Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me change my old HT into commuter rocket
  • rocco

So with the intention of commuting a lot more, due to a couple of threads on here, I need to have a bike that is a little more geared to commuting. As much as I’d love to buy a new one the funds just aren’t there so I’m looking into changing my old HT, which is just sitting around doing nothing, into a commuter rocket 😀 I can fit 700c wheels onto the frame but I would have to buy new disc wheels, so unless anyone knows of any cx wheels cheap I’ll have to stick to 26″

So what would people suggest, I’m thinking slick tyres, seat post mounted rack and mud guards(Doesn’t have rack or guard mounts).

Also looking for opinions on panniers and a set of cheapish mtb shoes as I’m fed up carrying a rucksack and my road shoes are getting trashed.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I picked up a seatpost mounted rack from Tesco’s. about a tenner. Narrow slicks at a decent pressure. Going further, look out for some cheap tri bars. A big difference into the wind.

kcal

It’s not used as a commuter, but I completely converted an M2 to road duties with fixed gear, large-ish ring, slick tyres and flared drop bars – doesn’t look quite like this but get idea –

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I converted my old genesis into a commuter. Been doing a 24 mile round trip daily for about a year now through Swinley and canal paths. I would suggest going rigid, picked up a set of on one steel forks for about 40 squid and have stuck a 29″ wheel in to raise the front end a bit. Bar ends are marmite but I would not be without my ergon grips – allows you to change hand position and makes climbing easy. Running ghetto tubeless which is great to stop thorn punctures. Here it is currently with knobblies on but I also have a set of big apples which are absolutely fantastic for the summer. Average about 15 mph on single track and kitty litter paths which will do me for now.

chrishc777
    Free Member

My kona fire mountain is slowly evolving into a commuter, p2 forks, speed cruiser slicks and singlespeed at the moment, going 1×10 when the drivetrain starts going on the big bike! Briliant fun, better than going on the road whippet! Not as fast mind..

m360
    Free Member

I converted mine recently, for commuting and touring. Have a read here if you like:

From Mountain Bike to Touring Bike

Racks and mudguards are easy enough to fit to most frames and forks with some DIY.

The Conti SportContact are a great tyre for commuting, grip well on the road in wet and dry. Would have gone for 1.3″ for commuting, but fully loaded I think the 1.6″ was the right choice.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

As great as slicks are, might be worth considering some semi slicks/low tread type tyres. I think you can get them with puncture protection etc. Just allows more freedom to ride a different type of route imho.

robland
    Free Member

I Converted my old Kona expensive for commuting i run it as a single speed but im going to convert it to 1×10. Also the continental travel contact tyre is the best tyre i have ever used for commuting.

rocco

I’ll take a look at the racks in tesco as that sounds perfect. Any recommendations for panniers and tyres?

I’ll change to rigids eventually but trying to do this as cheap as possible to start with. I was also thinking if changing to SS when cassette etc wears out

m360
    Free Member

If you’re not bothered about “quality” so much, the Dunlop range in Sports Direct is pretty good for pannier racks and panniers. They’re not bad either, looking at them. Just a bit of a faff to put on and off, and not waterproof, but you could leave them on and line them with rubble sacks.

howellj1
    Free Member

Try ebay for 29er wheels as bikers upgrade new bikes; ive ha e some real bargains oem with discs included. Bar ends are great; allow a bit more of a low position on the straights or splash out on something like woodchipper bars. Schwalbe marathons are my fave commuting tyres. Yes to mud guards; think abouta bar bag or frame bag if you don’t have to cart a ton of stuff to work. Great fun building the ideal commuter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me change my old HT into commuter rocket’ is closed to new replies.