Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help me pick a gilet!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Two requirements;
    1) It must have a back pocket to throw a bottle, ipod, etc into.
    2) I don’t want it to be too tight fitting so that it doesn’t stretch around over my jersey pockets if they have stuff in them.

Thats all!! Lot’s of nice ones I’ve looked at don’t have a pocket or seem to be too tight.

Ta…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bump…

tonyd

I’ve a Gore Countdown AS and can’t fault it. Has rear pockets and a single decent sized chest pocket. It also has slots either side of the rear pockets so you can get to jersey pockets. Rear pockets are also slightly baggy to give room for full jersey pockets.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Are the rear pockets really small though? I’d rather one large rear pocket than a few small ones.

shifter
    Free Member

Start Cycles in Newcastle are still knocking out Scott ones at much reduced prices.

scaredypants

if you have a “baggy” one I imagine it’d wobble a lot with a bottle in it

Mackem

My endura one is very nice.

brakes
    Free Member

garneau do on with a hole in the back so that you can get to your jersey pockets.

d45yth
    Free Member

Gore Alp-X with the zip-off arms. End of thread.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gore softshell jacket with zip off arms, Phantom SO I think. Great piece of kit and very versatile.

nick1962
    Free Member

Got one of these from one of the German bike shops last year ,though for half this price.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78931
    One large zipped pocket on the rear fits a 600ml water bottle though maybe not with stuffed jersey pockets underneath .Use it for road and MTB and take it with me every time I ride now.Packs small(fits in a small jersey pocket) ,shower resistant, washes well,can’t fault it.I’m more portly middle aged than road racing snake skinny and it fits me fine.Sizing a bit confusing.I am usually a medium 38/39 inch chest so went for UK/USA size Large/Japan size XO/Interntional size XL

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thanks nick. Is the fit very tight though? It looks very racy and fitted.

Also, do the Gore gilets have very small rear pockets?

niloC
    Free Member

Vulpine do a vest with rear pockets and relaxed fit

johnhe

I bought an Endura Convert. The sleeves easily fit into one of the back pockets. Decent jacket with sleeves and decent gilet without. I love it. I’m sure the Gore is even better.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bump…

Anyone tried the Adidas ones?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

michaelmcc – Member

Also, do the Gore gilets have very small rear pockets?

Mine’s the Alp-X 2.0 SO Zip Off. It has a front chest zipped pocket. The rear has three pockets. The outer two are zipped, so good for keys, wallet etc plus gels, food whatever. The central pocket is a large pouch type which will easily take a bottle.

I’ve not run out of space with mine.

I took my arm warmers off halfway round a 50 miler on Sunday as the temperature increased. I stuffed them into my short sleeved jersey pocket which was under my gilet with no problems.

Not the cheapest, but being able to zip sleeves off gives it 3-4 season use.

I bought mine from Biketreks when I was in the Lakes, but these TGStore seem pretty good on price.

tonyd

OP, sorry for not replying, just checked back into this thread. Yes, the pockets in mine are fairly slim but deepish. I generally only carry a sandwich bag with phone/wallet/ID card for work. Keys go in the chest pocket and tools are in a bottle.

I have also had knee warmers in the back pockets without issue. If I need to carry more I just use jersey pockets. They’re easy to get to.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help me pick a gilet!’ is closed to new replies.