Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Help me choose my new gravel bike
  • jugheaddave
    Free Member

Hi Friends

As mentioned above, I have narrowed my choice down to two bikes.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMSLRIV1/planet-x-full-monty-sl-sram-rival-1-hydraulic-disc-gravel-road-bike

I would pay the extra £150 quid for the fulcrum 700 wheels or £200 for the Fulcrum Racing 600 wheels??

or this

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/sonder-camino-al-sram-rival1-hydraulic-V2

Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

thanks

siwhite
    Free Member

I’d buy the Sonder for ease of spec changes and customer support.

I bought a Ti Camino and Neil was entirely open to spec changes and the price changed accordingly – I didn’t want wheels, saddle or seatpost as I’d already sourced upgrades, so a mostly-built frame arrived and I fitted my trick bits on. The Alpkit wheels aren’t the lightest in the world, so perhaps skip those and buy something better instead? Hunts are very well regarded if you can stretch…

essexbiker
    Free Member

Have you looked at the GT Grade? I have a105 spec version and swapped to lighter wheels and it’s a very comfortable mile muncher.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Thanks, I actually like the look of the GT, but they seem hard to find online.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Take a look at the Genesis fugio… very versatile great spec and very similar to the full monty but without the terrible px customer service.

rOcKeTdOg

been riding a trek checkpoint alr for the past two weeks, on road, fireroad, towpath & singletrack I usually ride a trail mtb on. it’s really good fun, I’m a bit amazed how good actually, feels really comfortable and stable off road and goes fast enough on. fitted 700×42 tyres set up tubeless & it’s fab.

parkesie
    Free Member

My interest has been peaked by the Nukeproof digger

BoardinBob

My interest has been peaked by the Nukeproof digger

Good luck finding one. Rarer than rocking horse excrement. I fancied one but went for a Whyte Glencoe instead. Fantastic so far.

parkesie
    Free Member

If the Glencoe had full hydros it would be perfect for me.

BoardinBob

If the Glencoe had full hydros it would be perfect for me.

The TRP hybrid things are ridiculously powerful

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’ve trp hy/rd brakes on my Salsa Vaya as above they are ridiculously good and easy maintenance with cable actuation. I’ve changed the pads from the trp offering which makes such a difference

tpbiker
    Free Member

Looking at that link to gravel bikes, I see at least 2 have dropper posts. Does anyone actually want or need a dropper on a gravel bike? I’d have thought the limitations of the bike would expire long before I ever required to drop the saddle

Kryton57

Have a look at the Bergamont bikes.  They are owned by Scott. Westcott cycles have discounted bikes.  I paid £980 for Tiagra with hydros and the bike rides and feels great.

swanny853

As a long term hy:rd user (back when the only hydros came with di2 or no gears) I would pretty much always find the extra for ‘proper’ hydraulics. There’s nothing wrong with Hy:RDS, mine have been reliable and entirely functional, but full Shimano or SRAM brakes are just much, much better. It’s a much cheaper upgrade as part of a full bike than aftermarket usually too!

tpbiker
    Free Member

. It’s a much cheaper upgrade as part of a full bike than aftermarket usually too

Very much this. I looked at upgrading to hydros from cable and the cost meant it made more sense to wait until the rest of the groupset had worn out and replace entirely. Not that I particularly merit hydrolic brakes on the gravel bike, so over 300 quid couldn’t be justified.

Ended up getting some spyres perfectly adequate, but compared to the brakes on my mtbs distinctly lacking in power. If you just plan to use it for gravel paths I’d probably not bother, but if its going to spend a fair portion of its time off road going down hill I’d be making them a priority

mariner
    Free Member

My Fargo came with Juin R1 cable /hydro calipers. Wasn’t that impressed until I started twiddling adjusters and found they could be set up really effectively.

The only problems seem to be howling like banshees in the wet and pad wear.

Both these can be cured by upgrading the pads.

jonnyboi

As an ex TRP spyre, TRP HYD user a heartily agree that full hydros are the only way to go

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have the nuke proof digger. It’s my first gravel/ CX bike so I don’t have much to compare it to but it’s a lot of fun and copes well being off road.

This is a 650 b bike with 40mm tyres I’m surprised how much grip they give without being too draggy

for sure it’s no where near as quick as a carbon road bike on tarmac but it’s way quicker than my 29er hardtail. I think being able to get on the drops and out of the wind is the big difference.

Mines got sram hydraulic brakes. They seem pretty good and the 1×11 is simple with a pretty good spread.

rOcKeTdOg

Looking at that link to gravel bikes, I see at least 2 have dropper posts. Does anyone actually want or need a dropper on a gravel bike?

I’d like one on mine, i’d be much faster on loose surface downhills if i had clearance to let the bike do its own thing. I’d also take much bigger drops on it than i do at the moment. being on the drops for technical descents (for what is a road bike essentially) makes you want that saddle down and out of the way without the faff of dropping and then raising the saddle but make the trail flow better, almost the same as on an mtb 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

kryton could you post a link to the shop / bike.

My quick Google shows Westbrook selling them at 1350 for carbon / tiagra.  looks nice

BoardinBob

Interested to hear why full hydros are better than the TRP hybrids. I was blasting down a road at 40 mph last week and they stopped me, a big unit, with ease at the bottom. How/why are full hydros better?

Maybe be for full long alpine descents I could maybe see why but for UK “gravel” riding I can’t see why full hydros would be necessary given the performance I’m getting from the TRP setup.

is it a maintenance thing rather than performance?

legometeorology
    Free Member

I’d say a dropper is well worth it on a gravel bike for anything remotely sketchy at speed.

kerley
    Free Member

People who need full hydros and dropper posts are doing some strange gravel riding.

rOcKeTdOg

People who need full hydros and dropper posts are doing some strange gravel riding.

proper gravel riding you mean

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

http://[url=https://postimages.org/]free image uploader[/url]I took mine here at the weekend

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose my new gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.