Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help me decide on a 35L Rucksack please
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m looking for something for a few hours up Snowdonia, Lake District peaks, longish days out all year round. All the rucksacks I’ve ever had – the zips have broke. So nothing with crappy zips! I’m after something medium sizeish 30-40 ltr capacity. Maybe future use with Ice axe and to stash crampons with compression straps?. I’m looking to spend around £80. Got my eye on Osprey Talon 33 or 44 and Berghaus Freeflow 30+6. I’m borrowing a berghaus freeflow 35+8 at the mo and too big for my needs/liking. The Montane Medusa 32 looks about right n all. I’m not bothered about loads of pockets everywhere and straps hanging about all over. Something simple and tidy. What do you lot think? any deals out there? cheers.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’ve got a great 25+6 with a neat mesh back that mitigates sweating. Has ice axe and walking pole loops, the +6 is in the form of two pockets that are neatly zipped away when not in use. The pack has an upper and lower zip for easier access and a rain hood that stows in a zipped pocket on the bottom. There are mesh side pockets for drinks and stuff and the top flap has a zipped pocket. I will look up what make and let you know if interested.

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah cheers, that’s the sort of thing spongebob, what’ve you got? I think I’d want it big enough to stash/squash a coat in though, so a bit bigger maybe. But not so big it restricts your movement or gets in the way of your head and neck like the one I’m borrowing.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Try the Stratos instead of the Talon.
    I’ve got the 26l and the 36l versions. The 36 is comfier than the 36 for walking and above the Talon, (which a mate of mine bought for the 3 Peaks Challenge), it has a wire frame that holds the main pack away from your back, making it much cooler and in my opinion, comfier too. Top loading AND zipped access to the front make it really practical too. The best pack I’ve ever owned.

peteimpreza

I have a Deuter Alpine for the type of rides you suggest.

Excellent quality and very comfortable to wear. Highly recommended.

piemonster

Go-lites might be worth a look

Some like ’em some don’t

stumpy01

Have a look at the Vaude range. I’ve got one of their bags for riding and really like it.

Helios
    Free Member

I’ve got an Osprey Talon 33. Can’t recommend it highly enough, well made, not restrictive, good harness, adjustable back, comfy while riding too. Only problem I have is if I overstuff it then (like most bags without a frame) it rounds out over your spine and can feel a bit unbalanced. Not usually a problem though as it’s pretty roomy and so I rarely carry enough junk around to overstuff it!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Kev – I guess you’re wanting it for day hikes? 40l would probably be too big for that, even with winter kit. So I’d suggest you get one closer to 30l and minimise the kit you carry (ie wrap food etc in clingfilm rather that bulky plastic containers). Amongst folks in my mountaineering club (who are doing the same stuff as you in Snowdonia) the osprey brand has an excellent reputation. I’ve got a 25l montane one, which I’ve had for several years and used a lot, which is superb. Trail magazine has also just recommended the 32l montane as a day sack.

AngusWells

If you are prepared to spend a bit less (and who isn’t?), have a look at the Forclaz 37 Ultralight on the Decathlon Website. It seems to meet your requirements. I don’t understand why it is called the 37 and then says it’s 36 litres but, hey, let’s not quibble.

ElShalimo

I have an Osprey Talon 33.
    It’s a fantastic all round lightweight bag for hill walking, scrambling, climbing etc
    Helios has already said this but its a bit of a tardis so you find yourself stuffing it to the gills. It’s very big for a 33L bag but when only half full it compresses down well with all the adjustment straps.
    I’ve used mine as a travel bag, winter hillwalking, via ferrata, hut-to-hut in Spain etc etc. The exterior pockets are really well designed too

It’s over 3 years old now and has been used an awful lot! It isn’t in perfect condition any more but it really has been excellent, it’s so good you’ll be using it for everything.
    If you want it for MTBing 90% off the time I suggest get the 22L version as 33L is probably far too much

AngusWells
    ElShalimo

Oh and ignore TRAIL magazine reviews, it’s a comic not a serious outdoor magazine.
    They have a set of brands that they favour (maybe related to advertising revenues?) but they ignore all other brands eg Mountain Equipment always win best waterproof in every category every year blah blah blah
    I subscribed to it for years until I realised what a festering pile of shite it was. It’s like many bike mags in that regard

ElShalimo

Kevevs – try before you buy with some weight in it. It’s the little things that will put you off it like thin shoulder straps that dig in if you have a heavy load. Also if you’re above or below average height be prepared for disappointment as many daysacs come in 1 back length and don’t suit everyone
    If you have freakish proportions there’s a company in Staveley called Aiguille Alpine that will make a rucsac to your dimensions, they also sell their rucsacs in different back lengths

Kevevs
    Free Member

thanks for all the info 🙂 I’m Mr.Average 5ft 9. I’ll have a mooch round the outdoor shops in Betws this afternoon n see what they’ve got. probs going for an Osprey or Montane. Happy hiking!

Duane…
    Free Member

Also interested in this thread as I’m looking for something similar, although I’d want to use it as hand luggage on flights, and hopefully spend a little less than Kev (so that Decathlon one looks quite good)

footflaps

+1 for Decathlon rucksacks – I’ve got one and very impressed by it.

Can’t recall what model it is, but 35l, very light and comfy. Use it biking, climbing and skiing.

Ben by brf, on Flickr

djtom
    Free Member

OMM Jirishanca – excellent, lightweight, comfy, versatile strapping system for hanging gear off and seems to be very tough.

I bought one last year and wore it pretty much non-stop in a 5 day adventure race across Scotland. Have since biked with it, run with it, done the OMM with it and used it for camping trips. Can’t fault it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

hmm. I knew asking on here would just get me more confused!..

garethcolins89
    Free Member

I’ve got a Freeflow, personally i dont like it, was sucked in by the half price deal but regret buying it, not enough adjust-ability and really affects your weight distribution when climbing/scarambling as the rucksack’s c.o.g. is quite far away from your bodys’ c.o.g.
    i’ve heard good things about deuter though many of my friends use them.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Anyone used the wingnut hyper? Looks a solid bit of kit

somouk
    Free Member

I use a Karrimor rucksack normally but it has a solid plastic back vent system which limits fitting things in.

My girlfriend uses a Decathlon rucksack and it’s been excellent.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Got an Osprey Talon 33 in the end in funky Cayenne orange. Choice between that or the 26L stratos. which I’m a bit unsure that I should’ve got instead. Ah well.

Although the Talon 33 is for day hikes up the mountains, I thought I’d give it a test run on the singlespeed to Tescos on a beer run. Held up well so far, got 4 bottles of Hobgoblin, a Cottage pie, a reduced pack of tuna fillets, 2 pints of milk and some bread in there. It’s pretty damn comfy for what I’m used to (cheap and crap). Happy consumer here so far..

ElShalimo

I reckon that’s a good initial test of it’s load carrying behaviour
    Enjoy

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide on a 35L Rucksack please’ is closed to new replies.