• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by cb.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help me slacken an older bike
  • breninbeener

Hi, my daughter has a 2011 aluminium Trek Remedy 8. She loves it, but having ridden my slacker HT she would like to slacken it. Its a 69° HA at the mo, so taking it to 67 would be great.

The headset is an FSA 57, maybe a 57E.

The headset is an E2 so it takes a tapered steerer.

Can anyone help me with what i should order or what the headset code/dimensions are? Id prefer to find out if it was possible before i drive the old headset out.

Does anyone have any experience of this headset/frame combo?

Thanks
    Ian

BearBack
    Free Member

superstar slackerizer for 2.0 deg or works components angleset for 1.0deg.
    44mm upper 56mm lower (EC44/ZS56)
    you’ll need to measure the head tube length though.

breninbeener

@BearBack is that the correct id for the cups, or a generic item for slackening? I appreciate that the headset length plays its part too.

Ian

twotonpredator
    BearBack
    Free Member

Based on the FSA published specs of the fsa57 listed in the trek bike archive.
    I didn’t find published frame specs though.

breninbeener

@BearBack thank you.

I looked at offset bushes, but i didnt want to slacken the seat angle too.

Ian

Lionheart
    Free Member

I don’t think the slacken seat tube matters as much as slacker head angle, also you can use a no layback post and even bring the seat forwards on the rails.

wzzzz
    Free Member

don’t forget that a slackse, offset bushes and sliding the seat forwards will effectively shorten the reach of the bike.

Usually slacker bikes have longer reach.

I’d just get a new frame rather than throw time and money at old.

slowmover

Hi. I did this to a 2011 trek remedy. Works components slackset.offset bushes. Extended travel. Fundamentally the 2011 trek remedy is a very short bike for a modern bike. New bikes are long, low and slack.Of which long is the most important in my view. Slackset £80.offset bushes £24. The results of my experiments were not amazing. I would also strongly suggest selling the bike(you get good money for them) and buying a on one scandal or a bird 120 frame (they are on special) the bird will give a level of confidence that no amount of tweaking of that old remedy will ever achieve.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why not get a Superstar minus-2deg slackset AND offset bushings (Bounce are the best value and very durable).

You’ll have to look at all the numbers on the Superstar dropdown and work out which headset you need yourself, don’t trust strangers on the internet to tell you.

I’d just get a new frame rather than throw time and money at old.

Dunno, I remember when bikes went slack (before they went long) and that was a considerable improvement in itself.

harvey
    Free Member

i used works components 1.5 on a santa cruz hardball. it really did slacken and imo improved the ride for me. well pleased with the result. prob should have got for the 2.0 !

breninbeener

I used a Works Angleset -2° in my Orange Gyro which pretty much replicated the Orange Segment geometry and i was really pleased with it. I will try the offset bushes too. The bike is a medium and traditionally she would be on a small, so the long component seems to be catered for.

I will measure up and order an angleset/slackerizer.

cb

Does this work with all bikes or only some headsets replaceable in this way? I have a 2016 Enduro with a 67.5 degree head tube angle. The headset it comes with is the one below…

Hella Flush, 1-1/8″ and 1-1/2″ threadless, Campy style upper w/ 1-1/2″ lower, cartridge bearings

Would someone like superstar sell a slacker version of that?

breninbeener

@cb can you actually remove the headset cups? I have a Cube Stereo carbon and the bearings just drop into the machined recess in the frame, so you cant use the headset slackener. In my Orange i drove the cups out and refitted angleset cups.
    Does that help?

Ian

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a 2016 Enduro

Those had integrated headsets IIRC, so you can’t use an angle headset.

And the shock has a yoke at the back, so you can only use one offset bushing.

I had the 29er version and fitted the 650b yoke to slack it out nicely and lower the silly high BB, but you don’t say what size wheels yours is.

zerocool

Fit the slackest headset you can (superstar slackerizer) and try a pair of offset shock bushings from http://www.offsetshockbushings.com.
    Slide the saddle forward a little on the rails to replicate a slightly steeper seat angle.

Then buy her a nice new shiny bike next year when everyone in here goes through their yearly (for some almost monthly – no names mentioned😜) upgrade.

cb

Chapaking – My Enduro is the 29er like this…

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/2362/2016-enduro-elite-29/

So this means the 650 yoke is the only option for me?

EDIT – seems to be around £100. Any idea how significant the ‘slackening’ is?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help me slacken an older bike’ is closed to new replies.