Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Help! Need some 'smart' clothes for a wedding! Haven't a clue!
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Go buy a cheap but smart looking suit e.g. Dark navy but not black.

White shirt and a nice tie, socks and shoes.

Then get yourself in shape for future events.

Always have a suit in the wardrobe at the ready.

Wear a suit to work saves all this hassle depending in their job.

chvck
    Free Member

A, not too expensive, suit. You can get something wearable for £200 from Debenhams.

Those 2 sentences do not belong together in my mind! £200 not too expensive 😯

kayak23

‘Smart’ clothes you say?

stoffel
    Free Member

Ooh, it’s got an optical sensor and a data bus! 😮

I think I will actually trawl some charity shops,as there are some very affluent people round here, and the shops are full of good stuff. Tried Austin Reed, but two oldfogies looked at melike I was dirt, and made a point of not coming to see if I needed anything, so sod em. Got another week and a bit so no big drama. I’ll find something. Back up option is a v-neck sweater for if it’s a bit chilly.

Wear a suit to work saves all this hassle depending in their job.

Fortunately I’ve never had to wear a suit to work. Andmy last interview, Iwas wearing a scruffy t-shirt with shorts and sandals,and drinking a beer. 😆 The job was in the bag. 8)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Here. Good quality suits, shirts and ties at reasonable prices.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why is this so hard?
    You have wife. Send her out. She’ll enjoy it and the virtue is you can say you hate what she buys, wear it with forced humour and never wear it again.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Reiss

traildog
    Free Member

I would probably go to Reiss as well. Or maybe Ted Baker or John Lewis.

Depends on your build really, as M&S and Next just don’t fit a skinny person IME. Also depends what your local town has.

But I would get the sales assistant to help out and not have to use my brain too much. Try a few things on and hang over large amount of money is enough of a shock without having to think about it.

Get a suit, you say you’ll never use it but there will be almost certainly other occasions in the future when will need to dress smart and it’s always there. Trying to be clever with “smart casual” is a fashion mind field which you are likely to fail at and will date quickly.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Definitely over thinking this. A smart pair of trousers and a fitted, double cuff shirt (go simple – white/blue/pink) with cufflinks, nice belt and a pair of shoes, brown brogues for example will still go well with jeans after the event. Add a jacket, or don’t. It doesn’t matter.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Geordie Jeans?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX85QqzrXO0[/video]

stoffel
    Free Member

I’m really quite glad I decided to ignore this thread in the end, as in hindsight, it was very foolish to ask for sartorial advice on this particular forum. 😆

A smart pair of trousers and a fitted, double cuff shirt (go simple – white/blue/pink) with cufflinks, nice belt and a pair of shoes, brown brogues for example will still go well with jeans after the event.

😆 Worth it for the comedy value alone. I must confess that I didn’t actually expect any truly useful advice on a forum populated by mainly middle aged British men, and I’ve not been disappointed as a result. But thanks for trying anyway folks.

Oh, and I ended up looking fantastic anyway, without really trying. But hey; some of us have got it; the rest of you just want it. 8)

jamj1974

Ok, there was some crap advice on this thread – but also some good advice too. Whilst I’m sure you looked great there were other options presented that would also have looked good. Personally I don’t think you can go far wrong at a contemporary wedding with lounge suit, blue/lilac shirt and matching tie. Doesn’t look like you’ve tried too hard or that you’ve conversely not taken the wedding seriously.

But then what do I know about formal occasions – I thought that someone turning up at a fairly traditional elderly mans funeral in 3/4 length combats and a band t-shirt was out of order the other week… Many people may have thought it was fine.

jamj1974

samuri – Member
    That’s right. Gold shoes.
    Not everyone can carry them off.

When you find that person – let us all know 😉

stoffel
    Free Member

Personally I don’t think you can go far wrong at a contemporary wedding with lounge suit, blue/lilac shirt and matching tie.

Everyone with no sense of style or imagination will go for such a ‘look’. There were a few at this wedding like that. It’s really boring, which I was hoping to avoid. But then, the whoe shirt/trousers/jacket thig is bloody boring anyway, no matter what ‘daring’ colours oyu use. Convention leads to staid conservatism.

robowns
    Free Member

This thread is a bit tragic, I don’t really see how you can be entitled to an opinion on what looks good when all you wear are shorts and sandals – I assume with white socks?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Reiss.
    Reiss.
    Reiss.
    Reiss.
    Reiss.
    Reiss.
    Reiss.
    Reiss.

(Can’t think why this shop name is stuck in my brain.)

stoffel
    Free Member

I don’t ever wear socks with sandals. Surprised that you’d assume that; is that what you’d do?

I don’t really see how you can be entitled to an opinion on what looks good when all you wear are shorts and sandals

I don’t really think you can be entitled to an opinion on my sartorial skills, when all you think I wear are shorts and sandals.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Pillock. 😉

stoffel
    Free Member

You say tht, but then oyure the one who thinks “brown brogues for example will still go well with jeans after the event”

😆

bearnecessities

Worth it for the comedy value alone. I must confess that I didn’t actually expect any truly useful advice on a forum populated by mainly middle aged British men, and I’ve not been disappointed as a result. But thanks for trying anyway folks.

Oh, and I ended up looking fantastic anyway, without really trying. But hey; some of us have got it; the rest of you just want it

Blimey. Are you sure you’re old enough to have a wife? 😉

Northwind

Whenever I have to buy smart clothes, I go around smart clothes shops til I find a camp man, and get him to tell me what to buy. All the better if he’s foreign. You’ll never go far wrong with this approach

bearnecessities

Northwind, you cruel beast. *flaps cravat, mops British brow & flounces out in a pair of ill-fitting chinos*

MrSmith
    Free Member

So my wife has told me I will need ‘somthing smart’ for a wedding on the 26th. The last time I worse anything vaguely ‘smart’ was about 7-8 years ago, and none of it fits me anymore/has been thrown out. I don’t do ‘smart’, as I fortunately don’t need to in worketc. But apparently, shorts and sandals won’t cut it, so I’ve been ordered to go shopping. Trouble is, I haven’t a clue where to start! I won’t be required to wear a morning suit or look like a penguin, and as we’re travelling, a ful on suit, shirt tie etc won’t be expected of me, plus I’m doing some photos so can get away with being a bit more comfortable. But I do need to look presentable, so need to work out what to get and where to get it. London based so good for shops. I’m thinking grey trousers with a bright coloued shirt, more ‘causual’ jacket (stuff that might get worn again not put in the wardrobe for another 8 years). Simple but useable black shoes.

So, any ideas? Budget is ‘modest’, before you start telling me to go to Savill Row etc!

Followed by this:

I’m really quite glad I decided to ignore this thread in the end, as in hindsight, it was very foolish to ask for sartorial advice on this particular forum.

A smart pair of trousers and a fitted, double cuff shirt (go simple – white/blue/pink) with cufflinks, nice belt and a pair of shoes, brown brogues for example will still go well with jeans after the event.
    Worth it for the comedy value alone. I must confess that I didn’t actually expect any truly useful advice on a forum populated by mainly middle aged British men, and I’ve not been disappointed as a result. But thanks for trying anyway folks.

Oh, and I ended up looking fantastic anyway, without really trying. But hey; some of us have got it; the rest of you just want it.

Followed by this:

Personally I don’t think you can go far wrong at a contemporary wedding with lounge suit, blue/lilac shirt and matching tie.
    Everyone with no sense of style or imagination will go for such a ‘look’. There were a few at this wedding like that. It’s really boring, which I was hoping to avoid. But then, the whoe shirt/trousers/jacket thig is bloody boring anyway, no matter what ‘daring’ colours oyu use. Convention leads to staid conservatism.

So which is it? A typical Brit male who dresses like a sack of shi*e through boredom, indifference or a lack of social occasion to warrant smartening up or a sartorial style guru with the knack of getting it right, making it look effortless and not trying to hard?

stoffel
    Free Member

No; someone who was bored and felt like having a laugh. Thnks for helping facilitate such an outcome. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh, and I ended up looking fantastic anyway, without really trying. But hey; some of us have got it; the rest of you just want it.

Oh, and pics or it didn’t happen.

My money’s on “it didn’t happen”.

EDIT: crossed posts. So there was no wedding? You really didn’t need advice or suggestions for an outfit?

stoffel
    Free Member

There was a wedding. i know how todress myself. I was bored, and thought it would be a giggle to ask for ‘fashion advice’ on here. I wasn’t disapointed.

You really didn’t need advice or suggestions for an outfit?

What, on here? You really need to ask that? 😆

bearnecessities

DD, what are you saying?

Are you suggesting a man that clearly oozes sex appeal, may actually be someone that has got a bit porky in recent years, needs his wife to tell him a wedding is a smart occasion and then turns to a forum he’s been a member of for a couple of months, for advice on how to dress himself?

What illogical nonsense!

EDIT: He’s back….and it appears it was all a joke. The smooth bastard. I’ve already knackered my gusset.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You really need to ask that?

Oh, I had assumed you were the kind of guy who’d have to ask and that’s why you did. My apologies. It’s just a “take things at face value” habit that I have. 😐

So, what did you wear?

MrSmith
    Free Member

You are Nick Wooster and I claim my £5

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*googles Nick Wooster*

😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

Not going to Pitti this year then DD?

Oh I see, sticking to flicking through the next catalogue. 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Next?? Bit stylish innit?

George at Asda all the way for me. Got me a nice pair of pointy brown shoes to wear with my new boot cut jeans this weekend. I’m going to look better than the OP.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’ll look out for you here on this style blog: http://jeansandsheux.tumblr.com
    😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was only telling somebody about that blog during the week. Some fabulous combos in there. 🙂

jamj1974

I would look out for you too – but I am now feeling too self-conscious to leave the house…

jamj1974

Everyone with no sense of style or imagination will go for such a ‘look’. There were a few at this wedding like that. It’s really boring, which I was hoping to avoid.

Depends on how you wear it dahllling…

bearnecessities

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Help! Need some 'smart' clothes for a wedding! Haven't a clue!’ is closed to new replies.