Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me choose between 2 laptops
  • exilegeordie
    Free Member

I’m going to need a new laptop for my new business venture, and have narrowed the list down to two. My decision has been based on real-world recommendations from friends and colleagues, plus of course, spec.

In the red corner we have the HP G6 2103sa (full specs can be seen here (linky).

In the blue corner is the Acer 5750.

I should point out that with a generous work-related discount, the HP can be had for 20% off the list price, bringing it in to direct competition with the Acer.

It’ll prodominantly be used for; basic Office-y type stuff, email, browing the t’internet, Skype and video streaming. I’d like something that has a decent battery life, though this isn’t a deal breaker as it’ll be plugged in for the majority of the time.

I like the idea of the 2 year warranty on the HP, but don’t really know how either of these stack up regarding dependability. As mentioned, this will be a business laptop and as such, needs to be as trouble-free as possible (it’ll be the only one I have). I don’t know much about AMD processors either, so if anyone can shed light on how this one stacks up against the i5, I’d be all ears.
    Cheers,

Andy

exilegeordie
    Free Member

I should add, the dedicated graphics card on the HP appeals as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id buy the HP based purely on the fact that we have had 4 HP computers in our house since 1998 and 1 acer.

the HPs last years , the acer struggled with A year ….. back on an HP now

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Cheers trail_rat…Mrs Geordie’s had an HP for the last 2 years or so, and it hasn’t missed a beat.

pipnet1
    Free Member

I’ve never had much of an issue with Acer stuff. Though when, after 4 years, my netbook did die it did it in quite a fashion.

From the specs listed there the HP wins hands down IMO

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve had an acer for over 2 years without any issue, so I’ve just got another (5349 – £300 from Sainsburys). Basic office tasks and remote working over the net and it’s been faultless.
    Never had a HP so can’t comment on those.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks guys – and thanks for the review of the respective specs pipnet1.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A 1080P screen would be nicer for business use…

Business HP stuff is normally good, consumer HP isn’t so hot I believe.

pingu66
    Free Member

I had an Acer once, broke within 3 months, repaired under warranty I hear you ask. Ha ha no way cost me £70 can’t recall the details but it was some BS they came up with and wouldn’t return it till I paid.

So service is crap.

Go for the HP or I would say any brand but Acer!

exilegeordie
    Free Member

HP purchased – thanks for all your inputs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose between 2 laptops’ is closed to new replies.