• This topic has 28 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Clink.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • HELP me find 'my' perfect 29er Hardtail Frame.
  • gerryberry
    Free Member

I want to build me a 29er Hardtail,and am looking a possible frames. BUT i do have a list of criteria, so here goes.

I need:

– Aluminium or Titanium (not steel)
    – 120mm forks
    – QR rear axle
    – Threaded BB (no PF30/BB30)
    – Tapered Steerer
    – Shortest chainstays as possible (FF29 looks good, but chainstays are quite long, no?)
    – As comfortable as possible, without being steel.

That’s my moon on a stick list. Any suggestions, or pics would be welcome. Thanks.

RoterStern
    Free Member

How much do you want to pay? Going the custom route would get all the things you want if you want a ti frame. Indy Fab or Seven for example if you have a lot of money to burn.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I’d go with kingdom bikes (custom). Schmiken of these parts has a very nice bike by them, rides well (from the ride around a pump track I had).

Enigma seem to make some lovely stuff.

Learn to weld?

Might struggle other than that.

brant
    Free Member

Is this not a £199 On One Parkwood?

tang
    Free Member

Custom I reckon. Titus offering via on one?

scotroutes

Get in touch with Justin Burls. I’ve just had a Ti frame off him, based on a standard spec but with a few tweeks. Great to deal with and relatively quick. Not overpriced like some either!

gerryberry
    Free Member

I don’t mind spending up to about £1500 if it’s Ti, or £5-600 if it’s alloy. All the frame i keep spotting are steel :o( I guess what would be perfect is a Ti Solaris…

singlespeedstu

What colour does it need to be?

Clink

Voodoo Bizango – but you will struggle to get frame only. Solaris doesn’t have short chainstays.

On-one Parkwood
    Voodoo Bizango
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Kona Taro (if you can get frame only)

gerryberry
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

What colour does it need to be?

I’m not a fussy person so anything (other that raw) :mrgreen:

gerryberry
    Free Member

Clink – Member

Voodoo Bizango – but you will struggle to get frame only.

I don’t think the Voodoo is tapered.

Clink

No – but with an external bottom cup it runs a tapered steerer fork. 😀

dantsw13

Tick(Ti), tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick!!!

[/url]Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

thv3
    Free Member

Your list sounded like my previous list, you’ve described the Titus Fireline Evo.
    I got one and love it B-)

gerryberry
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member

What is it?

ALSO, i’m not adverse to buying a complete bike, if the frame’s right 😉

singlespeedstu

Is that the sound the seatpost makes in the slightly baggy seat tube?

rewski
    Free Member

If you can be moved on the bb then I’d seriously look at the kinesis sync Ti

Clink

Is that the sound the seatpost makes in the slightly baggy seat tube?

😆

dantsw13

No baggy tube on the latest ones – the first batch had a few QC issues, so if buying S/H, that would be a possible issue.

Its a Titus Fireline Evo (Ti) from O-O. £799 I think frame only.

gerryberry
    Free Member

rewski – Member

If you can be moved on the bb then I’d seriously look at the kinesis sync Ti

I REALLY like the Sync, apart from the BB. Not to keen on the internal routing, but i can put up with that. But the PF30 BB, i’m not so sure. How are you finding it? I see that Chris King do a PF30 now, so i guess i could re think that.

weeksy

Titus Fireline or Yelli Screamy as above. Both perfect for your needs.

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve got an xt set up with a praxis works adapter, no issues so far, the bike is an absolute joy to ride, fun fast and comfortable enough for all day epics, the small is a 650b though. I’m running the large 29.

gerryberry
    Free Member

I’ve just spotted the Kona Taro. Seems ideal?

smurfly13
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Voodoo Bizango – instantly thought it when saw your wish list before other recommended.

Enough poking around Halfrauds you’d find a frame only I’m sure!!!

neil853
    Free Member

Honestly, my Titus Fireline Ti has been a complete revelation. I’m a trail rider, not an xc whippet, but i like descending climbing the works and my hardtail fireline is as good as anything I’ve ridden in my 23 years riding mtb so far. I was lucky, i got mine second hand off a lad off here for a good price but I’d have happily paid full price and still been over the moon.

my advice, test ride some bikes, if you’re near the NE you can happily ride mine for a bit. For what its worth that new on one which is the alu version of mine looks pretty awesome, same as the new Stanton sherpa looks pretty special they’re all of a similar ilk

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yelli Screamy…..best bike I have ever owned.Once I get bored with my Codeine I’ll be buying another one 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT let the PF30 BB put you off the Kinesis Sync.

I’ve waxed lyrical about how good it is before many times, people are probably sick of me talking about it on here now!

Anyway… The Praxis Works convertor BB is a very good solution to running a 24mm crank (should you want to), in a PF30 shell. Hope now do a PF30 solution (and adapters to fit different axles) too.

OP, where are you based? How tall are you? If you’re anywhere at all near me, and you’d need a medium sized bike, come and check mine out…

mboy
    Free Member

And as for the FF29… Chainstays are 445mm, which some may consider long these days (it’s still average for a 29er), but the bike is just so much fun! People put too much emphasis on ultra short stays on 29ers IMO. I think much shorter than about 440mm and you start to lose some of the inherent benefits of the larger wheel size myself.

Clink

I found that the FF29 climbed well and good fun in singletrack, but point it down anything steep and it lacked confidence a bit – certainly for a bike with 120mm forks.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘HELP me find 'my' perfect 29er Hardtail Frame.’ is closed to new replies.