Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Help needed – Shimano hub strip & rebuild
  • lostintransmission
    Free Member

Decided to attempt a strip down of my Shimano Deore rear hub, re-grease and rebuild for the first time. Maybe replace the freehub body aswell.

Is this difficult? I have replaced my cassette previously with no probs. Have all the necessary tools and I’m a fairly practical person, definately not a novice when it comes to DIY mechanics.

Any advice, do’s & don’ts anyone?

Finally, what size cone spanners? 16/17?

Thanks

julianwilson
    Free Member

15 and 17mm cone spanners. 10mm allen key to get the freehub off when you’ve taken everything else out.

The Park tools online guide is way better than I could explain it: they also show a nice trick for getting the bearing ‘tightness’ just right under the quick release (initially I was suprised, but it tightens up the cones ever so slightly by the minute bit of compression it exerts on the axle and cones when done up) by putting the wheel on the outside of the frame. If our dropouts don’t fit this, you can use a ring spanner as the ‘dropout’ instead, but try and hold it between your knees or balance the whole thing in a vice to hold the axle from rotating as you do the locknut up tight. Nowadays I don’t always bother with that bit as I have a ‘feel’ for how loose the axle should feel without the qr done up.

[edit] Here it is.

And here’s that thing with the wheel outside the frame:

takisawa2

As that man ^ there said. Mount outside the dropout, makes micro adjustment a bit easier as the axle-cone assy is pre-compressed. And dont use a silly amount of grease.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lostintransmission
    Free Member

Great link, thanks very much! First time is bound to take a bit of time but I’m confident enough to tackle it for sure.

Thanks for the help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Help needed – Shimano hub strip & rebuild’ is closed to new replies.