Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me choose a new FS…
  • jimdubleyou

I recently bought an On-One Big dog hardtail, which is designed to be my multi day bikepacking/can still ride a trail if I need to bike. I like it, it’s comfy and capable.

Riding it has made me realise my Canyon Nerve FS is a) a bit dated in geometry and b) a bit small for me.

The FS is for fun days out, where I might be on the bike for 4-6 hours, there might be some swoopy singletrack, a few small drop offs and a fair bit of climbing. I also live in Twickenham so there’s 10km of “boring” before I get to anything so it has to pedal well.

So, I think my criteria for a new bike are:
    29er (boost)
    No more than 140mm travel, probably 125-130 would be better.
    Modernish geometry, reach – 460 ish in a large to match the Big Dog.
    No more than £2500
    Ambivalent on frame material. Carbon probably out of question due to cost.

Something like an SC Tallboy (maybe over budget), or a Marin Rift Zone (if I can find one) could fit the bill.

Any other suggestions in the “shortish travel but modern” category?

danti

Sonder Cortex
    Cotic Flaremax – maybe beyond £2.5k

martinhutch

Scott Spark/Orbea Oiz TR Alloy for the terrain you talk about (other ‘downcountry’ short travel FS are available). 120 travel on my Oiz, very capable. Doesn’t feel like a compromise on anything except really rocky steep stuff. The Orbeas are very well equipped at your price point – 34 StepCast fork on the H20, Shimano 12 speed etc.

Don’t know what size you mean in regard to reach – Oiz TR is 450ish in L, 460 in XL.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Welcome to the ‘shit, Ive been riding the wrong shape bike for years’ epiphany.

Happened to me too, and cost me the price of a canadian FS a couple of years ago after getting a Last Fastforward.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A friend has a new Orbea Occam which is lovely so in your case, maybe the Oiz? I think some of them can be had around that price?

PolisherMan

Giant Trance 29er 130/115mm. The most funest and capable I’ve owned!

dickie
    Free Member
    ogden
    Free Member

Bird Aether 7?

zezaskar
    Free Member

Bird Aether 9C

jimdubleyou

Bird Aether 9C

Tempting – is there anything other than a picture yet?

Sonder Cortex

This is winning so far I think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a new FS…’ is closed to new replies.