Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Help me narrow down my CX shortlist!
  • ahsat

After looking for a do it all bike and being suggested a CX, I have got very distracted looking at bikes.

Price point £800-£1500 (top end only if its really worth it, as I might not even like CX). I am not looking for a race machine – I want something for winter riding, quicker on the road than a 2″ mtb, decent range of gears (its hilly up north), disc brakes and some form of comfort. I slipped a disc this summer, so a really aggressive race geom isn’t going to do my back any good. Shimano kit preferred. The bike mechanic (aka the husband) doesn’t really like press fit bottom brackets, but that isn’t a deal breaker! Oh and I am a women, ok a 5’9″ one, so I ride blokes bikes, but it cant have a really long top tube. As per my post at the weekend, I am a bit scared of drop bars, but I’ll give it another go.

Current contenders:

Cannondale Caadx Ultegra – I like the fact isn’t such a race set up and bit more relaxed riding position

Planet X XLS – Good value package

Kinesis Pro 6 – Just cause a few people mentioned it

Rose Pro DX – Nice spec list.

I ideally would have loved steel (love my Soul), but I cant afford top end steel to get a light enough frame (for me not to get annoyed with it).

Over to you stw, you have successfully chosen my last two mountain bikes (Nicolai Helius and Cotic Soul) which I love! Don’t let me down…..! 😀

Thanks

supertune205
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

Rose Pro DX – Nice spec list.

Would be my choice.

Houns

Kinesis

bikebouy
    Free Member

Boardmans pro CX £899.
    I think I’ve won. 😆

Sam

Could probably put together a Singular Kite build for that sort of money. I will have to check on stock of a suitable size though, fear I may be out.

Kuco

I like the looks of the Canyon

Though I also like the Cannondale but i’ve always had a thing for Cannondales.

benji
    Free Member

If it was my money I would be spending it on the Cannondale, their aluminium frames have always been superb, and the geometry on them is spot on, nice neutral handling without being too lazy and laid back. Think about changing mine sometimes but haven’t tried anything else I like better or think rides better. Only grumble not enough mud clearance sometimes.

Ed2001
    Free Member

I was looking at similar price point and similar bikes , the dale and kinesis but I would add a van dessel gin and trombones to that list, I absolutely love mine.They are from the US but you can get them from The Bearded Man Shop.( who I found very helpful)

toby1

Are you sure you want a CX as opposed to a tourer? Seemed worth asking. If Sam can’t help have you looked at the Kaffenback?

oldgit
    Free Member

ahsat, I’m a roadie and CX’er first and foremost, but I purchased a 29er earlier this year and I’ve used that a lot on the road. I train, commute and have even done sportives on it, and that’s riding it straight out of the box. So I’d imagine a light rigid 29’er would do nicely?
    From experience I’d say it’s best to get the right bike for the job rather than make a CX bike a road bike or an MTB a crosser. I think what you’ve described is a hybrid?

ahsat

Thanks for the replies so far. Loads more to look at and think about. Sam, thanks for the offer of looking at stock. I do really love the singular kit.

To be honest, I am not quite sure what I want (typical woman)!

I am looking for a bike for when the weather and conditions are a bit naff. So something that moves pretty quick along the road but can also manage old railway lines and bridleways and isn’t terrifying in the wet (like my road bike – Trek 2.1). I am not afraid of mud (its my job!), but I just get a bit fed up either riding very slowly on my mountain bike on the road, or feeling I have to take it off road for a boggy moorland crossing! I had looked at hybrids before and have been tempted, just don’t want something slow/heavy! I am already slow enough!

antigee

Kinesis pro6 here – used for trails and sportive style things – I really like mine big time but would say the frame is race orientated and I find a bit tiring on longer road rides compared with touring orientated road bikes I’ve had so I wouldn’t vote for on comfort grounds
    – toe overlap an is an issue(but possibly is on others) and the position for the rear disc is less useful than more recent models that put it inside the rear triangle out of the way
    fits mudguards well and is a lot of fun with plenty of tyre clearance and positive to ride on loose stuff

Dunk10
    Free Member

Trek crossrip is £1k has disc brakes and the ability to take full length guards. The crockett 5 can also take mudguards but at £1.4k is at the top of your budget

seanbolton
    Free Member

Boardman CX Team 2014

RRP is £899, but Halfords often have 10% discount offers on, plus if you are a British Cycling member you can get a further 10% off.

So buy at the right time and you will pick it up for around £730.

Other than that, the Planet-X carbon bike for £999 looks good value, and the Cannondale series are very nice bikes.

gordimhor

I have just got myself a crossrip . It was comfortable and (compared to my mtb) quick on the test ride.

kcal

When you say way of drop bars, almost a touring bike with flat bars might suit –
    Dawes Galaxy Flat Bar with Discs –
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/galaxy-cross-disc-2013-flat-bar-touring-bike-ec050875

Sam’s your man on decent bike + kit. Boardman would be fine.
    Specialized Tricross could be very adaptable.
    Giant TCX range?

Others in no particular order –
    Salsa Fargo, Vaya?
    Surly Straggler (maybe)

kcal

tried to edit but timed out ..

Kite is cantis only though.

FWIW my old Marin hybrid was used as a commute bike, then towing kids and cargo bike, now with some more rugged tyres on it it works pretty well as a flat barred bike for rough roared spins (though my son now has it). Don’t dismiss the hybrid side of things, it will at least likely have flat bars which might be just what you need.

At the very least, try and find an adjustable rise stem, and ensure the bars are wide enough – I went for shallow drop bars (Vero) and also Cowbell bars which have slight flare to them..

Edinburgh Bicycle – Revolution Cross might suffice
    Genesis – Day One or at a push CDF / Croix de Fer

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Boardmans pro CX £899.
    I think I’ve won 😆

The Team is £899. The Pro has been recalled due to cracking paint/weld filler.
    I think you’ve failed 🙂

iainc

my take on this is that up till last year or 2 the most obvious answer would be CX bike, of which there are many, normally roadesq geometry, carbon forks, alloy frame, derived from/to race and do other stuff.

As other have said these can be a bit compromised as a ‘jack of all trades’ bike.

There are more non racy CX bikes around now, which maybe better suited for you. Things like the CDF and Croix De Fer, Orange’s new offering – steel frames, disk braked, more like a rugged tourer than a weekend racer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh, it’s the Team I was on about.. I still win, by a large £’s margin 😆
    It’s a good bike too, mate has one and changed a couple of things, post,bars,tyres and he’s rattling like a good’un on it. I’m going for a ridout on it on Saturday to see what the fuss is about.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Look at Ridley, some excellent specced bikes, Ridley X-Bow 10 105 £1000 LBS has some in and they look nice also have mudgaurd eyes.

oldgit
    Free Member

What about a Road Rat? if you don’t want race geometry and don’t want drops.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Genesis Croix de fer? Although if you are bothered about weight look elsewhere. It’s versatile though.

Boardman, Canyon, Rose for the money although waiting time could be long with the Canyon.

Not impressed by Orange’s CX bike, parts are low end for the money.

Personally I like the Kinesis Pro 6 but again there is a few weeks waiting time on them.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I thought it was the Baordman Team that was cracking around the top of the seat stay? http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2014-boardman-cxs/page/2

ahsat

Genesis Croix de fer? Although if you are bothered about weight look elsewhere. It’s versatile though.

I did look at the Genesis, but unless I can part with £2k I think the weight of the lower priced one is too much

Boardmans are an option, but I do have a mental ‘Halford’ link block on them! Call me a snob!

What about a Road Rat? if you don’t want race geometry and don’t want drops.

That had been my initial plan, but I then got put off by some discussions about them being too road focused and I was wanting something a bit more mixed. Views seem divided on whether that is the case or not!

At the very least, try and find an adjustable rise stem, and ensure the bars are wide enough – I went for shallow drop bars (Vero) and also Cowbell bars which have slight flare to them..

Thanks that’s useful.

Off to also look on the Ridley website.

I think I really need to go and look and try a range of CX and hybrid type things.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Planet X Uncle John? Tall headtubes so more upright than most.
    I am also a 5’9″ tall woman and have one of these.

The bike is a medium and I’m currently running it with flat bars and a 100mm stem. Bars are level with the saddle using 45mm of spacers.

Loads of clearance for big tyres. It’s currently running 37mm slicks with enough room for mudguards. It will fit 40mm Marathon Extremes without mudguards.

damascus
    Free Member

Just to add another one. I run a kinesis tripster decade cx disc. Like the pro 6 but not as racey. Has in board rear disc so you can run racks and guards.

Its a do it all bike. Takes upto a 1.5 inch Tyre. You can run it with flat bars or drops or even add front suspension.

ahsat

Thanks Damascus – I like the look of that. That might be ideal. Also found the Ridley X Disc which is even more towards a mtb, with XT. Struggling to find one in the UK though.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Help me narrow down my CX shortlist!’ is closed to new replies.