• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help me! I've got too many tomatoes……
  • Simon

…… need some recipe ideas.

z1ppy

I used all ours up making Passata and tomato soup using me mums recipe (though she probably didn’t create it) & freezing both.

Mum’s tomato soup recipe:
    2 rasher of bacon [fry, then add]
    1 onion [fry gently till soft]
    Add one large potato, a carrot and piece of celery [all diced & allow to sweat a bit]
    Then add 800g of tomatoes (or two tins, as this works too)
    A squirt of tomato sauce (for sweetness) and a chicken stock cube (I just add home made chicken stock, enough to cover the tomatoes)
    Cover with water (if you don’t use chicken stock)
    add seasoning to taste
    Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes before liquidizing

As I’ve had a decent crop I just double the vegetable ingredients and throw in 2kg of tomatoes…

RustySpanner

Ours are 90% green. 😐

There will be chutney.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bloody Mary – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(cocktail)

there is not much complexity in mixing vodka and tomato juice, more elaborate versions of the drink have become trademarks of the bartenders who make them. A common garnish is a celery stalk when served in a tall glass, often over ice.

MrNice
    Free Member

I made Rick Stein’s tomato curry recipe last night. Nom nom nom

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Roughly chop, simmer a few mins, freeze in those plastic boxes (like takeaways come in). Use as a base for stock, with a lightly-fried finely-chopped onion. To be really posh, simmer a bit longer and use the back of a wooden spoon to push the nice goo through a sieve, leaving behind the skins, seeds and stringy bits.

Investigate faux sun-dried using a fan oven on low.

sharkbait
    Free Member

tomato ketchup?

chiefgrooveguru

Fan-oven-dried tomatoes work very well!

roper
    Free Member

invite some friends round?

Scapegoat

If they’re ripe, roast them in the oven to intensify their flavour and sweetness, then skin and blitz them before making a ragout sauce similar to the passata above with garlic, olive oil, black pepper and onions, adding basil and oregano. Freeze in bolognese sized portions for later.

RustySpanner

What can we do with the green ones?

We don’t have a ferret.

dannyh
    Free Member

If you don’t decide soon, time will ketchup with you.

That’s frankly rubbish on my part.

Sorry.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Get some scotch bonnet and chipotle chilies and make some tomato and chili chutney

z1ppy

damn, good point, add a nice warm chilli (not stupidly hot) into the soup recipe above (I grow both)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Drop them in the freezer and when ever you make a stew drop a frozen one or two in.

tthew

Rusty, I tried green tomato chutney once. A massive pan boiled down to about 2 jars, that were minging.

My recommendation, put them in the compost heap with the plants.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Try cutting the green ones as a whole truss and leaving them on a sunny windowsill to ripen.

Drac

Tomato Jam

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help me! I've got too many tomatoes……’ is closed to new replies.