Help me expand my rock and metal playlist

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Help me expand my rock and metal playlist
  • Massive bouncy Pagga?

Indeed….

johndoh

Royal Blood

Possibly the weirdest and most eclectic mixture of music from them – from hair metal to hip-hop dance.

johndoh

And thank you all, lots of new music added…

but more recently I have discovered bands such as LA Guns (very ‘Ratt’) and Megadeath

Understandable. Megadeath have only been around since 1983.

*Sniff*

I see no Pantera listed so far, or Corrosion of conformity.

Infidels.

johndoh

Understandable. Megadeath have only been around since 1983.

Yeah, some bands simply passed me by. In 1983 (I was 16) I had started to focus just on the bands I really loved (Ozzy, Motley Crue, Saxon etc) then suddenly realised girls and went all Howard Jones, Nick Kershaw, David Bowie, cut and highlighted my hair and spent my time trying to impress girl.

Premier Icon jamesoz
    Subscriber

White Zombie/Rob Zombie
    Stone Sour
    Monster Magnet
    Therapy
    Acid Reign

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Clutch and just get their entire back catalogue. Absolutely brilliant band and every album is different yet quintessentially Clutch. One of their more recent songs (Hot Bottom Feeder) is a recipe for crab cake. No other band could pull that off.

Highly Suspect and Idles if you want something from the last few years.

gauss1777

To pick any is to miss out on too much, but any excuse to post up some videos 😁

Premier Icon bowglie
    Subscriber

Oh yes, now this is what I call a proper thread😁 Pretty much every band I’d recommend has already been mentioned – has Sepultura already been mentioned?

If you like a bit of late 70’s stuff, Overkill by Motörhead is an absolute classic album. Remember going to see them live in ‘79 with a pal who was a Genesis prog fan – he was not impressed….I f***in’ loved it!

p.s. that Budgie vid brought back some memories😄

Premier Icon jamesoz
    Subscriber

Anthrax
    Queens of the Stone age

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Another few, Swedish Metal/Rock bands that were formed in the era you know so well.. and are still going strong. Suppose the moral of that story is good music is simply good music

Electric Boys… probably best if you search for the 90’s stuff then come right up to the current stuff..

Treat… Early stuff was excellent, then they went through the thashy phase but came out all rock n roll.. classy.

Europe… WOW now hold on!! Yeah buttttttt, they really are very good and the guitarist plays some sublime rock chord sequences.. listen out for them.

TNT… yeah! One of my early fave bands of that era, just loved the harmonies and drilled rhythm riffs.. worth checking out Tell No Tails and ignoring the very mediocre mixing..

Moving more stateside:

White Lion… obvz is obvz, awesome band… simply awesome. Thick rhythms, chunky riffs, searing leads, off beat 5ths, and Mike..

Ratt… My all time favourite Metal/Rock band of that era… I can recite all the words off Invasion of your Privacy (no, they don’t value it) Listen to Warren chunk out those riffs on Lay It Down.

Dokken.. Early to mid stuff before the fall out, George Lynch is one of the greatest unsung guitar players of that era… and the simple 4 piece structure certainly cranked out pure metal with sublime harmonies..

Great White… a few searing tracks, some great writing and more rock n roll than most could poke a g-string at.

and …

Tesla…. oh boy, did I wear out that tape of Mechanical Resonance… Modern Day Cowboy will be played at my funeral… a swan song if ever there was one to write.

One of their more recent songs (Hot Bottom Feeder) is a recipe for crab cake. No other band could pull that off.

No other band could appropriate mundane text and use as lyrics? Skeptical 🤨 (Just joking, I get it was hype/rhetoric)

Reminds me, Brit proggers Thumpermonkey took a 419-type Nigerian spam mail as the lyric and wrote an epic with it

d42dom

My two favourites at the moment are Parkway Drive and Lamb of God. Off to see Airborne in Cardiff next weekend not heard the new album yet though. Slipknot’s new album is good, got tickets for them in the new year too

Flussbarsch Panzer if you like a bit of eurometal

Premier Icon beej
    Subscriber

Seether, Shinedown.

Lots of great stuff already mentioned – I’ll +1 to Five Finger Death Punch, Rammstein, Alter Bridge.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Pixies. Maybe not the same vein but inspired a generation

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

The Wildhearts the intro is epic on this but theres sooo many

Nita nitro

Subscriber

Cant link s video…

Those damn crows are a good shout.

Wildhearts. Yes!
    Tesla. Yes!
    Europe. Again, yes! Some of their recent stuff is ace.

Premier Icon Elbows
    Subscriber

Jamesoz beat me to it with Acid Reign, North Yorkshire’s metal peak, Scarborough to Harrogate covered

Premier Icon jamesoz
    Subscriber

The new album is a bit of a cracker in my opinion. Saw them last time round and the reboot, great fun live.

mindmap3

Apologies for any repeats…

Architects
    At the Gates
    All That Remains
    Alter Bridge
    Boysetsfire
    Deftones (pre-White Pony)
    Jinjer
    Killswitch Engage
    A Day to Remember
    Arch Enemy
    As I Lay Dying (new album is a banger)
    Burn the Priest
    Lamb of God
    In Flames
    Clutch
    Devildriver
    Down
    Hatebreed
    Ignite
    Mudvayne
    Sepultura
    The Blueprint
    Earthtone 9
    Thrice
    White Zombie
    Tool
    Slipknot
    One Minute Silence
    Machine Head (not Catharsis which is a total turd)
    Life of Agony
    Vision of Disorder
    Earth Crisis
    Misfits
    Pennywise
    Korn

mindmap3

Loving this a lot at the mo…

Premier Icon llama
    Subscriber

Ooh there are some gems on here, loving the oh sees, mighty hawkwind, Motörhead.

Nobody’s said these guys, much under rated, lost within the cock rock

And, if we can have the oh sees, let’s have these guys, getting more metal as they go

Premier Icon llama
    Subscriber

Then, following on from the pixies suggestion, there is this

Was going to mention the WizardGizzardLizards but they are all over the place with genres. Not a bad thing in my book. From full on retrometal ie ‘Rattlesnake’, through prog and winsome pop rock, to the more Afro-Cuban rock/Santana-ish stuff, esp ‘The River’. As always – the best live recordings IMO are captured by the amazing engineers at KEXP. This is ace, in the hole and in the pocket:

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

This was pretty much how it was done BITD.. A fabulous rock n roll band, a stage, some really bloody random video sequence that made no sense whatsoever… yet, the music just blitzed it.

I posted above Tesla and Modern Day Cowboy, here’s the vid:

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

It seems one band has been missed off this massive list we’ve constructed… Yeah, can you guess who they are?

Well, spandex was their game, coke n hookers most certainly their aim, hairspray and bandanas their costume… but what a lot of people miss is they were exceptional songwriters, musicians of a genre where riffology meant chugging B-flats meant “muso” but these guys just made Rock sound like Rock.. They played from the heart, and were the Real Deal.

Motley Crue.. yeah I know right…

But Yeah, mega awesome…

Subscriber

Blind melon
    Live
    Smashing pumpkins

Mate theres just soooooo much.

It’s one of the reasons spotify is quite useful

Premier Icon llama
    Subscriber

but they are all over the place with genres

Covers band danger, but sometimes a copy is as good as, or better than, the original, as it in the nutty

Anyway, these guys rock

Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

Bloody love Dream Theater!

That’s it, I’m in the mood for listening to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence on the ‘loud’ headphones now, both discs back-to-back 😎

Oh and if you can find them on a streaming site try Kerbdog, thier On The Turn album is also heavily repeated in the car regularly.

Premier Icon si77
    Subscriber

Rage Against The Machine

Lacuna Coil

Subscriber

Pearl jam

Possibly the finest band still touring

Killing Joke never get enough mentions in metal threads. They are legends. Saw/heard ‘Extremities…’ live in Digbeth on launch – it was like a **** tsunami smacked to pieces by a hurricane. Best hard rock performance I’ve ever witnessed, bar none. Martin Atkins (PiL) was on drums. Three hours of precise destruction.

rascal

Gojira.
    Opeth – Bleak.
    Danzig – first 2 albums.
    Porcupine Tree – Deadwing.
    Senser – Stacked Up.
    Slayer – Reign in Blood.
    Deep Purple – best of!
    Testament – Practice What You Preach.
    Death Angel – Act III.
    Metallica – Puppets.
    Living Colour – Cult of Personality.

rascal

Forgot a few…

Anthrax – Sound of White Noise.
    At The Drive-In.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

And some Radio Birdman

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.