Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help my bikes always get scratched in the back of my pick-up any ideas?????
  • dalesboyz
    Free Member

i am a double cab pick-up and how ever i tie my bikes up they always get scratched i have tried all sorts so any ideas would be very help full 😕

specializedneeds

Friend has a Hilux, he uses a rack that just drops into the tray and fastens bikes by the front dropouts, takes three I think.

theflatboy
    Free Member

foam pipe lagging.

scud
    Free Member

If you can pick up a copy of Mountain Bike Action, the american mag in WH smiths or somewhere, they always have loads of ads for different racks etc that fit pick ups as so many Yanks drive them, we used to have one that used sucker pads on the rear window when we were over there.

tomhughes46

i am a double cab pick-up

Really?

I assume you put the bikes in your load bay at the back (not across your back seats like I saw someone do the other day with a huge F150).

When I chuck bikes in my car I separate them with some old carpet cut offs. Can you do this and then tie them down. Or if you only use it for bikes, make a bike rack that will hold them vertically by the front wheel? Presumably if you have are a pick up you have access to some tools/building supplies?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had an L200,

I made a wooden rack for the back of it, two bars that went across floor and strapped them down then uprights to seperate the bikes (three was most) covered the uprights in carpet, sorted.

I now have a thule towbar rack and i reckon you could buy a rack similar to that to fit in, like said above.

Northwind

The Dakine tail hatch cover means if you hang the bikes over the tail- front wheel off the back- they won't get scraped brutally against the hatch… Works well from what I've seen though we always end up with far too many bikes in the back anyway and all bouncing and scraping together.

A cheap thick blanket gives pretty good protection, my bikes spend a lot of time stacked in the back of cars and it makes a big difference.

IA

How do you pack them?

Best way IME is upside-down sideways, not long ways. Get 5 (DH) bikes and 5 people in that way. Ratchet strap it all so it won't shift.

More bungees or straps may help you?

TBH though so long as stanchions/shocks aren't getting scratched, why worry too much? It's a MTB, gets much worse when I crash/in uplift truck etc.

dalesboyz
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep do you have any pics of the wood rack ? and thanks for all the help 🙂 and i put them up side down long ways so that may be the reason

dalesboyz
    Free Member

specializedneeds thanks for the link do you have any idea where your mate got it from ?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I don't never thought of taking any pics of it,

I still kept my bikes upside down because they where more stable but used ratchet straps to strap them to the uprights and the rack to the eyelets on the bed floor.

Wood was simple 2×4, i added a couple of diaganal supports to the uprights after the first use, Carpet or foam piping will sort out the scratchin.

but was great and cost about £15 for wood and screws,

dalesboyz
    Free Member

cheers i am gonna try them sideways to see if its any better 🙂

specializedneeds

This isn't the same but close

I googled "bicylce racks for inside vans"

specializedneeds
    epicyclo

I just chuck a sheet of cardboard between each bike. Don't bother tying them down for short trips.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help my bikes always get scratched in the back of my pick-up any ideas?????’ is closed to new replies.