Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help me Identify this Hope brake
  • fotorat
    Free Member

Does anyone know what version this is, Ionly have the front and wnat to get a matching rear brake

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hope XC 4. If you go on the Hope website they have the tech details. 😀
    http://www.hopetech.com/product-documents/brakes/#!xc4-brake

tomhoward

E4?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    P20

XC4

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I downloaded an 8 page article on old Hope brakes but can’t for the life of me find out where from. But this is a useful excerpt;

XC4

General Info:

This is a new XC-specific disc brake offered by Hope that uses a closed system consisting of four pistons.

The front and rear rotors are only available in 150mm and 130mm diameters, respectively.

Note: The XC4 must be used with Hope hubs. Other disc-compatible hubs (King DiscGo Tech, Hugi, Shimano, etc.) are not compatible with the XC4. Using hubs other than Hope will place the caliper into the spokes.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yep xc 4. Closed lever, the dial on the top is so you can alter contact point as pads wear. Old school!

P20

They are wide brakes running small rotors. They did clear my King hubs, but using the 13mm wide adapter. I ran 150front 130rear. You could always add a 20mm adapter to gain some more clearance

P20

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4qJZgy]Bonty Disc[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Running on King hubs

snaps
    Free Member

I might have one for sale – email in profile

sillyoldman

Hope have made a few howlers – QRs, early headsets, hubs with exploding flanges, rims, seatposts etc, but the XC4 brake is arguably the worst product they ever made.

Edit – apologies Snaps!

P20

I loved them. A lot of people had problems with heat build up, but they just worked for me

amedias
    Free Member

but the XC4 brake is arguably the worst product they ever made.

It actually made an exceptional front brake for trials riding. Very very smooth and with excellent modulation, power was decent enough, and it was very small (rotor too) so clearances were great/ chance of bashability low. And you never had heat issues on a trials bike.

DickBarton

Nope…dial is to adjust bite as the system overheats and the pads lock the wheel…you then screw the dial and move pads out.

Bloody awful system for overheating.

gray

Dial is for both purposes. Could be worse – my first disc brakes were Coda single piston ones. One fixed pad, one pushed by a piston. Adjustment was via an allen bolt on the caliper. In the alps I had to stop halfway down each long descent and get an allen key out to back off the piston. Then remember to adjust it back in again once it had cooled and before the next descent, otherwise it’d pull to the bars with no braking…

An excellent design!

fotorat
    Free Member

I got this of ebay earlier this year, although it is a left hand lever with a short hose / front brake – that will have to change

So what want is a matching claiper and right hand lever..ideally with a long hose!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help me Identify this Hope brake’ is closed to new replies.