Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help me spec my timber pent workshop please
  • v8ninety

I’m looking at having a pent workshop/garage at my place. I’ve had a concrete pad laid that’s probably overspecced but I didn’t want to worry about it not being strong enough. It’s going to be approx 13 foot by 27 foot, with double door access on one of the short ends. That is where my hard specifications end. I know nothing about wooden buildings; I am aware that I need to think about roof material, insulation, thickness of beams and panels, security of doors, etc, but I don’t know what’s desirable vs over the top vs not good enough, and I don’t know what I don’t know regarding potential pitfalls and shortcuts that suppliers might be making to rip me off. I’ve got my eye on a couple of companies locally who have decent internet reviews, but I’d like to approach them from a position of a little bit of knowledge, else they’ll just see me coming.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice all welcome and appreciated.

thanks in advance

finishthat
    Free Member

Having the slab is a great start but:

If you can incorporate dwarf walls the workshop could last decades, even 3 courses of brick would help.

Otherwise  how the structure meets the slab determines its lifespan ,   examine the floor options very carefully , it has to be  dry with ventilation .

alexpalacefan

I’d incorporate some rebar and fibre insulation into the cavity. This will stop manual and power saws from simply slicing a new opening.

Up and Over doors are V easy to break open, go for a roller.

Fit an alarm.

More electrical outlets and lights than you think you will need.

APF

Sui
    Free Member

Oooh a log cabin build.. 🙂

I’m now living in mine until Sept/Oct time whilst my house is being re-built;

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/we-love-a-new-shed-build/page/2/

admittedly, completely different use requirement to your’s but it’s warm and functional.  What i will say, is think about any water and electrics first and plan where you think you might want everything.  I did this just before a i put plaster boards in due a to a change of heart (getting told off by builder friends) so it became more difficult.

linchpin
    Free Member

What Finishthat said.  Exactly the right advice.  And the power and insulation bits too.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

have a look at these guys https://gardensheduklimited.co.uk

owned and run by fellow bike riders and excellent product and prices too.  I have no affiliation to them.

nickjb
    Free Member

Where are you. In most, if not all, parts of the UK you will need building regs sign off which will dictate how it is built to some extent. You may also need planning permission (usually to get a decent roof height).

Can be ignored if you are tucked out the way and don’t have nosey neighbours, though.

v8ninety

Thanks chaps; some things to think about. Because of the comments above I’m already revising my plans; current size brings it in at 32m2 so it needs shrinking oh so slightly to bring it into permitted development territory. Building regs hassle just not worth it for 2m2!

alexpalacefan

Check if the m2 is external or internal. Taking into account wall thickness you may be able to go a bit larger.

APF

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help me spec my timber pent workshop please’ is closed to new replies.