Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • help me find a good steel frame
  • sonic
    Free Member

right, i’m looking for a nice xc/hybrid steel frame for 26″ wheels. looking for something cheap and light. yes, yes, i know – the feel of steel, but light weight and cheap = the holy grail. but just give me some suggestions. many thanks in advance,
    sonic.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Singular Hummingbird

cynic-al
    Free Member

with no idea of your definitions of light and cheap it’s difficult to say.

Personally I don’t think you have the “light steel” feel over say 4.25lb. Inbreds etc weight 4.75-5lb and will ride nice but not light.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

jaycmx1
    Free Member

COVE HANDJOB!

Haribo
    Free Member

P7 – IMO the best off the peg steel frame you can buy

aw
    Free Member

I am interested in this as I have decided to go for gears again after being only SS. I also want FS after being fully rigid.

My shortlist maybe something like this…

Scandal
    Handjob
    Hummer
    Cotic Soul
    Singular Hummingbird or Swift
    Kona Explosif

simon1975

Is the Hummingbird on sale yet?

The Scandal will be very different from the others I reckon. I don’t think that Kona make anything in steel any more, but my Unit is superb (same frame as Explosif). Soul will be good. The 853 Lobster is definitely worth a look.

clwydrider
    Free Member

Charge Duster could be built light. I’ve got mine built up fairly light and it feels great. 853 would be better though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

My unit is a tank but rides acceptably well – nothing at all special though, no idea why kona has the rep it has.

Any frame can be “built light”.

PJay
    Free Member

It also depends a lot on travel, I think that the P7 is designed to take around 140mm forks whilst I suspect that the Merlin one is nearer 100mm. I’m happy with my 853 Inbred (although you can’t get these any more) and a standard Inbred is certainly cheap (although not niche).

Merlin still have some good deals of 2008 Rocky Mountain Blizzard frames which look lovely and I’ve had my eye on an 853 Genesis Altitude 3.0 frame for a while (£350ish and 100-130mm I believe).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘help me find a good steel frame’ is closed to new replies.