Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help me plan a week biking/walking
  • rascal
    Free Member

I was supposed to go going to Scotland in the van in May for 2 weeks which obviously didn’t happen, so now have some time to take during the rest of this year. I want to take my bike and walking boots to get a few rides and walks in, staying in the van (bed, no bog). Time-wise I was thinking August as weather still good and prior commitments in Sept and Oct make it the best tine to fit with that.
    My default is the Lakes but that’s going to be mental in Aug as kids off (and most sites full).
    Wanted to do Helvellyn/Sticks/Seldom Seen ride and more natural rides generally – don’t like the Grizedale trail much and did Whinlatter in Nov so not bothered by that; years since I’ve been up Great Gable (walk) so that would be on the list.
    If I could ‘wild’ camp somewhere I would consider it for a few days but they take a dim view of that in the Lakes.
    Not sure what north Wales will be like in Aug, plus I’ve done all the trail centres up there and most of the 3,000ft tops for walking/scrambling (though only one of the Carneddau). Done Snowdon on the bike a few times and doing that in Oct too.
    I’ll probably be Billy No Mates unless I can rope a couple of mates in for a few days, so pubs would need to be fairly close by so I get a little bit of human interaction at least 😉 I like the Yorkshire Dales but there’s not the variety in such a concentrated space like the Lakes offers. A classic ‘WWSTD?’ plea…any (sensible) suggestions welcomed…

franksinatra

Head to Scotland, obviously. Schools go back on 11 Aug, more space on the roads, more wild camper options, more trails, more hill. Given your list of requirements I’d probably do a few days riding in Aviemore area then head over to Glencoe for a few days walking

jekkyl

Can you sleep in your van?
    Heading over to Ennerdale should provide some quiet spots to pitch up and sleep. Round Loweswater and all round there down to ennerdale doesn’t tend to get the same amount of visitors that Keswick gets.

martinhutch

Stop at a site somewhere nice just outside the national park, and drive in early to ride. There is loads of good stuff in the South Lakes that’s better than the Grizedale trail.

rascal
    Free Member

franksinatra – will keep Scotland for when me and Mrs R can do it together.
    jekkyl – yes I can sleep in the van – you reckon you can get away with ‘wild’ camp round that way?

GolfChick
    Free Member

Having just returned back from a week in the lakes inside our van being completely self contained with biking and hiking then yes it’s very much acceptable and allowed. It only got a little more populated at the weekends than it was mid week and even then I didnt think it was too bad considering a lot of people were like ‘omg there’s people everywhere all over the sides of our roads so get out and dont visit’.

Having said that I have another week off due before our holidays roll over in September and my next week I plan to be all over Scotland again being self contained.

rascal
    Free Member

Just come back from a few days in the van in the Lakes. Rammed is an understatement. Due to be back up there in 2 weeks and booked into a site in Pooley Bridge, the same one I stayed at one day last week. Let’s just say I would rather not go to the Lakes than go there again if it’s my only option…which looks to be the case as everywhere is booked for the foreseeable (the ones that are open anyway). So back to my original question of a location for biking and a bit of walking for 3 or 4 days…that isn’t the Lakes…

ta11pau1

Scotland!!

Wales = Rammo.
    Lakes = Rammo.
    Peaks = Rammo (especially if there’s a rare vulture about)

tjagain

if you do not have an on board bog you need to use campsites.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help me plan a week biking/walking’ is closed to new replies.