with all sorts of rims. I’m near Catbrook BTW.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Might not be possible for op depending on his mobility issues but using your heal stepped on the tyre and the wheel as a lever you can pull on a tight tyre. Works best with solid shoes not trainers.

poolman
    Free Member

Washing up liquid and old tea towel for grip, I got a puncture on Brompton last week. Absolute nightmare in warm garage reseating tyre, it just wouldn’t go on. Then remembered tips, no way I could have done it roadside with cold hands.

Hope it works out

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.