Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help me STW – Commencal Ramone 24" or Charge Cooker 24"
  • nacho
    Free Member

OK so I haven’t been on here for a while but I now need advice from the STW massive! I moved to Australia two years ago so my choice of bikes is limited. I want to get my son a new bike for his birthday. It’s replacing an Islabike Benin 20. Geographical availability and costs have narrowed it down to the two models above. My boy is riding well and I think suspension might be of use for him. The Commencal has a SUNTOUR XCT 24 50mm travel fork, the Charge is rigid although I could add forks at a later date? Both bikes weigh similar and are single front chainring. What should I go for?
    Thanks all

sam2391
    Free Member

Adding forks to the Charge isn’t an option as the rigid ones aren’t suspension corrected, the geometry would be way off if you did.

Don’t have any experience of the Commencal but the Charge is a good bike but IMO bars, stem could be better quality/lighter and would swap the 7spd grip shift to a trigger shifter.

BillOddie

In true STW fashion I’ll recommend what I (well my kids) have…
    http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/kids/junior

Been pretty impressed with them to be honest.

blakec
    Free Member

Mine has a ramones frame. But the rest of the components are all custom so can only comment on the frame.

It’s light and solid, geometry is fine for when he first got it but I would say the top tube is getting a little short for him he is currently about 142cm. But he is long in body and short in legs. The frame has given me no issues.

5plusn8
    Free Member

A 10 year old who rides with us sometimes has the Mantra, it is a quite excellent little bike.
    Youngest has the riprock 20, has transformed her riding she corners like a demon now. She is also quite light and found the islabike 20 thing she had felt harsh, the fat tyres and crap fork made it much more comfy.

nacho
    Free Member

Thanks all, for the advice! I had also looked at the Saracen but with shipping it’s another 200 quid, the riprock I didn’t like the idea of those big tyres. So either the Charge or save some extra cash for the Saracen

5plusn8
    Free Member

I didn’t like the idea of those big tyres

That is an advantage for a little one, the frame itself is pretty light, so the whole ensemble isn’t bad.The grip and comfort level has gone up enormously. Has converted my kid into a faster more confident rider, and she wants to come out and ride all the time. When she is bigger and heavier then that mantra is on the list.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help me STW – Commencal Ramone 24" or Charge Cooker 24"’ is closed to new replies.