Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help me with an in ground wasp nest please
  • danmac
    Free Member

Should i just leave it to the pro’s or is there an easy DIY method to attacking this one? I have a raised pond down the end of the garden, old extremely heavy sleepers. My biggest concern is chemicals getting into the water and wiping out my koi and sturgeon collection. The little blighters seem to have dug and entrance just at the base of one of the ground sleepers, laid on a concrete hardcore base with rebar, im now looking at my garden imagining a mahoosive nest underground with mahoosive holes to remove it

mc
    Free Member

Is the entrance above or below the water level?
    My concern would be rain water washing any insecticide into the water.

Wasp powder after sunset, then keep away for a day or so to avoid the inevitable angry wasps, provided the powder isn’t likely to get washed into the water.

Failing that, I’d get an expert in, as they may have to use a less poisonous method.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Light up a cigar, lie down in front of the nest and blow smoke down the hole. Let us know how it pans out.

danmac
    Free Member

@mc the entrance is below the waterline. Will definately skip the cigar idea 😂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just leave it.

Wasps are good.

windyg
    Free Member

If they are just digger wasps which is likely just leave them they won’t cause any problems they just behave like bees

lesshaste

Wasp nests die off naturally in the autumn. They’ll be gone by the middle of October.
    They won’t reoccupy the nest next year. +1 to joshvegas, they eat loads of caterpillars, aphids pests etc.

andrewh
    Free Member

If they aren’t doing any harm just leave them, as above they’ll be gone naturally in a couple of months anyway

DezB
    Free Member

Isn’t the answer to block the hole with a Laura Ashley cushion?

Drac

Just leave them.

Cougar

Fill it with petrol and then throw a match at it. Be sure to video it.

tonyd

As my 12 year old self will attest, whatever you do definitely do not spray them with aerosol ant killer that is about 10 years out of date. If you do do that, once you realise the ant killer is just making them angry absolutely do not light the aerosol and attack the nest with an improvised flame thrower. This will make them very angry indeed and the aerosol will soon sputter and run out, at which point you will probably be attacked and stung, a lot.

You might also get told off by your dad for setting fire to the side of his shed.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Isn’t the answer to block the hole with a Laura Ashley cushion?

That’s for transportation.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help me with an in ground wasp nest please’ is closed to new replies.