Help me find the perfect car/van for work

Home Forum Chat Forum Help me find the perfect car/van for work

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help me find the perfect car/van for work
  • Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I need a car for work. The car I have currently isn’t bad. It’s an Astra Estate. However, it’s deemed too old by company so I can’t get the “contribution” towards it each month!
    It needs to be less than 3 years old.
    Needs to cost less than £10k
    Needs to be diesel and economical. I’m doing about 25000 miles a year, mostly motorway.
    Lots of load carrying capacity. The old Astra H estate is just about big enough, the newer shape isn’t.
    I’m open to the idea of a small van and would feel much happier with something between me and the stuff I’m carrying rather than having it all stuffed on the rear seat. Is a van typically more expensive than a car to insure? Would obviously be more use for the bikes!
    Two seats are ample 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon I might need three.
    Some of the places I end up with it are less than ideally surfaced so a bit of ground clearance would be nice but I don’t need a full on 4WD off road beast.
    Cruise control would be nice.
    Oh yeah, can I have the moon on a stick while we’re at it?

towzer

I’m on a 1.6hdi Citroen Berlingo, car – with van potential (seats bolt out 2008*), so see also Pug Partner as same thing, I’d certainly have a look at that (and similar ‘carized’ vans. *Fiat Doblo comes in 2L version (*ie quicker)

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Thanks for that. 🙂

Unfortunately, the wife won’t allow a French car anywhere near the house. :-[

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Any more suggestions?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

People carrier and fold seats away? Galaxy.

waveydave

transit on factory fitted lpg. 3 seats in front. bulkhead behind seats, great to drive, warm comfy, high driving position, room in back for bikes and camping gear. Insurance for me is less than our car – £350. great ground clearance. fit M&S tyres and it will be better than most 4WD’s. Way cheaper than a VW.

slackalice

Have a look at the Nissan X-Trail Dci. I do the same mileage as you. Rear seats folded down and a full liner does me when I carry a load of tools around for work. It’s robust and has taken a year of being used as a work vehicle and family transport. Reasonably economical (circa 35mpg), 4wd and ground clearance when I need it, cruise control, good on long journeys -drove down to South France this summer with the family, it tows really well and I fitted some Wispbar roof bars that take a silly number of ply and mdf sheets when I need it to. It’s load space is very good and takes 3 bikes and 3 people very happily. Reliable so far too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help me find the perfect car/van for work’ is closed to new replies.