Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Help me find some new music
  • deserter
    Free Member

I travel a lot and love listening to music but I’ve found using Spotify I’m not finding any new music now a days, so help me out

Your favourite album this year

Your favourite all time for anything I’ve missed

Thanks in advance

Mister-P
    Free Member

Where’s DezB (and his terrible tastes) when you need him?

New Floating Points has been my listening this week –

zippykona

What stuff do you like?

My Shazam has never been busier since I started listening to radio Caroline

That and Gideon Coe.

tomparkin

I’ve never really listened to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds much before (other than Red Right Hand, naturally) but I stumbled across this recently and it’s a trip:

Although it’s not an album I was very excited when this Elder EP came out earlier in the year:

llama

You will either love this or find it very annoying, there is no middle:

New release, old crap, but all in the same place:

funkmasterp

I tend to read reviews on Pitchfork and other sites. Add findings to a new place list and throw in whatever new releases are showing on your streaming platform of choice. Stick on shuffle and keep the bands / artists that you like the sound of. The approach has worked a treat over the years.

slowoldman

I’ve never really listened to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds much before (other than Red Right Hand, naturally) but I stumbled across this recently and it’s a trip:

I trust you will now go back and fill in the gaps. Let Love In, Murder Ballads perhaps or Grinderman (well almost Bad Seeds but definitely Nick Cave).

Drac

DezB’s posts.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

1. difficult to choose one. Been a good year.

Tropical **** Storm – ‘Braindrops’ or
    Oh Sees – ‘Face Stabber’

2. Don’t know if there can be an all-time favourite. What kind of music/bands/genres do you favour? Then I’ll see if anything that I fave collides with a gap in yr listening 🙂

brant
    Free Member

Absolutely love this gem of a debut album just released from Dog Daisies which nobody will have ever heard of.

https://dogdaisies.bandcamp.com/album/eagletism

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

We need to know what kind of music you like already OP ?

DezB
    Free Member

I agree, DezB’s posts. Not sure which, but those.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway, this is my current fave
    https://lorange360.bandcamp.com/album/complicate-your-life-with-violence

Not much good to you if you don’t like the rapping though.

PJay
    Free Member

I go through phases, but I’ve really been enjoying Anthem of the Peaceful Army – Greta Van Fleet; it has a lovely old style prog-rock sound & feel.

deserter
    Free Member

I honestly like a bit of everything but I’m very mood based, I can go from dance music to bands to rap even modern classical, only thing off limits would be country, I like a bit of moody band music at the mo like joy division etc, honestly hit me up with anything I want to discover some new stuff, and I’m sure I’ve missed lots of stuff over the years as my earlier years were dominated by rave music and the Manchester band scene so Stone Roses etc

Moses

Updated punky BritPop from Amsterdam: Pip Blom. They toured in October – great fun.

Drac

I agree, DezB’s posts. Not sure which, but those.

Can’t get a better review than that.

slowoldman

only thing off limits would be country

Ha, that was me up to a few years ago. Then I discovered Bluegrass which led to “proper” country music, not this dreadful “Hot Country” nonsense.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh Kim Gordon (about 40 years older than most of the people I listen to!!) has released a great album

and this was the last band what I sawed live

wordnumb
    Free Member

So stop using Spotify, have a look through the names of people who play on the records you like and see what other records they’ve played on.

I’m currently listening to the new Swans record and the new Battles record.

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh Kim Gordon (about 40 years older than most of the people I listen to!!) has released a great album

Oh bollocks, I agree with DezB. Probably my favourite album released this year.

Quite like Àngel Olsen’s new one (all mirrors).

Some of my favourite tracks of the year :

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Steven Wilson – To the Bone is recent and superb.

donks
    Free Member

New to me today thanks to Lauren LaVerne this morning is l’Epee ( frenchies) who do phsycodelic rock based stuff. I think they are entwined with the Brian Jones town masacre (also bloody good) as there’s a definite cross over.
    Staying on the psycedelia front…. Moon duo are decent as are psychic ills and the afore mentioned thee oh sees.
    Fat white family are good.
    Also quite like Wand at the moment.

Oh and Goat are pretty decent if you’ve not heard them. Pretty tribal phsycodelic rock experimental stuff….well I like em anyway.

donks
    Free Member

Oh also forgot Beak. Quite like those boys at the moment. Going to see them in Bedford next month…should be good.

Mister-P
    Free Member

This evening I’ve be listening to Fink’s new album Bloom Innocent and then some of his older stuff on a Spotify playlist.

fossy

Try The Montagues – they are from North Wales and very good – saw them live in August, just getting better known, local band.

Creg

Belgian band Brutus have been my standout band for this year although most of the people I’ve recommended them to haven’t like them.

sirromj

Tune association thread + discogs = new music.

Pick a word (or words) from title/artist/album of last post in Tune Association thread. Use it as a such term in Discogs. Refine by the genre/style that you’re in the mood for. If you want music made this year then refine by 2010’s->2019. Trawl until you find something you like. You should be able to find something, probably easier if you’re broad minded about what music you like (I’m not that broad minded). You can tell if you like it by playing the youtube video embedded for the entry, though some entries aren’t popular enough or are too niche, but sometimes someone (or a bot) will have uploaded something to YT anyway. You have to be brave and not need someone to tell you what you’re listening to is good though 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ariana Grande ?

Yeah, why not…

But this… and it has to be played through headphones and quite loud..

corroded
    Free Member

I’m off to Tasmania soon so I’ve been listening to Pond’s album:

somafunk

Everyone should own at least one album by The Beta Band, the 3ep is a good place to start

Max Cooper is also worth a listen, perfect with a large whisky.

athgray
    Free Member

Everyone should own at least one album by The Beta Band, the 3ep is a good place to start

It’s very good. I like She’s the One.
    I like my atmospheric drum an bass. Here is one from a classical violinist and pianist, turned his hand to dnb.
    https://youtu.be/nd_W1QN61ss

kneed

For a stream of new stuff: FIP. Is like 6Music used to be but more random and a few advantages:
    – The presenters have great accents
    – No ads – not even for BBC tv shows.
    – The news sounds something along the grounds of ohh-la-laa-Boris-Jonhson-la-laa-…batoo…bateaux Corbyn…blaa..blaa…’
    – there are ‘streams’ for the stuff you are more interested in.

https://www.fip.fr/

DezB
    Free Member

bikebouy

Ariana Grande

Cardi B I’ve just discovered is damn good

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not new or all time but….. Couldn’t do that anyway it changes day-to-day!

colournoise

This year? Old but new. Ride. This Is Not A Safe Place or New Model Army. From Here.

All time? Always a toughie but I generally keep going back to Manic Street Preachers. The Holy Bible.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

May I also suggest syncing it with this video, muting the audio of course!

sturmeyarcher

Michael Kiwanuka’s new album is something very special.

Spotify

roger_mellie

On Spotify, try the ‘New Music Discovery’ playlist by ‘The Line of Best Fit’. Does what it says really. Updated weekly.  Usually top drawer new music by artists you might not have heard before. The beauty being that if you don’t like some, just skip ahead to the next track.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5359l8Co8qztllR0Mxk4Zv?si=UOm_lFXKTEC2ZMRMUX_-8w

They also do a rather good website: https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/

A regular feature is to get an artist or band to list 9 songs that inspired a seminal album.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Saw Kanga supporting Gary Numan last week. Can’t stop listening to her now. Not sure if it’s your thing but definitely worth checking out. Also Lorn. Very John Hopkins if you like that stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Help me find some new music’ is closed to new replies.