• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help me persuade a confirmed MTB rider onto the roads
  • druidh
    Free Member

Ok – so a mate will likely be getting access to the C2W scheme. He already has two verrrry nice bikes, FS and hardtail Nicolais. He’s also going to be moving down to the Scottish Borders soon.

I reckon he needs to try road biking and that something along the lines of a Specialized Tricross will give him loads of options.

What winning argument can you suggest 😀

MrAgreeable

Show him that article about road riding that was in STW a few months back. It seemed to set out the pros pretty well (not having to drive anywhere, better for developing fitness, etc).

You could also add that cafe or pub stops are much more workable than on most MTB rides.

tommo999
    Free Member

I can’t, and neither should you. If you were a real friend, you’d encourage him to ride offroad even more. 😉

ransos
    Free Member

I find it’s easier to fit road riding into a busy life than mtbing – just grab your shoes and go, no travel to the trail, and no cleaning up afterwards. Handy if you only have a couple of spare hours.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Just lie and tell him it’s fun.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I find it’s easier to fit road riding into a busy life than mtbing – just grab your shoes and go, no travel to the trail, and no cleaning up afterwards. Handy if you only have a couple of spare hours.

I find it that easy to get out on my mountain bike.

Nobody should be forced into getting a road bike. Even more so some kinda of freak cyclocross bike. Thats not going to get someone into road riding – thats going to make them appear on a register somewhere within MI5.

bonj
    Free Member

There’s only trails in specific places, but there’s roads all over the place
    You go faster
    You go further thus see more countryside
    It’s more of a ‘constant on’ so the endorphin rush at the end of a ride is greater, even if it may not have the same fun aspect
    A good down hill on the road really does feel like a good downhill

enfht
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to go messing with the guys head?

If it aint broke….

squiff
    Free Member

Ransos

I ride mtb and road, but I totally agree with you 😀

rOcKeTdOg

get him to ride behind this

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong – I much prefer mtbing – but if I’m pushed for time, a quick blast on the road bike gives me my cycling fix. Plus it helps with fitness for mtbing, which can only be a good thing.

MrAgreeable

Even more so some kinda of freak cyclocross bike.

Cyclocross bikes are genius. You can do some road, some off-road, boring trails will suddenly become life-or-death challenges, harder ones are mostly still rideable, and he will find that being a reasonably decent MTBer is not enough to stop him being completely pwned in a CX race. 😉

And cycle touring rocks. 😳

Drac

Good luck my mate has been trying it for 14 years.

squiff
    Free Member

Ransos

I agree again. 😀 😀

Shandy
    Free Member

It is good for your fitness and keeps you nice and smooth on the pedals. You can cover a lot of distance and explore little back roads, meaning you see a lot of scenery and string a lot of different routes together. The bike doesn’t require as much work and you don’t get covered in sh1te, which is nice for a change.

jam-bo

i bought a road bike through the bike to work scheme.

it was the least enjoyable bike i have ever bought. only upside was when I came to sell it, i didnt lose any money as I’d only paid half price for it.

DezB
    Free Member

You could show him that safe commuting survey from the other day – road riding is statistacally safer than mtbing. About the only thing i can think of really.

druidh
    Free Member

Any more for any more??

crazy-legs

The ability to go for a 2hr ride then *not* spend 2hrs putting wet muddy kit through the washing machine and removing the trail from the bike.

Road bikes rock. 🙂
    CX bikes also rock for all the reasons that MrAgreeable has given above.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Why not just ride a road route on your mountain bike if you don’t want to get dirty?
    I can’t see the need to buy a road bike for an occasional training ride.

dobo
    Free Member

tonight i had a planned a mtb ride but was raining and generally grim outside and just couldnt be arsed to slog it in the mud and rain so hit the road with my slicked up singlespeed mtb.
    i didnt even bother taking a drink or anything else i just wacked on some shorts and helmet & gloves and smashed out 26 odd miles in 1.5hrs, came back a little damp, bike dont need cleaning and is always ready to go no matter what happens! love it

its a lot slower than a geared road bike but faster than my geared xc bike for sure, rolls over hills much easier

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help me persuade a confirmed MTB rider onto the roads’ is closed to new replies.