Help me choose where to ride in South Wales
I rode along the coast to Ogmore, that was really nice. I came back by A-road though, and that wasn’t nice at all, so don’t do that.
Oh, did you mean offroad? You could get up to Mach – bit of a drive I know, but in your Pious* it won’t cost much.
*sorry, Prious 🙂Posted 4 years agokeppochMember
If you are going to Mynydd Mallaen be careful on navigation. I am normally the map reader but I got pretty lost at a point.
Having said that I would think the weather is good for the ride as it was very boggy when I went there.
I did a ride starting at Talgarth, around Llangorse, about a month ago, it suffered as it was wet but should be great now so long as the bracken has not gone too wild. Quite a drive from Cardiff though.Posted 4 years ago
Karin – it’s more about time than cost. More driving = less riding. Kids are away for the weekend so I need to have fun times with Mrs Grips too 🙂
Talgarth.. yeah that’d be the classic option.. Black Mountains epic.
No planned route for option 1 yet. That’s part of the problem. Hard to pick a route through the valleys – I used to do it when I was younger, but I was on a fully rigid flat barred bike which ate up roads a lot better than my FSers do now. And I was single so I could spend each weekend exploring and finding out what was good. I’ve either forgotten all those routes now or I expect better singletrack and more fun trails.Posted 4 years agokeppochMember
I don’t think the Talgarth/Llangorse route is the same as the ‘Killer Loop’ or ‘Black Mountains Epic’ that I have ridden and heard reference to in the past but it may well be, I have sent a gpx to what I think is your e-mail so that you can check.
I agree the Gower option is not a good one, loads of people will be heading that way for the beaches.
Have a good ride wherever you go!Posted 4 years ago
I know this is lame, but please humour me.
I’ve got the whole day tomorrow to ride, I’m in Cardiff. So:
1) Big loop from my house, heading up towards the valleys, 5-6 hour ride. Route planning is quite hard and would involve new trails probably and hence route planning and exploration
2) Drive to Afan – been there loads, bit dull mostly. Unless there’s anything new in the last 3-4 years?
3) Drive to Brechfa – further, 3 hours lost to driving, but I’ve only been there once, that was just after the red was finished. What’s new, and is there a whole day’s worth there?
4) Drive to the Beacons and do something classic
5) Drive further up to Mid Wales and get the maps out again.
If anyone’s got a decent long tracklog to share, that’d be appreciated.Posted 4 years ago
The topic ‘Help me choose where to ride in South Wales’ is closed to new replies.