Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me decide what to buy dilemma
  • organic355
    Free Member

Right So I am going to buy something just need to decide what. My commuter road bike died on Monday to the point that its going to cost more to repair it than the bike is worth, and an amount of money I would rather put towards something new and shiny.

Currently commuting on my fairly high spec Giant XTC Carbon hardtail (SIDS, SRAM X.0, elixir CR, American classic wheels) which is not ideal from a wear and tear and also security point of view.

So the two bikes on my current wish list are:

1. On One dirty disco – for commuting duties & I fancy trying some CX on the local trails,
    2. Turner Flux – probably shifting all the bits over from my hard tail initially, or maybe a full build from scratch. (which would take a lot longer and a lot more money)

So Should I:

A. buy dirty disco now for commuting, keep my hardtail as is, save up for FLUX?
    B. buy some cheaper wheels, discs, cassette & slick tyres for my hardtail (which can be quickly swapped over for MTB duties), commute on that with the slicks, save up for a turner flux?
    C. Buy a cheap, £300 Halfrauds/carrera/second hand road bike which I dont mind trashing for commuting
    D. Other?

I am reluctant to throw money at something I dont really want. i.e cheap road bike and thinking long term I would like to have both the Dirty disco (or other CX bike) and the Turner. (probably selling the XTC). So what is the best way of going about this without winning the lottery? (and keeping the mrs happy!) – I can quite easily justify the CX bike for commuting a I use it every day, the full suss would take some explaining!

over to you, help me spend some money wisely.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cx will open up more riding possibilities and make a good road bike with slicks if you enjoy that.

Option D the most practical tho, would you be happy locking up a cx bike?

cp

How far is your commute? How often do you lock the bike in public places?

I wouldn’t (and don’t) spend much money on the commuter. It gets hammered, not cared for very often, winter grime builds up etc…). If i’d spent proper money on it, i’d be scared of riding it in all-weather commuting!

redfordrider
    Free Member

The Dirty Disco is too nice for commuting. Besides, it appears not to have the bosses required for mudguards and racks – I could be wrong and it might not matter to you. What about a Charge Filter, Cotic X or a Surly Cross Check? By a frame and use the part that you’ve already got.

sefton
    Free Member

dirty disco! will be good for roads and open up short cuts.

it will be low key unlike a FS bike.

it will be a hoot at the weekends

you can dip your toe into some cx events too!

I have a flux & a cx bike (the cx bike is the most fun for me – however its my new toy) don’t get me wrong the flux is great at what it does too.

I think most people would be surprised what a cx bike can handle. they also make even the blandest tracks great fun so fast!

sefton
    Free Member

how about this and swap some of your existing kit over?

http://www.singularcycles.com/gryphon.html

LenBuch
    Free Member

Check out
    http://crossjunkie.blogspot.com/
    Great blog and he has loads to say about the Dirty Disco – his top bike.

organic355
    Free Member

sorry should have said when I commute Ive got one of those bike-away lockers so fairly secure.

Not too fussed about racks for my commuter as I use a rucksack, the mudguards is more of an issue, but I was thinking there would be nothing stopping you running a set of CRUDS on a dirty disco? Hoping they CRUD may bring out some CX/Disc compatible guards like the road racers, or maybe Mucky nutz will come up with something for Disc/CX bikes.

other option for the CX I was looking at was the kinesis pro6, but I am impatient, and really need a commuter ASAP. Agreed though the Dirty disco is almost too nice to use as a commuter.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Whyte’s Charing Cross look nice. Specialized have a range of Tricross with disc as well. I’ve got a 2010 Tricross Comp – great bike, lot of fun. Mrs R has the top of the range 2012 Tricross and likes it a lot.

organic355
    Free Member

Charge Filter looks OK, but i want discs

Cotic X is an option, not keen on the “look” of the Surly Cross Check.

all good options though, but not much cheaper than the Dirty Disco.

organic355
    Free Member

oh, and also, the Turner wasnt going to be for commuting, go no!, it was to replace my hardtail for some XC action.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide what to buy dilemma’ is closed to new replies.