Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help me upgrade my hardtail and avoid buying a new bike
  • calvjones
    Free Member

Hi All, Long time lurker, newbie poster here so be kind 🙂

I recently scored a 2003 Scapin steel hardtail, which I’ve built with bits and bobs I’ve had hanging around. I’m thinking of upgrading and lightening somewhat and would welcome some advice – for general XC work plus SW trail centres.

It’s currently running the following:
    – 9 sp SLX shifters, deore f & r mech
    – non-group Shimano cranks, look deore-ish
    – HS33 Magura rim stoppers (no disc mount on frame)
    – Mavic x517 rims on mid range german hubs, 1700g-ish
    – Magura Menja fork from ebay (well it will, after I tackle the service anyway:shock: )
    – very light Ritchey WCS straight bars and a weighty Race Face stem
    – Panaracer Fire Pro which I think are pretty good

I’m considering a range of things to upgrade form and function:
    – Brooks saddle will ve swapped for the Flite Ti on the commuter
    – middleburn/xt cranks
    – a magura front disc brake to keep consistent levers (but which one? and then a new wheel of course…)
    – having the frame resprayed & brazed for a disc mount

Anyone want to throw some ideas at me, they’d be gratefully received! Please keep me away from that bionicon website…

Cheers all

Cal

RealMan
    Free Member

What’s wrong with it at the moment? What do you want it to do that it doesn’t do now?

Why not just buy a new bike? Would probably be easier, as I’d recommend replacing the frame, fork, brakes, and wheels, just to start with.

Those pedals look awful, what are they? Single sided spds?

You need to sort out your lawn as well.

calvjones
    Free Member

Bored much?

curlie467
    Free Member

Your groupset is fine, i wouldnt worry about upgrading the crankset until the BB wears out.
    I run a different make front brake to the rear (deore disc front/avid arch rival v-brake rear) and the different levers you dont notice when out riding so i wouldnt worry too much about that.
    1700g isnt too bad for a wheelset to be fair but just buy a decentish disc front wheel if you want a disc brake.
    The fork will be fine once serviced.
    How much does the stem weigh? Not too much to upgrade if weight is your big worry but then you do have a steel frame!
    panaracer fire xc pros are good if that is what you have.

I wouldnt worry too much about upgrading, just get a nice disc front wheel and brake and get out riding. I ride a `96 stumpjumper with old marzocchi bombers, a disc front with v rear, knackered back wheel that needs truing every ride and it does me proud and annoys a lot of people as it cost me next to bugger all and does what a lot of other hardtails can do!

calvjones
    Free Member

Yeah I’m thinking front disc is probably the first thing.

Frame is Columbus Foca. 1700g, thin & light tubes so ace until you hit a tree trunk sideways 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help me upgrade my hardtail and avoid buying a new bike’ is closed to new replies.