Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me spend my wages – new bike required!
  • kevin1911

For once in my life I’ve sold 2 bikes before buying a new one, so have got permission from the missus to buy a new bike. It’ll be on the CycleScheme deal, so needs to be from a UK dealer.

Looking for suggestions. The two bikes I sold were a Santa Cruz Bronson 2015 and a Cube Stereo 160 Carbon. Ideally I’m looking for something that’s a combination of them both. I mainly ride fairly run-of-the-mill trail stuff around Scotland. Got about £2-3k to spend. Had my eye on the Rocky Mountain Instinct BC edition at Pauls Cycles but they’ve sold out of my size (Medium).

What would you be buying if you were me?

K

cb

Was it CRC that had some great deals on Yeti?

ta11pau1

Give us a few more clues – 27.5 or 29er? LLS or middle of the road trail bike?

If you want a not too long, not too slack 27.5 140mm trail bike, a few places have the Cube Stereo 140 – https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/419/products/cube-stereo-140-hpc-tm-275-fs-mountain-bike-2019-greyorange.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=25430018&istCompanyId=505701c8-6037-4e2d-b475-92f8405328d3&istFeedId=a3ae2ba7-074e-49e9-a06d-6f852075e3a8&istItemId=ixlwwwwrm&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAiA8K7uBRBBEiwACOm4d0xpmW4dNHXxDBaGrMVKVdgH8D1_61MzR7cHI2GdnI-DXnOa_KehEhoCZr8QAvD_BwE

£2800 gets you gx eagle, fox 36 factory, fox dpx2 factory, newmen 1700g wheels.

honourablegeorge

Id be tempted by a Nukeproof Reactor’

tthew

If you getting it on the cycle scheme, you also have to consider one that will fit mudguards, lights and sensible tyres for the commute to work too. 😉

Has the £1k maximum limit unless your firm has a credit licence rule been relaxed now? It’s been a few years since I had the opportunity.

Kryton57

What would you be buying if you were me?

3 new bikes.

snotrag

Has the £1k maximum limit unless your firm has a credit licence rule been relaxed now? It’s been a few years since I had the opportunity.

In short, yes, any limits are down to your company policy really.

Better hope someone in Payroll or Fincance is a keen rider!

argee

Probably a YT Jeffsy or a Transition Scout, both more than capable of what you want, but not so big that they’re a bit OTT on most stuff.

benv
    Free Member

For once in my life I’ve sold 2 bikes before buying a new one, so have got permission from the missus to buy a new bike.

Worrying trend these days.

Financial and economic abuse

kevin1911

27.5″ or 29″?

I actually don’t mind, so long as it rides well!

LLS or ordinary trail bike?

I’m erring towards the LLS or at least LL. The one thing I found frustrating about the Cube Stereo I just sold is that the reach was VERY short, so I always felt too upright. I’ve seen a few stonking deals on the 2019 Cube Stereo’s, which are very tempting. Just feels like it’s not really evolved enough from what I just sold.

Has the £1k maximum limit unless your firm has a credit licence rule been relaxed now?

Yes, I’m assured that we can order any bike of any value, although I think they’re doing affordability checks so they don’t let an employee get into a deal they can’t afford

YT Jeffsy or a Transition Scout

The Jeffsy fits the bill perfectly. On problem is we’re tied to CycleScheme and YT’s are only avialble via the Green Initiative. I’ll check out the Scout though.

Worrying trend these days.

Perhaps, but to be fair, my obsession with bikes has got me into a fair bit of debt over the years, and I’m trying to be sensible (and honest with the missus).

ta11pau1

Re the Cube and it’s reach, yeah it does seem short, until you look at the Canyon Spectral which won trail bike of the year for 2018 and 2019 (mbr) and see that the reach is just 2mm shorter on the Stereo, in the M and L sizes.

It’s not short, it’s just not as long as the current 500+ reach on a L bikes.

I would want a steeper seat angle myself (along with longer reach to balance the ETT), which is why I went for a YT Jeffsy CF Pro Race 29 in XXL 😁 but then I am 6ft 3in.

ta11pau1

The new orbea occam looks very good too.

joebristol

Bird are good and I think they do cycle scheme. Maybe a 120lt – so 130mm rear / 140mm front would be a fun option (I’ve got a 145lt which is 160r/170f which I do ride for a lot of stuff but it’s a bit overkill for general trail riding). I keep looking at them and wondering whether as an all rounder it would be a better option for me than what I have.

The 120 has a nice modern reach / geometry without being overly long / slack. The 145lt /
    Am160 or AM9 are the longer / slacker options…..

I’d love the 120lt with Pike Ultimates / DT Swiss XM1501’s / super deluxe shock / sram code rsc’s / X01 11 speed drivetrain / 180mm Oneup dropper / decent raceface finishing kit / Maxxis tyres.

kevin1911

Just had a look at the Bird site. the headline prices look great but by the time I add decent brakes and wheels it’s over £4k. Oooooft!

joebristol

Hmmmn, they’re more expensive than German mail order but generally cheaper then mainstream bike shop stocked brands.

For £2.6k I had a go at a 120lt with a gx Eagle basic spec, with the following changes: Pike select RC 140mm / bigger Centerline discs / code rscs/ EX1501 wheels (would prefer xm’s but they’re currently out of stock), upgraded the shock to the rct version, fiddled with tyres. Also has a Bird 150mm dropper. Way under the £4K you mentioned. Could go up a fork to the ultimate staying under £3k – it’s upgrading the groupset that’ll bump the cost up (or going for carbon wheels)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me spend my wages – new bike required!’ is closed to new replies.