Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Help needed: To Bottlerocket or not?????
  • ash.addy
    Free Member

Ever since starting back riding I’ve been more than happy with my upgraded Spicy, but I’ve always yearned for a transition bottlerocket don’t know why it’s just got that charm about it. Could someone talk sense to me and talk me out of another build. I’ve already got the Spicy a single speed Summer Season (which I could use for donor parts). Can someone who has one talk some sense to me please….or I can see my wife getting Pi…. off at me again with another bike in the garage.

Mugboo

Sell the wife and buy the BR?

jedi

i personally like the look of the orange blood! and yes i have a bottlerocket

ash.addy
    Free Member

The grass is always greener aye.

jedi

no, the orange has a 150 back end. same otherwise but the bottle is flexy at the back end so reckon the orange would be better

ahwiles
    Free Member

Ash, what’s the Bottlerocket for?

do you want it because you feel that the spicy isn’t quite right, or do you want it because you like it.

is it a replacement for the spicy, or are you starting a collection?

if you’ve got the space, and the money, i say get as many bikes as you want – even if there is a little overlap.

goog
    Free Member

jedi – Membeer
    the bottle is flexy at the back end

mmmm interesting. I’m prolly getting a BR in the new year and I’ve only read good reports about them. Are you sure that it wasn’t the wheel flexing or the tyre getting squirmy ? have you checked all the bearings n stuff too ?

jedi

im sure goog. my mate has one and says the same. it dont bother me if you know what i mean but the blood looks the same as a br but with a 150 back end 🙂

goog
    Free Member

cheers 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Orange Blood is only 125mm travel back end Jedi, 15mm shorter than the Bottlerocket…

Personally ash.addy I don’t see why you’d want to replace the Spicy with a Bottlerocket. The Bottlerocket is nice, but you’ve already got the Spicy which is probably the more up to date design and if anything, the more capable of the two…

thv3
    Free Member

Also interested a BR/Blood or the Nukeproof Mega.

Currently leaning towards the mega, £899 with shock seems a bargain.

mildred

I’ve got a Blood on demo at the minute, and it definitely does not have a 150 back end, its 135x12mm maxle.

Having said that, its as stiff, possibly even stiffer than my 2006 224, which is a 150mm back end.

The dropouts are very beefy indeed, but in its current build weighs less than my 5.

This is a 17″ by the way.

jedi

oh i read somewhere 150 back end………….oh well back to the drawning board

Northwind

Could be wrong here but I think Orange have gone to 135mm for the 224 as well, apparently they don’t think it brings any benefits.

mildred

Yes that’s right they’ve gone to 135.

princessalbert
    Free Member

i used to have a bottlerocket. the backend isn’t flexy, unless you compare it to something tank like… a demo 9 perhaps.

hora
    Free Member

9lb for its travel and capability?

In days of old DH frames were THAT Heavy. Its not a DH frame. Shouldn’t it be a throwback to the past? Why couldn’t they have made it lighter? How much does comparable Spesh etc weigh?

Sorry, why lug that much weight around for its (limited) ability to an owner?!

ahwiles
    Free Member

is that 9lbs with/without shock?

my hemlock frame weighs a shade over 7lbs-with-shock, and i consider that too light*.

9lbs (with shock) would be fine, especially for a frame built as strong as a bottlerocket…

(*what’s the point of a frame that will take lyrics, but isn’t strong enough to take Dh racing?)

(yes, i know lyrics aren’t specific Dh forks, but they’re up to it)

Northwind

ahwiles – Member

(*what’s the point of a frame that will take lyrics, but isn’t strong enough to take Dh racing?)

Um, it makes it perfect for folks like me who want a decent big hitter at a sensible pedallable weight but couldn’t give a rat’s ass about downhill racing.

GW
    Free Member

Um, it makes it perfect for folks like me who want a decent big hitter at a sensible pedallable weight but couldn’t give a rat’s ass about downhill racing.

all that typing when one word would have sufficed? 🙄

😉

GW
    Free Member

do you reckon you’ll break the spicy with what riding you do?

Coz I think I’d be faster downhill on a Spicy than a Bottlerocket.<EDIT – built with the same shock/parts>
    I’m no hucker tho..

Northwind

Was it a word I’d like GW ❓ I’m taking the thing to fort william for the endurance dh next year but I don’t think that counts as dh racing.

GW
    Free Member

yeah, you’d like it! 8)
    of course it counts, you’re paying for the privelege of being timed down a taped DH track. What did you think you signed up for?
    oh.. and what “thing”? not your hemlock? please?

but then I still think – “what’s the point of a frame that will take lyrics Pikes, but isn’t strong enough to take Dh racing?” 😉

monkeyninja
    Free Member

the bottlerocket is due a facelift in the spring so it may shed a few lbs. i’m holding out to see what the new mega and the updated bottlerocket have to offer

Northwind

GW – Member

“oh.. and what “thing”? not your hemlock? please?”

Yep. I guess what I meant was, I wouldn’t go and do an SDA or whatever, I don’t have the chops, but I’m pretty sure I won’t embarass myself at the endurance race since total pace isn’t such a big deal. I can ride it but it takes a while :mrgreen:

I could take my rigid carrera instead, I’m reasonably sure I could get it to the bottom but I wouldn’t say I was downhill racing :mrgreen:

GW
    Free Member

good luck 8)

Northwind

Think I might need it :mrgreen: I’ve set myself a target, to beat my personal best number of runs down the wc route in a day. Which is one. It’s good to have a goal 8)

ahwiles
    Free Member

good luck!

i do like my hemlock, i’m just not convinced by lots of travel. i’m only slow so i don’t hit anything hard enough to use it all.

yes, i can change spring rates so i do use the travel, but that makes it soft and wobbly when i’m just mincing along, which is most of the time…

ash.addy
    Free Member

I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a S/H Bottlerocket it’s 2009 and was quite a good deal. I did nearly buy a new 2010 frame but sense prevailed, it was a good price though med for £900. So can’t wait to let rip on my new purchase. Thanks for all the advice but in the end sense went out the window and the heart won.

Cheers all

Ash

jedi

2nd had for 900??? frame only??

simonbowns
    Free Member
    ash.addy
    Free Member

Sorry for any confusion I bought the bike for 1200 – The new frame i nearly bought was 900

http://www.evocycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s353p1458

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Help needed: To Bottlerocket or not?????’ is closed to new replies.