Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help me spend my money… warning, tyre content.
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’m running Rubber Queen folding 2.2 BCs front and rear, and love them.

They’re a little squirmy, but sticky as a sticky thing, and pretty fast rolling.

One is a little threadbare, so I’m looking at replacements. I’m off to the Alps soon so I’ve been thinking either…

Another 2.2 RQ, or a UST 2.2 Rq, or a 2.4 mountain king II protection.

I’m not sure on what to replace the 2.2 with, so anyone with opinions? 😉

Oh, and here’s a picture of a cake because its a what tyre thread.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

warning the alps is a big place, what do you plan to do and where?
    If it’s mostly pointing downwards then I’ve never had issues with 2.5″ minion dual ply. The HR2 and Minion2’s look good too. They look similar to the RQ.

Northwind

My bot rules dictate that I do some fanboying here…

Specialized Butcher, in the carcass of your choice. I got on OK with my Rubber Queens but these are IMO better at everything, apart from being a bit slower rolling, and about the same at rock-bouncing. Miles better at mud. Control version is tubeless ready, tough but light- feels far more solid than my old RQs did despite being lighter, I don’t really know where the weight goes on Contis tbh. SX version isn’t officially tubeless ready but goes up as if it is, slightly stickier, bit heavier, but tough as old boots- raced these at fort william, and a week of fast trailbike riding around Les Arcs. Mint.

rickon
    Free Member

I thought I was asking between three Conti tyres 😉

anyone else ridden both RQ and MKII as a rear?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought I was asking between three Conti tyres

Why limit your choice!

kimbers

On one chunky monkey

thats me helping you spend not so much money and get a better tyre!

rickon
    Free Member

Why limit your choice!

I’ve gone through most tyres…

Maxxis, I used to love, but they’re floppy and a pain to tubeless compared to others.

Schwalbe – again I used to race on RocketRons, which were my favourite tyre, but the Pacestar compound is terrible on wet rock, and they’re fragile – so pointless in Scotland – plus Stan’s don’t recommend them on their rims due to them unexpectedly detonating.

Bontrager, I’ve tried the XR4 and found it unsupple, draggy, and heavy. Although it tubelessed very very nicely indeed.

On-one…. I’ve used the Smorgasboard, which is a decent tyre but heavy and draggy. Isn’t the Chunky Monkey a bit heavy compared to similar tyres?

Conti for me ticks most boxes, the black chilli rubber is bonkers good – really sticky, soft, but seems to last forever. My concern with going for another RQ non-UST is the sidewalls destroying themselves in the Alps.

slackalice
    Free Member

Schwalbe – again I used to race on RocketRons, which were my favourite tyre, but the Pacestar compound is terrible on wet rock, and they’re fragile – so pointless in Scotland – plus Stan’s don’t recommend them on their rims due to them unexpectedly detonating.

Where do Stans say that please?

Or is that an urban myth?

chiefgrooveguru

I’m coming to the conclusion that the 2.2 UST BC Rubber Queen is an almost perfect rear tyre. I haven’t found the perfect front tyre but I suspect a Butcher Control with the RQ’s particular black chili compound would be pretty close, or a Rubber Queen with bigger side knobs. I think I’m going to order a Butcher Control anyway and see how it gets on, despite the different brands front and rear making me feel a little OCD bothered… 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maxxis, I used to love, but they’re floppy and a pain to tubeless compared to others.

Currently running Ardent EXO’s and minions all up first time tubeless

discapade
    Free Member

I’ve tried most (RQ were my faves for a long time) now running Ardents, 2.4 front and 2.2 rear…love em

huw
    Free Member

Schwalbe Nobby Nics, and Racing Ralphs, Snakeskin walls. Used them for years on Stans rims, tubeless. Not had a problem, and used them everywhere. Wales, England, Scotland, Alps, Canada. Never felt the need to change or try anything else.

white91
    Free Member

Rubber Queen 2.4?

rickon
    Free Member

SlackAlice:

Where do Stans say that please?

Or is that an urban myth?

There was a post on the Stans site a while back, but it’s been removed:

http://forums.bikemagic.com/showthread.php/106914-Schwalbe-and-Stan-s

http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx

I’ve been fine with the pre-2011s, but broken the bead on two brand new 2012 PS Nics with them blowing off the rim on some Crests.

Ardents….. hmmm…. will have to have a look, what are the walls like? pourous? floppy?

I’m leaning toward the UST RQ, as I’ve used the 2.2 RQs as my sole tyre for the last almost 12 months, and they’re been bang on – if a little squirmy when leant over hard.

2.4….. it’s a huuuuuuuge tyre, the 2.2 is a stonkingly good size tyre, and can’t really see me wanting it bigger just now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ardents….. hmmm…. will have to have a look, what are the walls like? pourous? floppy?

The EXO are good, tough and went (and lasted fine) tubeless no hassles, not much fluid came out/through them.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Mike – what are the Ardents like size wise? are they a true 2.2, voluminous? compared to a RQ 2.2?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

about 2.3/2.35″ on an XM719 and about 2.5″ on a EX721 (measured across the tread) no idea on the Conti Sizes

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend an Ardent on the front because they haven’t got proper cornering knobs that bite, they just flex. It makes a great rear tyre, though. I run one on the back quite often with a Minion on the front.

discapade
    Free Member

I think the ardents are superb mate, 2.4 exo front is nice and big, like a hans dampf, and the 2.2 is a tiny bit smaller than the RQ. They went up first time tubeless, no probs since and don’t leak at all…!

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Agree with Kimbers, highly rate the chunky monkey

Sandwich

Black Chilli Protection have the tough side-walls and are TL ready. The Mountain King 2 front Race King rear works well for me in the dry.

andyrm
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey Enduro up front, Ikon 2.2 rear. Sticky front, fast rolling rear, sensible weights and go up tubeless easily.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help me spend my money… warning, tyre content.’ is closed to new replies.