• This topic has 106 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by bails.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Help me choose a big estate car…
  • i_like_food

So, by way of a warning, nothing is going to happen quickly on this thread… But your advice will be appreciated.

I have a 57 plate VW T5 van that I love. 105000 miles and converted into a 5 seat day van, perfect for biking/running and general having fun.

However a new job means a) a 3 day/wk 60 mile commute on a mix of rural a roads and motorway and b) I need to look a bit more ‘grown up’.

So, time for a change. There is no massive rush as the new job doesn’t start till August but I’m pondering anyway.

I’ve never had a ‘nice’ car (which my my standards means air con or electric windows or even… Leather seats!) and think it would be nice to have one at least once. My other criteria are:

1) bike friendly. Ideally 1 slides straight into the back wheels on and for more than one/muddy I’ll get a roof rack or tow bar rack.

2) reliable. This means hopefully no big bills in the next couple of years and won’t leave me on the side of the road calling my new boss.

3) look like I’m a professional/grown up (so yellow hot hatches are out)

4) comfortable and easy for the commute, I’ve had a 10 minute pedal to work for the last 3 years so am dreading the drive.

5) ‘nice’ (see above). I’m not really sure what this means but not bangernomics, that’s what I’ve done for the last 20 years.

6) ideally about cost neutral with selling the van, although I’m not sure what I’d get for it. At the most I’d put in £2000.

7) Not a older Berlingo type (I’ve had 3 and love them but need an estate type car). I’d get a newer Berlingo but that’s out of my price range.

I was thinking Merc E class estate, Skoda Superb estate, Octavia Estate, Mondeo Estate.

The Mercs look comfy and there are ones about with FSH about 100,000 miles on for about £9000. For the others about £7000 gets ones with that mileage and FSH.

I should add I’ve only ever bought cars privately and I’ve been lucky, I don’t know anything about cars really and am always amazed when forumites pop up on these threads and say things like “avoid the E220cdi engine with the wobblescoot injectors, it’s a known failure point etc”. So that’s sort of what I’m hoping for.

Like I said, no rush as I’ve yet to clean/advertise the van, but thought I’d ask for advice, not least to stop me endlessly scrolling through cars on motors.co.uk

If you’ve got experience of any of those type cars, or have another option to throw in that would be great.

Or obviously if you’re looking to swap your car for a van 🤣

shanner
    Free Member

I’d go for any newish Volvo estate.

I own a current gen xc90 and its great for chucking the bike in the back. But its our family car and I cant always take it to the trails. My other car is a 3 series which I hate(only because its not so easy getting bikes into it) and looking to switch to a Volvo v90 in the near future.

duncancallum

Honda prelude estate

Ford mondeo

Mazda 6

My top 3

olly2097
    Free Member

Mondeo. Great car. Depreciates badly so you get a lot of car for little money.
    Can get a nice titanium X with low miles for that money. Nice and reliable. They also handle well.

I would say that as I drive one.

onewheelgood

I had 2 V6 diesel Audi A6 Avants. Loved them. Leather, all the toys you need, very comfortable, loads of space (although probably not quite as much as an E-class), fast, and a very reassuring place to be in filthy weather in the dark.

duncancallum

Oh left field a6 allroad

twistedpencil

Love my mondeo. I have to drop the front wheel off a big 29er to get it in the boot, but does everything I want and more. Starting to look a bit tatty now after 6years of abuse with three kids and a dog. It’s 10years old and 147k on the clock. No big bills yet, aircon went pop last summer, but I can live without that.  Will replace with a newer deo when the time comes.

Having said that would love a van, but know I’d only use its capacity a couple of times a year, I stick a roof box and a bike rack on for family holidays…

andrewh
    Free Member

Mondeo, V70, Accord are the three I would be looking at.
    Can’t imagine giving up a van though! Are you sure you want to do this?

i_like_food

Wow, that was quick. Thanks, back to motors.co.uk to check the Honda, Mazda and Volvo options out.

What about petrol Vs diesel. I’ll do about 10000 miles a year I reckon?

@onewheelgood
    did a bike go in your A6 wheels on? They look a bit smaller to me? I do like the idea of the safety aspect, I’ve had too many years of crap tin-foil cars on wet dark roads. That was the nice thing about the van, nice and high and a feeling of being in a solid thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Volvo XC70.

Or a Mondeo.

funkrodent

Ford Galaxy for the win. I’d have thought a 2010/11 model would easily be in your price range. Drive like a car, shed loads of room and pretty reliable. You can fit bikes in no problem and still have loads of space. Failing that a Mondeo. Fords are reliable, great to drive and cheap to repair. What’s not to like?

i_like_food

@amdrewh, no, not really! I’ve just spent £1400 on the van having the head skimmed, new cam belt etc and £500 in August on new brake discs and bits so I think it’s going to be pretty reliable… But i think I need to start this job with a different car (once I’m settled in I can always go back to an van!).

IvanDobski
    Free Member

You probably won’t get a decent sized MTB in the back of a superb with both the wheels on. The length is fine but the boot slopes too much to clear the handlebars.

If I was buying a new car to meet your requirements I’d be getting some sort of big MPV – a C4 grand Picasso takes a big 29er wheels on easily enough.

sharkattack

If not a Mondeo or Octavia, how about the Wagon Queen Family Truckster?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Meh, what you need is the Wagon Queen Family Truckster. Available in Metallic Pea.

Car

jambourgie
    Free Member

sharkattack knows about cars.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I used to be able to get my 26’er in an Octavia and reckon you’d get a modern bike in a superb; they’re vast. EClass perhaps a touch bigger

ernie

I’ve had a 59 plate V70 for 3 years now. To be blunt: I love it. I can get a 29er in the boot with the wheels off. Can go kn long weekends with the family (all luggage and bike in the boot). For me, it drives well, economic (2l td) and is sooo comfy. I haven’t been found wanting for awd or the xc series, if I dk change it will be because I want to rather than need to. Service costs are fine (local garage), tyres ~£100 for mid range. Did I say how comfy it is?

i_like_food

Love the wooden bodywork on the WQFT!

bigblackshed

Skoda Superb estate. Elegance model so it has the toys.

onewheelgood

did a bike go in your A6 wheels on?

A 26er did. I don’t think you’d get my Jeffsy in one though. But what does it take to get the wheels off? 30 seconds?

Northwind

AT that money you could get a really good mk3 mondeo or a very good mk4… The mk3 2.2 diesel estate is an epic bike carrier and excellent commuter, it doesn’t really cost any more to run than the 2.0 but it turns the engine from decent enough to effortless. They are getting on a bit though- mine was at the point where even though it was still completely solid, no structural rust issues or anything, it was throwing up pretty regular minor issues and basically it was getting hard to work on- simple fixes like a wheel bearing could suddenly become big jobs because everything was basically welded together. The Ghia X and Titanium X are basically the same as the ST but with more ground clearance, nicer interiors, and cheaper. I miss mine even though I replaced it with a better car.

They really are big though, big enough to make a real difference in parking- mine was physically bigger than the parking spaces at my local tesco frinstance, it sat on the white lines on both sides and stuck about 18 inches out of the end.

The Octavia isn’t really in the same size class imo, never had one but lots of friends have and they seem excellent, really nice to drive. But the boot is a big chunk smaller and also just not as practical, with the bloody stupid boot lip instead of proper flat entry. For bike hauling stuff they’re slightly sub-Focus rather than Mondeo. Still, really good and it seems like in general they’re aging a bit better than the old mondeos.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Brand new Dacia logan and the rest in funds

MarkyG82

Just got a Passat after an Octavia estate. Either of those should fit. Would have gone for the superb estate but the hybrid was out of budget hence the Passat.

james-rennie

I’ve got a mk4 mondeo estate. Tdci, manual gearbox.
    Boot is plenty big enough.
    Seats down and we chuck 2 29ers in the back.
    Seats up and and there’s enough boot space for weekends family camping gear.
    140k miles now, never had any problems.
    I’d get another, but it’d have to be petrol, diesel is too noisy.

nparker

14 plate V70 here, great for carrying bikes, £30 a year to tax and super comfy to drive. Averaged 58mpg on the 600 mile drive home from Inverness last summer. Exciting it isn’t but I love it!

i_like_food

@northwind thanks, really helpful. What sort of mileage do you think those little issues start? My bangernomics cars have always taken a battering and so at 100,000 miles never look like the cars on the websites with 100,000.

hunta

Skoda Superb Estate Elegance here. Love it, been completely reliable over 8 years of ownership with no shock bills to date, touch wood. Leather interior great for kiddy puke and general grime. Not a sporty handler but it can lift up its skirts and get away in a straight line OK (2.0 TDi).

I can’t get my Giant Trance L 26″ in without taking the front wheel off though, even with the seats down but I can easily chuck a Thule rack on the back(boot lid dangly job) for two adult bikes and still get two kids’ 20″ bikes in the boot with the seats up.

Recently looked at valuations when contemplating a van and reckoned I could get about £8k+ for it (MY2011 but low miles).

TomB

I’ve got a 65 reg superb SEL executive. Feels properly grown up, and is vast. Brillinat family car, throw bikes in back with seats down if just 2 of us (front wheels off), 50mpg+, 2.0 tdi. Very happy after 3 years of ownership.

i_like_food

Ok, thanks @hunta.

@twistedpencil
    how old was your Mondeo when you got it? What you said about only using the size of a van a few times a year rings true… But I’ll definitely miss the convenience!

So list is now:

Mondeo Estate
    Volvo V70
    Skoda Superb
    VW Passat
    Honda Prelude
    Ford Galaxy or other big MPV

devbrix
    Free Member

E Class estates since 2006 here. First did 200k, second has done 100k both without blinking at all and insides like new. Second just sailed through MOT even though 7 years old. Massive load carrying space and flat carrier surface and can slide a bike in fully with both wheels on. Backseats go down automatically. Cruiser on the motorway. Very comfy, quiet compared to some competition and even 220s are powerful. The only thing that bugs me is the parcel shelf which is heavy and a pain to fit back on.

twistedpencil

2009 deo mkIV. I was nearly swayed by a Jag, but it had a lip in the boot so that was out and I stayed true to the mondeo. Having somewhere to sit to get changed is most important.

jam-bo

Can fit my 29r, wheels on in the back of my Subaru  outback.

Gribs

Saab 9-5. Go full bangernomics, keep the van, but still look respectable. They’re very comfortable and even the poverty spec has climate and cruise.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Love a Mondeo but seeing as your buying an older car with a few miles on can I suggest a BMW 520d Tourer. By far the best car with the best engine IMHO. With a couple of Thule bike carriers on the roof you’ll be ready to go.

Waderider
    Free Member

I love my V70 reliable, killer stereo, amazingly comfortable, any bike I own fits in wheels on with the back seat down.

Northwind

i_like_food

@northwind
    thanks, really helpful. What sort of mileage do you think those little issues start? My bangernomics cars have always taken a battering and so at 100,000 miles never look like the cars on the websites with 100,000.

Not sure it’s really mileage related, much more depends on how hard those miles were. Mine had been in Scotland from new so harsher winters and had definitely been a little neglected in the few years before I got it… some of these were pretty well cared for from new while others, not so much. So basically have a good look. I think cosmetic condition is actually a pretty good indicator on these- nobody’s likely to spend a lot to spruce up a battered one so if it looks good then it’s almost certainly been cared for. Interior is miles of ugly plastic elephant skin but very durable.

Over 100000 if it’s original clutch and turbo then you’re definitely in “not that I don’t trust it but I also won’t be shocked if they go”, clutch slave is concentric too which means it’s a clutch off job to change. They have a bad rep for injectors but it’s absolute nonsense tbf, I ended up buying new ones for £170 when needed, fitted myself (takes about 5 minutes) and coded myself with a laptop, the tool and interface box combined were £30. Everyone’s heard of someone that got charged a grand to replace them but you never meet anyone who’s actually paid that. The 6 speed is really fantastic, fast and positive.

i_like_food

@gribs hah, I’d love two but think the cost and faff of two vehicles is a bit much for me. Although now you’ve got me thinking about an MX5 🤣

@inbred
    hmmm, hadn’t thought of that, they look kind of small but that can’t be the case. Will add to list.

@northwind
    . Thanks, really useful

@jam-bo
    because I don’t see many Subaru’s about I had always assumed be expensive to fix? I’ll have a research.

This has been really helpful. Time to get the van cleaned up and advertised. Once it’s gone I’ll find a few from the list that are close enough to ride to and post them up for suggestions/comments.

Much appreciated all, thanks for all the input. 👍

Saccades
    Free Member

Similar to you except my cycle commute was 25km each way and the new commute is 60km each way, 5 days a week.

I run a v60 with my large enduro bike, front wheel is off in 30 seconds and it goes in no bother.

The v60 is a lovely place to sit. Have driven for up to 10 hours and been so much fresher than expected.

Not as big as a Mondeo mind.

phil5556

Keep the van. Spend the extra £2k you want to put in to your new car in to tidying the van up and making it look “more grown up.”

What job is it, if your vehicle matters then surely the company should be paying an allowance for you to get something they want you to drive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a big estate car…’ is closed to new replies.