Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Help me choose a Pertex (or other windproof) jacket…
  • poppa
    Free Member

After trying on a ‘proper’ softshell (Gore Phantom) and expensive ‘active’ windstopper (Gore Contest) I decided that

A) A ‘proper’ softshell was going to be way too warm for commuting to work in (I run hot and cycle in my work clothes)
    B) Expensive breathable windstoppers don’t seem to be a whole lot different to Pertex (feel free to correct me on that – do they need less waterproofing?)

So I have come full circle and started looking at Pertex again…

So, can anyone recommend a Pertex (or similar) jacket for use as a windproof outer layer with, ideally, minimal insulating properties?

Ideally it should have:

-Mesh lining (at least on the sleeves)
    -Available in hi-viz yellow (will be used for commuting in the dark)
    -Be reasonably robust/not be paper thin
    -Pit-zips would be a Brucie bonus but don’t seem to be that common.

In the past I have used an Endura Rebound (great, robust, no longer made) and a Montane Featherlite (looked nice until the colour faded, flimsier than the Rebound and stitching burst). Neither of these had mesh liners, but I think this would help when wearing next to bare skin in mild weather.

All help greatly appreciated!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I still reckon the Buffalo Windshirt is one of the best. It may lack style but makes up for it in terms of venting. Sleeves can be pulled up to the elbows or cinced tight to the wrist and pit zips go all the way to the waist with a velcro tab to hold the front & back together when unzipped. Not too flappy and has a dropped rear. Only downside is the zip is a bit short and it’s not lined. chest pocket huge too-easily takes a map.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a guide version of the Rab vapour rise jacket and initial impressions look good.

This is the general version which I also tried. The hoods are a lovely fit.

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/mens-clothing-vapour-rise/-vapour-rise-jacket.html

MoreCashThanDash

I’m a bit confused whether you want a windproof or a waterproof, but in the time honoured method of recommending what I have just bought, I replaced my 20 year old pertex with a Howies Dyfi when they were cheap on Wiggle.

Windproof, not claimed to be waterproof but holds up in light drizzle and showers, full length zip for ventilation, not too hot, not hiviz but the orange is bright enough and I commute with lights all year anyway.

MSP

From what you describe, I suspect that something like an endura robaix jersey.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/en/endura-roubaix-jacket/rp-prod80223

With a windproof gilete (maybe something with a bit of mesh back) that you can stick in the rear pocket would be better suited.

medoramas
    Free Member

When it’s windy I normally ride in this my jacket

The other day I went for a ride in my Karrimor Elite Pertex jacket. It’s a really lightweight piece of kit. The temperature was about 4° (it was a late night ride), it was dry but windy. Blimey, after about 20 minutes I could feel my jersey under being soaking wet… Is Pertex such a low-performer in terms of breathability?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Montane Pertex here. Bloody brilliant bit of kit. I started wearing Pertex for commuting as, even though it isn’t waterproof, it keeps the wind off.

Got a Howies Dyfi too, but for the money I’d personally go for genuine Pertex.

MSP

Is Pertex such a low-performer in terms of breathability?

Yep, it’s real advantage is being packable, it’s good for the first 10 mins of a ride while you warm up or to be put on for long descents, but pretty useless as a garment to be kept on for a whole ride IMO, especially for anyone who sweats.

poppa
    Free Member

So is Goretex wind-stopper better than pertex for breathability? I’m getting very confused by all this now. I always thought pertex was OK for breathability.

MSP

As someone who runs hot I find neither particularly breathable. Roubaix fabrics are just the best solution for cycling IMO, but for some reason are currently less fashionable than “softshell”

rene59
    Free Member

Not sure what you’re looking for exists, have never seen it anyway. Take a look at the Keela Neutronic Smock, it is Pertex like in that it is very packable and lightweight and reasonably tough and breathable. Doesn’t have a mesh liner or pit zips though but is available in yellow.

http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/300/s/neutronic-smock-jacket/category/17/

poppa
    Free Member

Hmm. Looks like the only windproof, thin shells with mesh liners that I can find are made by Gore, which means expensive. I tried the Contest AS on at lunchtime today which was OK, but the front hem was cut very high. I wasn’t bowled over in comparison to my previous, relatively cheap, pertex shells, but it was nicely made. I just balk slightly at paying lots of money for something so thin and insubstantial!

ontor
    Free Member

buffalo windshirt.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Marmot nanowick?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Blimey, after about 20 minutes I could feel my jersey under being soaking wet… Is Pertex such a low-performer in terms of breathability?

Eh? I’ve always found it to be very good. Certainly when compared to heavier Gore-Tex jackets.

If it’s keeping the wind off you, then surely it’s doing its job. Bear in mind that moving air helps transport moisture. The Montane, mentioned above, also has rear vents which may help. Certainly I’ve never had a problem overheating in it, but then I also only tend to wear it when it’s cold or damp (or both), and stick with a windproof gilet otherwise.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Blimey, after about 20 minutes I could feel my jersey under being soaking wet… Is Pertex such a low-performer in terms of breathability?

Hmm, this isn’t my experience of Pertex at all! Streets ahead of membranes like Windstopper IME.
    Although I’ve also just got a Howies Dyfi and that’s pretty good too.

Re the mesh lining- I think waterproofs/windstoppers have those to make it more comfortable when there’s a lot of moisture inside and disperse it rather than having an inner with actual water on it. So I suppose the idea is that it’s not needed for more breathable stuff.

ElShalimo

Look at Keela Lynx
    Its a thin softshell with lots of zips for ventilation

imn

Have you looked at Paramo Bora or Fuera? I know the Fuera fit is big and boxy, but may suit. They don’t come in hi-vis colours, but you could remedy that with adhesive patches or arm bands etc if necessary.

SimonR

+1 for the Howies Dyfi – got an orange one and although it’s not hi-viz it’s still pretty visible. The mesh down the sides and under the arms help with breathability too.

aP
    Free Member

I just use a rapha windjacket. Works for me 😉

poppa
    Free Member

Re the mesh lining- I think waterproofs/windstoppers have those to make it more comfortable when there’s a lot of moisture inside and disperse it rather than having an inner with actual water on it. So I suppose the idea is that it’s not needed for more breathable stuff.

Personally I find that if I have a jacket in contact with bare skin (i.e. a short sleeve jersey), then sweat can make the jacket stick and seem more clammy. I think a mesh would help with this. I also feel that keeping the membrane apart from from skin helps avoid water ingress, though this may be speculative b*ll*cks on my part.

boblo
    Free Member

The mesh is there to protect the coating and help with moisture management on 2 layer fabrics. It’s a bonus that it feels nice. 3 layer fabrics don’t need the protection or moisture management so don’t have it. Pertex is a lightweight shower/windproof and is really designed to be worn over a base layer which stops the clammy feel.

I swear by Pertex even when I wear windstopper I carry a Pertex for the post cake stop warm up.

Sui
    Free Member

Teclite Shirt

i’ve got a mountain shirt for when it’s uber cold, but the teclite is bloody good, the wicking on it keeps you warm when the wind is up. I run hot too, and there is nothing that will keep sweat off other than wicking..

vincienup
    Free Member

Marmot Alpine Stretch, being what I just bought, and therefore in the finest tradition of STW.

So far it’s biggest test has been a half day hammer round Guisborough woods and surrounding although it’s been out night riding with me a few times too. It seems to pull off breathing, wind blocking and moisture blocking in a pretty good balance to me. I went a size up and it’s perfect for bike fit.

nedrapier

I’ve got a Rab Vapour Rise jacket with the tricot lining. It’s too warm for biking unless it’s very cold or you’re really pootling.

The guide version mentioned above is even more insulated.

I’ve also got the Rab Alpine jacket which is the same, but unlined, just a pertex equilibrium windshirt with a wired hood. hood can be rolled up andclipped out of the way. I like it. But of a relaxed fit for biking, but as i’m not racing, I’m going to carry on wearing it. Can always put a skinnier cut gilet over the top, and I sometimes do.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a Pertex (or other windproof) jacket…’ is closed to new replies.