Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • HELP! My Garmin is sending messages to work Slack channels!
  • john_l
    Free Member

This is super weird (and causing much hilarity for my colleagues). I just plugged my Garmin Edge into the wall to charge, obviously it switched on and all of sudden “Be home soon – sent from my Garmin device” messages started appearing in various work Slack channels!

I have not idea how this happened or how to stop it, other than switching the Garmin off. I’m terrified of turning it on again.

I believe that there is some kind of open API available between Slack and Garmin that lets you do that selectively, but surely it shouldn’t suddenly start doing it?!

ta11pau1

Do you get slack notifications on your phone?

I’m betting it’ll be connected to your phone and there’ll be an auto reply set on the device, which is replying when the Garmin gets the notification.

john_l
    Free Member

I do yeah. Any ideas how to stop that happening?

Is it just a case of unchecking the Slack app notification in the Garmin device settings?

chakaping
    Free Member

Skynet innit

This is how it starts

franksinatra

Have you had your COVID vaccine?

Coincidence?

Makes you think……

john_l
    Free Member

Well it’s provided some entertainment to the 250 or so people logged into our general channel! Good job I’m not new to the company….oh, I am!

ta11pau1

Haha…

Turn off Bluetooth on your phone to stop the Garmin getting notifications, then you should be able to turn on the Garmin and find what you’ve enabled to send auto replies.

john_l
    Free Member

Turns out it’s my Vivoactive 3, not my Explore. Just remembered that it did about 3 software updates automatically on Monday that must have triggered the responses.

Bizarre.

It’s completely shut down now. Think it’s ****ed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.