Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help needed for Q/R and hub problem!
  • FOG

Riding tomorrow so checking bike over and found a broken spoke. No problem I have got a spare wheel from an old bike with the same hub- XT756. However when I changed wheels the axle won’t turn when the qr is nipped up. I took the brake and cassette off and changed the qr but it made no difference. The axle was turning fine in the bike it came from but refuses to do so in a different frame even though the previous hub was identical. Am now very frustrated, bright ideas please.

FOG

A bump because I still can’t sort this out. In fact I have replaced the spoke in the old wheel which took less time than trying to make the new wheel fit in the dropout. Have tried fiddling with cup and cones, tried multiple qrs,brakes on- brakes off ,no difference. The wheel turns fine in the dropouts but as soon as you tighten th qr it will barely move. Help!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Broken axle?

FOG

Don’t think so. I haven’t taken it out but you can turn the axle from either side and see it move on the opposite side.
    And it was working ok in the bike it came from.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Is there something binding against the cassette lock nut? Mud guard/pannier rack bolt?

FOG

I don’t think so. There are no bolts in that area and I even tried after removing the cassette and lock ring without effecr. It is a Soul with cowled dropouts but the old, identical hub worked fine.

wwaswas

sounds to me like the act of clamping the QR is pinching the cups against the bearings.

so as above, either a broken axle or the cups and cones aren’t adjusted right/tightened properly.

edit – you’re sure the disk isn’t binding in the caliper?

FOG

Actually took the calliper off to check if it was binding – no difference. I have readjusted the cup an cones several times with no result so I think the next step must be to strip hub completely to check axle and state of bearings etc. I did do this about 3-4 months ago when I put a new freewheel in but obviously it could have been damaged since then.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not a missing spacer on the axle meaning the frame is bottoming out on the hub shell when the qr is done up?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help needed for Q/R and hub problem!’ is closed to new replies.