• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by spev.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help me! Budget tablet quandry
  • spev

I’ve dropped my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, not worth repairing it. Given I only use the tablet for web,email, light gaming,( card games and puzzles mostly) Netflix and streaming stuff from Google play and music I have a dilemma. Should I get a Galaxy tab A 10.2″ for about £159, an iPad 10.2″ at £289 or something in between? It needs to be 10″ or bigger and ideally under £300.
    Feel free to suggest what you have etc

longmover
    Free Member

I have a kindle fire 10 HD. you can run google play on it, it takes about 5 minutes to do so.

The battery life is good and the screen quality is good enough for me.

cinnamon_girl

Have just been in a similar situation, my Galaxy Tab 3 had become pretty much unusable although it hadn’t exactly had a hard life for something 6 years old. What had become an issue was with some streaming apps that would not support such an “old” product.

My requirements were minimum 10″ screen, android, no “i” in the name and it would only be used for surfing and streaming with a Chromecast. Read reviews, considered the Lenovo which had decent reviews but, despite saying I’d never buy Samsung again, went for the one you’ve mentioned above. JL offer a 3 year guarantee in case you didn’t know and they’re back in stock.

oldtennisshoes

iPad from the apple refurb store is hard to beat IMHO

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at Huawei tablets, the T5 or M5 Lite are good value. Decent screen and speakers etc.

fettlin

Typing this on tab A 10.2, a Christmas present from my better half.

Been using it for all the things you describe and it’s pretty good at all of them. Not super fast but not frustratingly slow either, pretty good for the money you’ve seen it at. Feels more expensive as it has a metal case. Screen is excellent for watching video as well, really sharp.

Cougar

One thing to consider if you go from Android to Apple (or vice versa), you’ll have to buy any apps you own all over again.

The iPad might be “better,” but is it twice-the-price better? Given your usage I think I’d find that hard to justify personally.

spev

Yeah that’s what I thought about the Apple, I don’t have many apps that I use really anyway so that wouldn’t be a problem, but the price doesn’t seem justifiable really. I did consider the Huawei tabs but there aren’t many reviews of them. I’ll go look at the Tab A tomorrow and decide. Cheers for the feedback all. (woulda replied earlier but managed a ride where it wasn’t raining.

cheers_drive

We got the kids Huawei M3 lites for Christmas. Only £120 for 32GB storage and 3GB ram plus SD file storage (not apps). Build quality seems really good and screen image quality is brilliant for the money.

ampthill

We have a tab a. It works…..

garage-dweller

We have just bought the Samsung one the OP refers to. There’s also a slightly older Samsung model at about £200 with more memory. Initial impressions are good and as noted above the screen is very clear.

disco_stu
    Free Member

One thing to consider is how long will you be getting updates for it – my iPad Mini2 is still getting OS updates 6 years after it’s release. Websites in Chrome or Safari are a little slow on it but it’s still usable, the apps I use haven’t realy been affected in the same way.

mattyfez

Got my nan a Samsung tab A, 10.2? 2019. For £150

As family tech support I set it up and put some apps on it for her.

I thought it was pretty good personally, nice screen as said above.

I’m not a tablet user myself so can’t really compare but I felt it was good for £150.

Gunz
    Free Member

I really rate my Lenovo Yoga. It’s got great battery life, a surprisingly useful built-in stand and the speakers are easily good enough for films or kitchen radio listening.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Slate-Black/dp/B01IUA6FFA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lenovo+yoga+tablet&qid=1577738680&sr=8-3

cranberry
    Free Member

Look out for a Tab S5e – first search was £330 from Currys, you should be able to get one to match your budget with a bit of shopping around.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-s5e-10-5-tablet-64-gb-black-10192064-pdt.html

spev

Cheers all, bought a tabA 2019 10.1″ in the end, does the job I wanted, other than that its difficult to buy anything else as apart from Currys no one has stores with stock (and currys has limited stock) and its the sort of thing i like to have a look at first 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help me! Budget tablet quandry’ is closed to new replies.