Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Help me choose some sunglasses…
  • stumpy01

No. I don’t drive an Alfa & don’t really want to look like a suave Casanova cruising along the Mediterranean coast, but my Mum & Dad have given me some money for Christmas to put towards some new sunglasses.

I’ve currently got some of these, although they are branded as Tog24, rather than Bloc. I think they suit my face, but am happy to try something a bit different.

https://www.premiumoptics.co.uk/shop/bloc-sunglasses-3015/bloc-billy-sunglasses-matte-gunmetal-f190n/
    Bloc Billy

Budget probably up to about £100.

It’s not so much particular pairs of glasses that I am after (although would welcome suggestions) but more some brands that I should look at. I can only really think of a few – Oakley, Bolle, Bloc, Rayban (don’t really like) and Arnette.
    Whenever people ask about glasses on here, there are tons of recommendations of names I’ve never heard of so it would be great to have some of those!

Ta in advance….

schmiken

Maui Jim?

DezB
    Free Member

Smith?
    I had some nice ones, lost them at a rugby tournament. Got some replacements the same and I crashed in em and scratched the lens. So now I only buy cheap from Rocking Goose. Don’t find the cheap polarised lenses are any worse tbh.

aP
    Free Member

Mykita?

bearnecessities

Maui Jim are great.

If they’re of interest/would suit your mush, I have a pair of Oakley Holbrook Rs in tortoise that I have never worn – still got stickers on the lenses.

I’d happily let them go for a wedge lower than market price (whatever that is) to put towards the new kitchen fund, as they’re never going to be used and I CBA with eBay.

https://www.tallingtonlakesproshop.com/oakley-holbrook-r-matte-dark-tortoise-brown-prizm-tungsten-polarized-sunglasses.ir

maccruiskeen

I have to say…… as someone who has worn Bloc Billy Glasses exclusivity for over ten years… I wear them because very little else fits me / are comfortable to wear all day/ suits me.

nothing else Bloc makes fits me properly so buying by brand isn’t really a guide for fit. The only other sunnies that fit me well are large versions Adidas Evil Eyes

with that in mind you might be better going somewhere to try plenty of options rather than focusing on a brand.

martymac

I usually wear oakleys.
    But i have bought fake oakleys from ebay, which, imho, gave about 80% of the performance for around 10% of the price of the real thing.
    So I’d say price is no guarantee of performance.
    Even cheap lenses have to meet a level of protection before they can get sold in the uk.
    Fit matters, try loads on to be certain they are right for you.

brads
    Free Member

Rayban Aviators. They really are that good.

Gold frame , green lens obv.

maccruiskeen

But i have bought fake oakleys from ebay,

Even cheap lenses have to meet a level of protection before they can get sold in the uk.

You’re trusting that vendors of counterfeit goods can be relied on to sell goods that meet relevant safety standards? Those counterfeiters must have hearts of gold 🙂

CountZero

You’re trusting that vendors of counterfeit goods can be relied on to sell goods that meet relevant safety standards?

While optical accuracy may be suspect, any polycarbonate lens will block UV light, just by the nature of the material.
    Having lenses that distort what you’re looking at while wearing does introduce a whole other set of issues, though.

wildfires3

I’m a massive Oakley fan but since Luxotica bought them out the quality is crap.

I usually ride in a pair of Half Jackets from 2000. 20 years and the lenses have a few scratches. They’ve been hammered round the world, dropped, stepped on etc.

Got someone to make up some custom Prizm Trail lenses for them.

Scratched and generally very inferior.

Maui Jim are the way forward for non-bikey glasses.

Amazing clarity and quality.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Maui Jim , or Smith…

Though I’d sell my soul for a pair of 1970s Carl Zeiss I lost waterskiing. I just forgot I had them on…

brads
    Free Member

Ooooh I forgot I also have a pair of Persol folding glasses (think Steve McQueen but on someone much less cool)

They are very nice.

DezB
    Free Member

Having lenses that distort what you’re looking at while wearing does introduce a whole other set of issues, though.

What issues? I always read about this distortion nonsense! Unless you’re performing micro-surgery in your shades, what problem does this supposed distortion cause?
    Oh, and,what happens if you get a bit of dirt, sweat or rain on the perfecto non-distortion type?

stumpy01

Thanks for the suggestions.

Interesting information about Oakley – I have to say I have never seen many of their styles that I like, but they often seem to be the go-to suggestion when it comes to sunglasses.
    Thanks for the offer bearnecessities, but I don;t think those glasses would suit me. Too suave for me 🙂

maccruiskeen – yeah, trying on would be preferable but getting out to try things on is not really possible at the mo. I was hoping to buy online, but perhaps it wouldn’t be such a great idea.

brads

I had a bad experience with some Rayban Predators years ago, which put me off Rayban as a company to be honest.

I will take a look at Smith, Maui Jim & Mykita (don’t they do power tools?).

sani2c
    Free Member

There is company Edel Optics which has a funky thing on their website where can can get glasses transposed onto your picture. Was useful…

And RXsport were brilliant when it came to actually buying a pair on line.

burko73

I think the thing is with casual glasses is to get some that are a classic look/ colour that have d3cent glass lenses, polarised if poss. Glass lenses last longer and don’t scratch anything like the plastic coated lenses you get in oakleys etc, I’ve had oakleys that I’ve been fastidious with putting them in their case etc and they’ve scratched whilst I’ve had Costa glasses and ray bans that I’ve not bother Ed to use the cases much as the lenses are bullet proof.

Go with a classic shape tha5 suits you a d makes you look like a grown up!

sprootlet
    Free Member

rx sports are really helpful, gave me great advice with buying ski goggles.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I would have thought most people here would recommend RayBan Aviators to go with their bootcut jeans from gap.  When does Top Gear start again?

muttley109
    Free Member

I used to buy Oakley sunglasses but have moved to Sungod’s now as they are cheaper and the quality feels better.

Also, they have a great lifetime guarantee. Last year when I sat on mine I sent them back and they returned them with a brand new frame free of charge.

https://www.sungod.co/

prettygreenparrot

#1 child needed some new sunglasses a couple of years back. To replace some too-small Raybans. Thought about Randolph aviators. Ended up getting American Optical with a brown polarised lens. Both carried by flightstore U.K.  They’re very similar. Both have glass lenses – super clear but heavy and breakable. Plastic lenses are available as originals or from thesunglassfix.

can’t recall the price but likely pricey though they’re very neat and not as far as I know part of the giant lux conglomerate that owns nearly every other brand.

I like Maui Jims. They’re neat

I wear old oakleys or Julbo sunglasses.

mattyfez

Gold frame , green lens obv.

I love my aviators, mine are gold frame with graduated brown to clear lense for the south american cartel boss look 😀

Futureboy77

I much prefer Wayfarers to Aviators.

I bought a pair of Frogskins Lite on a whim from Oakley. Must admit I really like them. First pair of Oakley’s I’ve bought in years.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I really rate O’Neill polarised glasses. Loads of styles available at really good prices on eBay.

So much so I’ve sold all the Oakleys I owned.

TheGingerOne

Goodr glasses are highly recommended by my wife. They have very good lenses and a fair few styles whilst being very good value for money.

swdan
    Free Member

I always used to say Oakley but like some people above have noticed the quality slipping a bit imo. The lenses just seem to get damaged more easily and if they have an iridium coating it starts to come off. This is from someone who looks after their sunglasses pretty well. Warranty from Oakley has been very good, have had news lenses for one paid after the coating came off and recently and brand new pair of replacement glasses when they didn’t have lenses in stock for the same reason (different pair to the original warranty return).

However, for an everyday pair I’ve gone for Tifosi.

grum
    Free Member

Another vote for sungod here. Their cycling glasses are really good too, I’ve had some for years.

stumpy01

Fantastic! Some great suggestions to trawl through and a lot of names I haven’t heard of! Although it did cross my mind that the money would almost cover a Brand-X dropper post 😀😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to buy Oakley sunglasses but have moved to Sungod’s now as they are cheaper and the quality feels better.

This could have been typed by me!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose some sunglasses…’ is closed to new replies.