Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Help me choose a new watch
  • Flaperon

After depressingly losing my much-loved Seiko Flightmaster watch on holiday (travel insurance won't pay out), I'm shopping for a replacement. I used to have one of these:

I can replace it with an identical one from eBay, or spend roughly the same amount on the high street for a Citizen Eco-Drive. (Yeah, I know it's Argos and H Samuel!)

Or

Disadvantage of the eBay one is that it has to come from Hong Kong, although in all fairness it only took 3 days when I bought the old one four years ago.

Alternative suggestions welcome!

carbon337
    Free Member

i have the eco-drive argos one. Its fine, heavy and sturdy and looks more £ than it is

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I got sick of my Sub Mariner losing time so I bought a Casio Wave Ceptor. The quality is superb – the bracelet is far better quality than the Rolex and, being a Wave Ceptor, it's never wrong.

beanum

Jenga
    Free Member

I've just bought one of these.

http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Seiko-Gents-Automatic-SRP011K1.html

Pretty good so far; don't know if it's high enough up the blingometer for you.

MrNutt
    Free Member

how about the Louis Vuitton Tambour Mysterieuse Calibre LV115?

derek_starship
    Free Member

What about one of these? Under a ton, 3 year guarantee and 50m water resist.

MrNutt
    Free Member

when I was looking for a new watch I couldn't have given an arse about anything but readability, I bought one of these:

the thing on it I use the most is the little window that tells me what day it is, sometimes I'm quite aghast just how long or short some of these boxes of hours can be!

giantjason
    Free Member

i have one of these.

Great for just fitting and forgetting about.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i like the superdry and the mondaine ones.

jimmy

Oceanus do nice watches. I believe they're part of casio so quality should be up there.

Padowan
    Free Member

I've got one of these. Bombproof, solar powered, world time, stopwatch and atomic accuracy.

cxi
    Free Member

Skagen do some nice watches.

I've got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skagen-596XLTXM-Titanium-Multifunction-Bracelet/dp/B000IZC8FC

Got mine in Macy's in Boston for £100 or so though 😀

petrieboy

Calibre 2100 by citizen may appeal.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Padowan does that g-shock also turn into a robot?

Woody
    Free Member

Depeneds what you are looking to spend and what you look for in a watch.

The whole PRECISTA range is superbly made. I have a PRS3 LE which is stunning value for the spec.

Solo
    Free Member

Excellent !. Exactly what I thought when I saw it 😆

S.

chipps

Another vote for the Mondaine here. Not silly money either.

I went round a huge watch shop in Japan, looking only for the most readable faces regardless of price. There was nothing close to the Mondaine. Plus it's the Swiss railways' watch and it's amusing to see a metre-wide version of your watch face on a station platform.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Got a mobile phone? Just look at the clock on that. £100+ saved! Ace! 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

+1 for the mondaine

I have a mondaine automatic… my fiancee bought me it when we got engaged; she wanted to buy me a present, and I wanted something that would last longer than a camera or gadget.

i absolutely love it!

Dave

redthunder
    Free Member

CANT DELETE

beanum

The Swiss transport anagrams (seen on the Mondriane, above) always make me chuckle..

SBB CFF FFS

it's just missing an exclamation mark..:-)

jimmy

chortle

I'm feeling drawn in by montaine simplicity

wwaswas

Victorinox do some quite nice mechanical watches along the Mondaine line.

The back of my one looks virtually identical to the pic above tbh.

fubar
    Free Member

Eco-Drive is fantastic (if you can find on you like the look of)…just keeps on working no batteries and no winding (I've been using 2 over 12 years…only changed from the first because I wanted a new watch, it was still working perfectly)

Flaperon

Got the Eco-Drive from H Samuels in the end – very impressed with both the watch and service. And it was half price. 🙂

Tempted by the Casio Waveceptor ones but after several attempts in the shop to play with it resulted in the hands randomly spinning around, I gave up. I also fly a lot as part of my job (6 times a day in some cases) and I think the radio controlled bit would get hopelessly confused.

Thanks for the advice – looking forward to never having to get a battery changed. 🙂

CountZero

I like the Mondraine and Superdry faces. The perfect watch for me is the Bell & Ross range, with the orange markers. Clear as a bell to read quickly in all conditions. Can't afford a real one but there are some quality replicas with proper automatic mechanical movements for around a ton.

boblo
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member
    <snip>
    so I bought a Casio Wave Ceptor. The quality is superb – the bracelet is far better quality than the Rolex
    <snip>

Yeah right….One thing about the Roly's is they are good quality even though they keep crap time. Your's must have been a Friday/HK £10 special….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was about to say how good my TagHeuer is but I've just noticed that the second hand has started counting in 4 second gaps – WTF?

wozza70
    Free Member

http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/watches/chronoautomatic-view.html

Look at the 3D view of the Blunge [blue face]. Honestly in the flesh it looks and feels like a quality timepiece… of course I would say that though, as I have one on my wrist 😉

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Southern Yeti. Is it a quartz model? Battery going?

vrapan
    Free Member

Seiko Chronograph

It is not half as big as it might look, I have a tiny wrist and still looks nice 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

rumbledethumps – Member
    Southern Yeti. Is it a quartz model? Battery going?

Yeah, just had to check the manual, had it for 5 years never changed the battery despite them supposedly lasting just 18 months. Based on this I'd say get a tag, awesome watch. Still keeping time even if only every 4 seconds. 🙂

prettygreenparrot

After a bit of hunting I got the Fortis Cosmonaut's day/date a few years ago. It works. And like many ETA movement watches you can change the day to read German or English day abbreviations. It's on page 4 of this Fortis (Flash) catalogue 2010

I like having an automatic.

AndyF1
    Free Member

Needs a new battery Yeti,back to normal for a few years again then.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a new watch’ is closed to new replies.