Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Help me pick a watch
  • larrythelathe
    Free Member

I. Would like to buy myself a new watch. I would like a rolex submariner but that’s way to expensive.

I have been looking at this.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-vintage-Military-,477.html

Any got any good idea on who does good nice watches for reasonable money?

darrenspink
    Free Member

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Get a Rolex.

25 year old ones fetch over £3k and I bet they weren’t £3k 25 years ago.

Not a sub though, explorer 2’s are where it’s at.

everyone
    Free Member

Those Steinharts are great looking watches. What sort of budget were you looking at? (You should definitely disregard your budget and get a Rolex or an Omega)

shredder
    Free Member

Got one of these Elliot Brown Canford at Christmas. Now have it on a leather strap . Lovely watch very pleased with it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seiko for excellent watches on a budget.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

The rolex is about 4.5k I would like,to spend 500 ish

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Tudor heritage black bay

Edit. Just seen your budget…keep saving 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The rolex is about 4.5k I would like,to spend 500 ish

Get a Yobokies for £100 and save for the Rolex then.

cozz
    Free Member

christopher ward trident ?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these (mines on the leather strap though) and they’re great watches. Really high quality build and movement but a cracking price. Definitely recommended.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dive/c60-tri/c60-tri-skcs.html

Konastoner
    Free Member

Have a look here: –

Watch Finder

I bought my Tag Aquaracer here and highly recommend them, theres a Tag F1 in your budget too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Get yourself over to TZ UK and pick yourself up a nice Seiko Tuna. SBBN007, 015, 017 etc.

Cannot get a better watch for the money. They are japan market only though so you can’t buy a new one unless you import it.

Would love another SBBN015 myself.

piemonster

Get a Rolex.

25 year old ones fetch over £3k and I bet they weren’t £3k 25 years ago.

£1400 ?
    Some chaps actually posted a 1989 price list up here

coolhandluke
    Free Member

From that, you’d be stupid not to buy a Rolex.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Have a look at Vostok Europe watches. Good looking reliable automatics at very reasonable prices. I have a Gaz 14 Limousine.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

prettygreenparrot

if you want a watch, consider a Fortis. Same ETA mechs as many name brands + some interesting history. Ignoring that, get a vintage Rolex. Ignore the ETA-based brands that rely on celebrity endorsement and overinflated prices to maintain ‘brand’ character.

Just googled ETA and fortis and the result that came up was the same model as my watch.

prettygreenparrot

@derek_starship. some of those vostok watches look very neat. 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

prettygreenparrot

OP. The Steinhart pieces look nice. Check out the origin of the movements, not to put you off, but to reassure you. When I looked at watches ages ago (er, >10 years) I found that many manufacturers, including big names, used ETA movements. Just like many motor manufacturers use e.g. Lucas parts or Sony use Samsung LCD panels. That made me rethink my ‘I’d like an Omega speed master’ idea. Folks will notice from my earlier post that I went for something quite different. Several factors played into it.

One thing I was certain of was that I was prepared to sacrifice accuracy for an automatic movement and some fun.

I had to have an automatic movement because I cannot bear the sound of a quartz movement as I try to go to sleep. The quarter-minute ‘tocking’ of a quartz movement keeps me awake to the point where I have to take the battery out of any clock where I visit. The tick-tick-tick of a clockwork movement however is a very different thing.

the ETA movement in my Cosmonaut’s automatic has the fun of German and English day abbreviations. I only found that out after I played with it. I was certain I wanted a day/date mechanism.

Cougar

I adore my Citizen Eco-Drive.

But then, I work for a living, so am probably outside the demographic for this discussion.

CountZero

Seiko FTW. That Tuna Ioddrik posted up is the mutts, frankly, and I’d much, much rather have one of those than a Rolex. If you can find one, a Seiko SPORK, (SP045RK), is a lovely watch, automatic, beautifully clear dial, and very accurate once properly set up.
    Here’s mine, the strap is not standard, it’s a ‘sharkskin’ stainless-steel mesh strap from eBay:

I genuinely love this watch to bits, cost me £350, NOS, this model’s been discontinued, but you can probably track one down.

ElShalimo

For us mere mortals, Creation Watches is your friend

Holyzeus
    Free Member

£500 budget. Yobokies is your man

lunge

Assuming you want a Submariner type then I would suggest a look at Orient Mako’s (6500 for a big face, 7500 for slightly smaller) or Chris Ward Tridents. Both in budget, both hood quality movements, both look more expensive then they are.

CHB

Steinhart and chris ward are both good.
    Hamiltons are nice too, but style is hit and miss for me.

I have a chris ward harrison GMT and its really nice.
    The other option I always recommend is casio oceanus range. They do some fantastic solar powered, radio controlled watches for c£500 and thats with titanium and saphire crystal. Dont be put off by the brand name, oceanus stuff is really good quality.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’d second the orient recommendation but instead of the Mako I’d go for (went for) the Ray. If anywhere has a blue dial on a bracelet that’s the one to go for.

mssansserif
    Free Member

£500 is a bit of an awkward amount to spend on a watch.

Cheapish automatics are about the 2-3 hundred range and then it’s about £1000 for the next step up.

£500 is no-mans land.

toys19
    Free Member

I echo the seiko comments above, that steinhart, whilst very nice, looks exactly like this which is 165quid, automatic and bloody handsome with a 35 year pedigree. I have one and it draws comments, has a nostalgic feel of the early 80’s and is frankly awesome.
    (PS yobokies makes awesome modded seiko’s, for that individual feel)

Clobber
    Free Member

£500 is a bit of an awkward amount to spend on a watch.

Cheapish automatics are about the 2-3 hundred range and then it’s about £1000 for the next step up.

£500 is no-mans land.

You’ve never heard of Christopher Ward then….

benz
    Free Member

Try Timefactors…Eddie has some cracking watches for good prices. Steinhart also good…..

derek_starship
    Free Member

Vostok FTW.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Take a look at Mondaine. I’ve got one, it keeps time well, and looks gorgeous(in my opinion obviously), unlike a lot of really gaudy, chintzy watches that cost five times as much.

accu
    Free Member

a mate just got his steinhart ocean vintage one two weeks ago,
    one out of the first batch..
    really nice.. and very well made…

Bregante

I do like those Mondaine’s but it’s hard to see past one of these at £45 at the minute.

rockhopperbike

that looks great- £45- must resist

peterfile
    Free Member

From that, you’d be stupid not to buy a Rolex.

I’m always confused by statements like this.

Yes, rolexes hold value/appreciate…but do people actually hold on to an expensive watch for 25 years and then sell it? Surely they either swap them out sooner (and probably taking some form of hit) or then can’t part with it and pass it on or keep it?

So the fact that it holds value is meaningless to some extent. I bet most of the 25 year old rolexes you see for sale come from two sources (a) people who’ve inherited and thing it’s gopping/need the cash, or (b) constant trade between those buying and selling used rolexes exclusively (i.e. the majority of 25 year old rolexes you see being advertised wouldn’t be being sold by it’s original owner)

smcicr
    Free Member

Got any Tesco club card vouchers lying around?

I paid about £500 cash towards an £1800 Omega many years ago by using a fistful of club card vouchers at Goldsmiths. Admittedly they are 3x value now rather than the 4x they were then (I think).

If you have to buy now then get a cheaper stopgap, get a club card credit card, spend everything on it each month and look out for bonus point offers to boost your total.

Bit of patience required but it should mean you can get a more expensive watch 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy an Omega as an investment, they don’t keep their money anything remotely like Rolex’s, which are peerless in this regard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Help me pick a watch’ is closed to new replies.